Downloads
    Uploads

AR 7.62x39 barrel lengths

So, i have a stripped upper and decided I'm going to go ahead and build this into a 7.62x39 mainly because I have some 7.62x39 ammo and nothing to shoot it with since I traded my SKS for my 1911 .45

Got to thinking also. Don't really want it with a 16" barrel. So, been figuring I'll build it into a pistol build.

Finding barrels isn't so easy, but i have found a number of them at decent prices. Originally I was thinking go with short - 8" or so. Not too many 8" barrels out there, but plenty of 7.5's. Doing some additional searching I did find a 10.5" barrel.

Now, my concern with this is that even with using an adjustable gas block I have a distinct feeling that a 7.62x39 with a 7.5 or 8" barrel is going to be more of a darn flame thrower. There won't be a flash hider on the planet that will kill off the flash I'm thinking. A 10.5" barrel should be better for less flash I'm thinking yet still be manageable as a pistol build. I had wanted to keep it under 24" overall in length so it would fit in a backpack or one of my saddle bags. I'm thinking that I'd be better off with 2½ inches more of barrel for that caliber though.

Ideas and thoughts anyone?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the you'll like the 10.5" a little better. Remember one of the great things about an AR is the take down pins, you can always pop the upper off to put the rifle in a pack and only takes seconds to put her back together. Have you considered something like a Sig brace? 7.62x39 could get a little snappy going short.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have thought about adding a SIG brace to it. I like the Thordsens pistol kit also so I may go with that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    So, i have a stripped upper and decided I'm going to go ahead and build this into a 7.62x39 mainly because I have some 7.62x39 ammo and nothing to shoot it with since I traded my SKS for my 1911 .45

Got to thinking also. Don't really want it with a 16" barrel. So, been figuring I'll build it into a pistol build.

Finding barrels isn't so easy, but i have found a number of them at decent prices. Originally I was thinking go with short - 8" or so. Not too many 8" barrels out there, but plenty of 7.5's. Doing some additional searching I did find a 10.5" barrel.

Now, my concern with this is that even with using an adjustable gas block I have a distinct feeling that a 7.62x39 with a 7.5 or 8" barrel is going to be more of a darn flame thrower. There won't be a flash hider on the planet that will kill off the flash I'm thinking. A 10.5" barrel should be better for less flash I'm thinking yet still be manageable as a pistol build. I had wanted to keep it under 24" overall in length so it would fit in a backpack or one of my saddle bags. I'm thinking that I'd be better off with 2½ inches more of barrel for that caliber though.

Ideas and thoughts anyone?
    I'd imagine either barrel length in 762 is gonna pack a wallop, ever consider the 545 for this project? The Russian's found a 10.75" in that caliber quite effective.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to do it as 7.72x39 because I have 7.62x39 ammo. I don't want to have to get yet another caliber of ammo yet. I'm not really all that concerned about some kick with it. Whatever kick it ends up with won't be anything in comparison to my bolt action 12 gauge. It more the flash I've been thinking about. I think that the 7.5 or 8" barrels will end up shooting out a lot of flame.