Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul Bipod early thoughts

I’ve had less than 72 hours to play around with this thing, and haven’t used it or abused it to see what it can really handle. My observations are from handling it, and firing a few rounds in a fairly controlled environment.

Overall assessment: I really like it. The initial unveiling of it six months ago or so sort of turned me off on appearance only, but I have come to realize what I didn’t like about it was actually functional.

The tilt feature and leg adjustments make it really easy to adapt the bipod to just about any a typical shooting location you might find yourself in. This is a really weak example, but it’s all I could manage on my lunch break. The rifle is leveled out:

I like the pan and tilt features, and I also like how easy it is to lock out at one or both of them, depending on how you are shooting. In order to lock out the pan feature, the adjustment knob on the bottom needs to be unscrewed all the way, And you will see that the bipod sort of comes apart in several layers. The middle layer is what needs to be turned around, and by turning around that middle layer, it will block the pain feature out with some teeth that are inside it. See the following picture

Another thing I like is that the bottom of the adjustment knob that you can use to tighten up to eliminate or lock down the tilt is flat, So if you were shooting with the bipod legs in the collapsed position, you could have a flat mating surface for your shooting platform. This is a lot better (and more functional) than the small screw you see on the bottom of a Harris bipod

The only thing I’m having an issue with are the buttons used to collapse the legs; they have to be pushed directly in....if your thumb is off centered and you put any sideways force on the button....ain’t gonna work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One question on a point that's always important to me. Stealth. Is it at least reasonably quiet? Or I guess a better way to put it, is it solid, and you don't sound like you're shaking a spray paint can while creeping to your spot? Have you had enough time with it to compare it to a Harris?

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    One question on a point that's always important to me. Stealth. Is it at least reasonably quiet? Or I guess a better way to put it, is it solid, and you don't sound like you're shaking a spray paint can while creeping to your spot? Have you had enough time with it to compare it to a Harris?

FT

No rattle that I heard. I was jogging around in the yard holding the rifle seeing how fast I could drop the legs and prone out.

And you can conceal/eliminate the clicks that the legs make when locking into place and extending by holding the unlock buttons and releasing them when the legs are extended or deployed

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bought the Picatinny version last week for $104.. Haven't tried to lock out pan.. I like the Bipod..
    Just wish i had Bought the ARM 17s version instead... which adds $60 - $80 depending on which QD Mount you buy..
    Its also a MonoPud w that Rubber Foot on the Botton of the Knob.. which is cool..
    IMG_4501 by Zhou Jett, on Flickr
    IMG_4677 by Zhou Jett, on Flickr
    Last edited by ZhouJett; 21 September 2018 at 13:23.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine is the MLOK version if I didn’t make that known before

Downloads
    Uploads
    The other downside to the ARMS version is it makes the bipod taller. I have an ADM mount on mine. Convenient, but it's slightly annoying when the cant axis is so far below the handguard.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    The other downside to the ARMS version is it makes the bipod taller. I have an ADM mount on mine. Convenient, but it's slightly annoying when the cant axis is so far below the handguard.
    Good to know... Give and Take I guess.. I think all the 17s mounts will have same effect..
    i was lookin at the ADM mount w new TAC lever like the ADM Delta-C Scope mount i just bought..
    The Cant Axis on my Accu Tac is even further away from center Bore.. So its all relative to what you can get used to..
    Ill just settle for the Picatinny one i got for now.. I still like it overall..
    Last edited by ZhouJett; 22 September 2018 at 17:08.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ZhouJett View Post
    Good to know... i was lookin at the ADM mount.. I think all the 17s mounts will have same effect..
    Ill just settle for the one i got i guess..
    Yes, it doesn't matter which one you use.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Mine is the MLOK version if I didn’t make that known before
    FB,
    Have you got much experience with a Harris? If so, how would you compare the two? I'll have to buy a Pic model, and clamp it onto a Pic/Keymod mount. Wish there was a way to convert it into a QD, without stacking a lot of extra parts into it.

Thanks,
    FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 17 April 2019 at 18:46.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what are your thoughts now after using it awhile?

Gtg?

So the mlok version mounts strait to the rail?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    So what are your thoughts now after using it awhile?

Gtg?

So the mlok version mounts strait to the rail?

I missed Tom’s earlier reply so I’ll answer his questions also

Mustang, I really like it. It’s quiet, no spring “sproing” noises like my Harris is prone to do. Every time I shoot the rifle, I can feel/hear the springs slightly humming due to the vibration in the spring. I tried putting some electrical tape on them to dampen the vibrations but it didn’t do much

The MLok version (and Keymod if they make it) mounts straight to the rail, correct.

I would’ve bought another one today if they had the FDE Picatinny model in stock

Tom; I like this a lot better than the Harris. I have used my Harris’s pretty hard and the legs are starting to rub really badly on the metal frame where they swing out causing a gritty sound and they’re not as fluid anymore when they hinge. The spring noise is also a huge frustration for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm.... when I get back from fishing in FL, I might score one for my 6.8 SPC. Might be a great coyote gun. Those suckers can hear a fly fart from a mile away. My Harris set-up on my LR is pretty noisy and a lot more heavy to drag around when setting up my "hide". Thanks for the info.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I missed Tom’s earlier reply so I’ll answer his questions also

Mustang, I really like it. It’s quiet, no spring “sproing” noises like my Harris is prone to do. Every time I shoot the rifle, I can feel/hear the springs slightly humming due to the vibration in the spring. I tried putting some electrical tape on them to dampen the vibrations but it didn’t do much

The MLok version (and Keymod if they make it) mounts straight to the rail, correct.

I would’ve bought another one today if they had the FDE Picatinny model in stock

Tom; I like this a lot better than the Harris. I have used my Harris’s pretty hard and the legs are starting to rub really badly on the metal frame where they swing out causing a gritty sound and they’re not as fluid anymore when they hinge. The spring noise is also a huge frustration for me.
    Cool.

Thanks for the info..haven’t played with any still. I need something , I’ve got one old, and noisy Harris, that I’ve had no problem, and mine sounds similar to yours. It’s bounced back from a few guns and couple of them go out at the same time, so I need something for the 308.