Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 Bullets?

Downloads
    Uploads

.308 Bullets?

I am looking for a source of cheap heavy .308 bullets. I will primarily be loading those as subsonic 300 BLK for plinking ammo.

I have found these guys here who make plated bullets for about .20 cents each if you buy in bulk. I've used plated bullets in pistol ammo all the time, but never in a rifle and never that brand.

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullet...tml?caliber=42

Any suggestions for a cheap plinker bullet in the 190-220 grain range that is generally available in bulk? Ideally I would like to get something like Hornady bullets that are FMJ and that come in a big bulk box like they do with .224 bullets but I haven't seen any bulk boxes of .308 bullets anywhere really. I think Nosler is the only one that sells in lots of 1000 (that I know of).

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    What’s the platform?

Heavy bullets and cheap generally don’t go together.

Here are some Hornady bullets, 180gr Round Nose @ $27.64/100ct
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...lure-100-count

I know this is a tad lighter than what you want, but I use 150gr Flat Point bullets by Xtreme for cheap .308 subs. But at about ten cents a bullet, it’s significantly cheaper than most anything else out there, especially for plinking/fun. I use mine with Trail Boss

https://www.xtremebullets.com/308-15...50fp-b0500.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep an eye on Shooters Pro Shop (Nosler outlet) as inventory comes and goes on blems and overruns:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loadi...un-1000ct.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    What’s the platform?
    300 BLK.

I finally dropped the coin and put together an upper. It runs great BTW.

I just need something to load subsonic loads with. Those everglades bullets I put a link to in the original post are the cheapest thing I've found. It's ONLY for plinking rounds, but I have never heard of those guys or know of anyone who has used them.

Like I said I use plated bullets all the time in my pistols, but I never tried any other brands or in a rifle. I was wondering if anyone can vouch for the quality of the bullets or know of another similar product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Keep an eye on Shooters Pro Shop (Nosler outlet) as inventory comes and goes on blems and overruns:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loadi...un-1000ct.html
    Dang. 1000 count and 20% off. $.16 a bullet including shipping! That looks like a pretty good deal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I reloaded I got a bunch of bullets from SPS. Always good deals there

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    When I reloaded I got a bunch of bullets from SPS. Always good deals there
    That deal he posted up is really good.

I can't for the life of me find load data on 190 grain subs though. I am not even going to bother loading supers. I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of bullets. Until I can prove the load works for it's given purpose I should hold off on my itchy purchasing finger.

I have that site bookmarked though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hornady has a new 300 BLK sub in 190 gr.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    That deal he posted up is really good.

I can't for the life of me find load data on 190 grain subs though. I am not even going to bother loading supers. I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of bullets. Until I can prove the load works for it's given purpose I should hold off on my itchy purchasing finger.

I have that site bookmarked though.
    What powder?

I see some A1680 loads (11.0gr @ 2.10) w/ Nosler 190gr HPBT and 10.3gr of IMR 4227 (same bullet)

Downloads
    Uploads
    What powder?

I see some A1680 loads (11.0gr @ 2.10) w/ Nosler 190gr HPBT and 10.3gr of IMR 4227 (same bullet)
    I'm starting from scratch. I have no powders for this to speak of. I did however earlier today bought #1 of H110. It was local so no hazmat and the price was ok considering. It was also listed on Hogdon Reloading for 300 BLK.

Other than that I have nothing except some brass from the rounds I've shot up already.

Once I can try out various recipes for cheap subs and settle on stuff that works I can buy in bulk when stuff goes on sale.

I haven't committed to anything yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, those two powders I mentioned plus Lil Gun and CFE BLK are all pretty solid 300BLK powders

Downloads
    Uploads
    I contacted the Shooter's Warehouse that Dstrbdmedic167 recommended to find out when those bullets would be back in stock. Fortunately for me they looked around and found the last box they had sitting on a shelf and saved it for me. I got 1000 190 grain bullets delivered to the door for .21 cents each. Not too bad of a deal. They look really good.

This is my first foray into Nosler bullets but so far things look great. Thanks for the tip on that website.

On another note I found another place too that sells their own bullets.

https://gallantbullets.com/collectio...=8168289763425

I ordered a box of 1000 217 grain polymer coated bullets for subsonic plinking for $134 delivered. If those wind up shooting well I will buy a lot more to stay in stock. For just backyard subsonic plinking it could be good. I found a few people online that swear by them. Their shipping is slow AF but then again they tell you that before you order that it might take a week or two to ship.

If I can get reasonable accuracy and those end up shooting well that will be good to go as well. I've shot tons of plated bullets but never any coated bullets, and definitely never any out of a rifle. I figured it's worth a try to see how they do. The other people were saying they reliably got I think 3 or 4 inch groups at 200 yards with bullets like those. At a hundred getting 1 to 2 inch groups is fine for me. I'm not going to be doing any benchrest shooting with that gun anyway. Just run and shoot and maybe practice getting around barriers and that kind of stuff.

I will report back eventually about how they did if anyone is interested. If they work out I can ultimately shoot 300 BLK subs all day for around .17 to .18 cents a round or thereabout.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check stabilization before you launch any through your can. I shoot a paper target 2” and 6” away from the muzzle; if it’s wobbling there, it’ll be wobbling inside the can. I also check at 25 and 100 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check stabilization before you launch any through your can. I shoot a paper target 2” and 6” away from the muzzle; if it’s wobbling there, it’ll be wobbling inside the can. I also check at 25 and 100 yards.
    Damn straight! You better believe it. When I get the bullets in (still not shipped) I was actually going to post up about the best way to test this and and what distances.

2 inches? Really now...that's interesting. I have some old political yard signs that I can shoot so I will shoot those at various distances. I definitely didn't think to shoot it THAT close though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Damn straight! You better believe it. When I get the bullets in (still not shipped) I was actually going to post up about the best way to test this and and what distances.

2 inches? Really now...that's interesting. I have some old political yard signs that I can shoot so I will shoot those at various distances. I definitely didn't think to shoot it THAT close though.
    Yup, who cares if it’s not yawing at 100yds if it blew your can up?