Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice!

Downloads
    Uploads
    the only one I have - and it took me quite some time to be able to afford the parts:

Mag Tactical Systems lower receiver
    DPMS lower parts kit
    PSA blem upper receiver (sure can't find any blems on it though)
    Pegasus Defense BCG
    Anderson Manufacturing 1:8 twist 16" barrel
    A.R.M.S flip up sights
    Guntec 7" quadrail handguard
    Guntec rail height gas block
    Yankee Hill Machine gas tube
    Comman Arms Accecssories 6 position but stock kit.
    A2 birdcage, forward assist, ejection port assy. and charging handle manufacturers unknown. They were e-bay parts.
    There's an inexpensive red/green dot for testing. It will get replaced later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As an update to the above post, my driving factor was cost. I had a very limited budget and had to build that over time. The final cost was $603.62 cents and that included everything - tools and mags included. 6 of the mags were brand new P-mags still in the package. It took me 1½ years to put that together probably because i started right at the time of the start of the panic. I had decided about a month before Sandy Hook that I needed to build one and had started planning on parts and the order of getting the parts. Then, wham, bam, parts became next to impossible to get. I did get the lower receiver with the lower parts kit - then pretty much nothing happened for a little while. Now, parts are available again and i do have another stripped lower receiver to start with. So, I'm going to build a 7.62x39 pistol from it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post

This is one of the best builds on the forum. The cerakote BDL did looks amazing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first build i completed a month ago or so just waiting on checking the headspace and going to take it to the range in a week or two.

My goal was to build my dream AR with some of my favorite parts from my favorite companies, to be accurate, light and aesthetically pleasant.

Northtech Defense Lower - Chose the billet receivers because i wanted something different from the norm, my other AR has forged receivers, love the aesthetics of the northtech set and incredible maching

Magpul MOE stock - Love its simplicity and price point
    Noveske QD End plate - Wanted a high quality QD plate
    DPMS buffer tube - Liked the price
    Spikes H2 Buffer - Love the fact that its extremely quiet when sending the bolt into battery, haven't shot it yet but i can update.
    Sprinco Blue Spring - Research told me that these sprinco springs are excellent and they were inexpensive.
    Noveske Takedown pins - Love the noveske outstanding quality control
    CMC Flat 3.5 trigger - Have this in my other AR and i love it. excellent pull.
    KNS anti-rotation pins - Rather have it and not need it that need it and not have it.
    MOE Grip - Simplicity and inexpensive
    Seekins Bolt Catch - Love the heavy duty bolt catch and oversized lever
    Seekins Mag release - Like the matching machined set
    Bad-Ass Dev Ambi safety - One of my favorite upgrades because im a lefty

Northtech Defense Upper

Noveske NSR 13.5 - Love noveske and really love everything about this handrail
    BCM 14.5 HF Barrel - Quality barrel at a reasonable price point
    Rainier Arms NIB BCG - Wanted to try the NIB due to its increased lubricity and ease of cleaning.
    Noveske Raptor CH - One of my favorite upgrades because im a lefty
    Primary Arms MD06 with AD QD mount - Very inexpensive decent optic that can bridge me until i can get a T-1

Sorry for the terrible picture, dont mind the rail missing the screws, it was before i installed it.

Still have a few things to get for it. Looking at some Troy/Noveske BUIS, better optic and a Inforce WML.
    Last edited by tim716; 25 September 2014 at 18:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Explanations on your choices? This IS the explain your AR layout thread guys, and it's one of the best threads on here because of the insight you can glean from other peoples logic and choices. A list doesn't help anyone.

Pics are also more or less mandatory.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sadly no current photos of my build. Will have to take some. This photo is from before some add ons. Everything is milspec where applicable be it for better or for worse. My first AR build so I tried some stuff.

Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower - Couldnt pass it on when these were being closed out and has full auto markings. Has since been color filled with white and the spider is now cherry red.
    Del-Ton Lower Parts kit - Good price and park of a build kit. Trigger is surprisingly good and buffer/spring are nice and quiet.
    Magpul MOE grip - Feels great and looks nice. I can store spare EOTech batteries in it.
    Magpul CTR stock - Zero wobble. None.
    Magpul PMAG 20 and 30 - Had to match the color of the gun. I only run OD PMAGs.

Del-Ton HBAR upper - Good price and part of a build kit. Big fatty barrel with no grenade launcher cutouts makes it a tank but super stout.
    M16 bolt and carrier from Del-Ton - Was a free upgrade and may still be with a parts kit. Had to call them and request it. Brought down my rate of fire.
    YHM riser - Got a great deal on a quality part
    EOTech 512 - I like EOTechs.
    Magpul backup rear iron - Setup for 1/3 co-witness since I have a fixed front sight. Need something for when the AAs in the 512 go out.
    Magpul MOE handguard - More comfort and need to keep with the same color. The barrel is so fat under the hand guard that I had issues with the heat shields.
    YHM Phantom Brake - Wanted to tone things down a little more. Almost zero muzzle rise and little felt recoil.

Overall, very happy with how it turned out. Between the heavier bolt, the brake and what I think may be a heavier buffer spring I have almost zero recoil or muzzle rise though it is a tank. Heaviest AR I have ever shot and probably the slowest firing one I have ever shot. The YHM Phantom brake looks like a meat tenderizer but also has a cross groove which could be useful on locks and such.

Oh, had to match the bag. It travels in an OD bag.

Downloads
    Uploads

Duty Rifle

When I began working for the folks I work with now about 5 years ago, I was given the option of an issued rifle or qualifying with my own. The issued rifles are old A1 uppers and lowers older than I am. I decided to qualify with my own gun. I had an AR that I had (built) around 2005, before the gun scare of ’08. It is a Del-Ton 5.56 upper and has a heavy profile carbine length barrel (.750 all the way to the muzzle). It already had a low-profile gas block on it and the whole upper was $425 to my front door. The lower is a standard Double-Star forged lower with a mil-spec parts kit in it. The same trigger rides in it today with polished sear surfaces and is a constant 6 pounds. I won’t change it. I had $650 in the gun total when I gave her the first facelift with a VLTOR CASV-S mid-length rail. She wore that and a Redi-Mag spare mag device for about 3 years. But, at 9.5 pounds she was a gastly fatty. She went on a diet and this is her now:

At the core she is the same gun I purchased, but now she wears Magpul furniture and sling; a Troy Alpha TRX 15-inch handguard and a Trijicon RMR reflex sight on an ARMS mount. Up front, she has a Streamlight TLR-1 w/thumb pad mounted on top of the rail to facilitate the “Magpul” far reaching grip. On the business end is an AAC shorty single chamber compensator; it just takes the edge off of rapid fire is all. I left the rail section on the underside of the handguard to facilitate a stronger purchase on the gun when wearing gloves—and it does that fantastically.

She weighs 8.8 pounds unloaded now; 9.8 with a full magazine. Here are some more pictures of her relaxing on the porch before going back to work.

Here, below, is a closeup of the RMR. I went from a Vortex Strikefire to this during the rifle's weight loss plan. Second to weight savings, I shed the need for batteries in the sight. I have not had one issue with wash-out in head-on lighting situations like some claim to experience, YMMV. This sight is fantastic and holds up to use and storage in a vehicle without issues. She is showing some wear, but I don't baby the weapon at all. The BUIS are co-witnessed true to the RMR triangle.

My accessories setup is minimal for several reasons. I work in a very reactive environment and lasers and IR stuff is not necessary. I really only need a light attached and I picked a rugged and simple one: Streamlight TLR-1. For $95 you will not find a more capable all-aluminum body light with its lumen intensity. And if you can, I don't bother looking. This one just rocks. I use the thumb pad exclusively--a constantly on light gets you killed.

The AAC brake is functional to some degree, but not like multi-chamber brakes. I like this one because I stay as close to 16" OAL as possible on the barrel and it takes some edge off of the muzzle rise. Ground dust/debris signature is surprisingly minimal with it, too.

Just for show, some 75gr Hornady TAP ammo that I feed her at work. This stuff is like finding unicorn tears around here anymore. Once this dries up, I will need to look for another ammo reasonably equivalent. Again to save weight, Magpul PMAGs.

Plans for the future…

I am looking to replace the barrel on her. The heavy profile is cumbersome and not value-added for the intended use of the gun. I am planning to replace it with a thinner profile barrel, such as a Rainier Arms Mountain series or similar 1/8 twist barrel. The current barrel is a 1/9 twist and does stabilize my 75gr Hornady TAP rounds superbly, though. So it is not an accuracy issue whatsoever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started with a LE6920 MPFDE, but really didn't care much for the plastic forearm with the "screw a piece of rail where you want to put something" approach. I changed out to a Troy DI Battlerail, and mounted a Sunoptics light and vertic. grip combo (which I am rethinking because of weight, may go to surefire in mount and pad on lighter, shorter grip). Then added the K15 Kryptonite green laser which I really like for the size and weight. Next added the Burris AR536 which I am very pleased with allaround. Next came the Geissele SSA E trigger (I don't know why Colt doesn't just buy them out and put them on every rifle they make). Magpull 2 point to single point sling (wish it were a little longer) with left side ring mounted behind laser on top rail. Last addition was BCM gunfighter handle in medium to get on easy without hanging on stuff. All in all, it's really utilitarian for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Background- I wanted a rifle that I could do a lot of different tasks with, but not one that would specialize in just one area (hunting small and some medium sized game, home defense, possibly using for a Patrol Rifle). Personally I think the AR family is a pretty versatile one. After using them in a (limited) military and now LE setting, I had some personal opinions on what I thought I wanted on the rifle and what I wanted it to be capable of. At the time, my job situation was kind of rocky with govt shutdowns. I wanted to be able to go from my current LE job to a city/county law enforcement department if necessary and be able to carry this rifle on duty, and this influenced my optic and light decisions.

Rifle specs-
    Upper- BCM factory blem upper. 16 inch standard barrel, 1-7, MP tested with a mid-length gas system. I have seen good accuracy out of standard barrels, and I feel BCM has good QA/QC. Once/if/when the barrel is shot out, I want to try the BFH BCM offering.
    Rail- Centurion C4 12” rail. I wanted a railed fore end to attach accessories, and I wanted a free float rail to mitigate POI shift with accessories attached. Very pleased with the rail so far.
    BCG- Rainier Arms Milspec. I wanted a quality BCG manufactured to Milspec at an affordable price. No problems so far.
    Charging Handle- BCM Mod 4. I bought this to try it out and I liked that it was a stronger design than OEM CH, with a latch that was a little larger. No complaints so far.

Lower- Noveske Arms Chainsaw Gen 1 lower, purchased stripped. Daniel Defense LPK, minus the trigger group. I wanted a Milspec LPK, and I trust DD.
    Trigger- ALG Defense QMS trigger. Not bad, still wondering about getting a Geissele.
    Receiver extension- VLTOR A5. I have a personal friend that worked for VLTOR in the past. He recommended this part with no reservations. I kept track of how this part performed on other forums, and went with it. I have not put enough rounds through the rifle in conjunction with the mid length system to tell for sure, but so far no issues have been encountered.
    Stock- B5 SOPMOD stock. I really like this stock, and I feel the cheek weld is an improvement over the OEM stock.
    Grip- BCM Mod 3. Love this grip over the OEM Colt grip, I liked the perceived reduction in grip angle, as well as the grip texturing.

Accessories-
    BUIS- Magpul MBUS Pro Set. I bought these because they are very low profile when folded away. Pretty easy to make windage and elevation adjustments. Like them so far.
    Sling- Proctor sling. I bought this because it was lightweight, easy to attach, and fulfilled my need for a 2 point sling.
    Light- Surefire Fury 500 lumen- I bought this because I like Surefire products and own several other lights by them. I feel that this light is a good general purpose rifle light. Mounted in a Daniel Defense 1” mount.
    Handstop- Magpul XTM kit. I bought this to give myself a tactile point of reference for my support hand.
    Scope- Vortex Viper 1-4 PST. I bought this to facilitate target engagement from 3m to 500 plus, with the ability to have a 4x zoom for precision shooting. Mounted in a Larue SPR LT-135 mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice all around rifle. How secure is that sling?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlineaz View Post
    Background- I wanted a rifle that I could do a lot of different tasks with, but not one that would specialize in just one area (hunting small and some medium sized game, home defense, possibly using for a Patrol Rifle). Personally I think the AR family is a pretty versatile one. After using them in a (limited) military and now LE setting, I had some personal opinions on what I thought I wanted on the rifle and what I wanted it to be capable of. At the time, my job situation was kind of rocky with govt shutdowns. I wanted to be able to go from my current LE job to a city/county law enforcement department if necessary and be able to carry this rifle on duty, and this influenced my optic and light decisions.

Rifle specs-
    Scope- Vortex Viper 1-4 PST. I bought this to facilitate target engagement from 3m to 500 plus, with the ability to have a 4x zoom for precision shooting. Mounted in a Larue SPR LT-135 mount.
    Out of curiosity, why the LT-135? I'm guessing it's easier to look through the optic when standing/doing anything but prone with that, but are you still able to get a decent cheek-weld?

Downloads
    Uploads
    UWone77, the sling when being worn is cinched down nice and snug by the weight of the rifle. No complaints so far, seems like money well spent. The LT-135 was bought instead of the standard height mount because I didn't realize how low the Magpul Pros would be. Gatordev, the cheek weld is good, the limited prone shooting I have done with it hasn't given me any problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like your setup. I would look at getting one of those arisaka bodies and building up a smaller light.

Other than that, awesome dude.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlineaz View Post

Rifle specs-
    Upper- BCM factory blem upper. 16 inch standard barrel, 1-7, MP tested with a mid-length gas system. I have seen good accuracy out of standard barrels, and I feel BCM has good QA/QC. Once/if/when the barrel is shot out, I want to try the BFH BCM offering.
    Rail- Centurion C4 12” rail. I wanted a railed fore end to attach accessories, and I wanted a free float rail to mitigate POI shift with accessories attached. Very pleased with the rail so far.
    BCG- Rainier Arms Milspec. I wanted a quality BCG manufactured to Milspec at an affordable price. No problems so far.
    Charging Handle- BCM Mod 4. I bought this to try it out and I liked that it was a stronger design than OEM CH, with a latch that was a little larger. No complaints so far.

Lower- Noveske Arms Chainsaw Gen 1 lower, purchased stripped. Daniel Defense LPK, minus the trigger group. I wanted a Milspec LPK, and I trust DD.
    Trigger- ALG Defense QMS trigger. Not bad, still wondering about getting a Geissele.
    Receiver extension- VLTOR A5. I have a personal friend that worked for VLTOR in the past. He recommended this part with no reservations. I kept track of how this part performed on other forums, and went with it. I have not put enough rounds through the rifle in conjunction with the mid length system to tell for sure, but so far no issues have been encountered.
    Stock- B5 SOPMOD stock. I really like this stock, and I feel the cheek weld is an improvement over the OEM stock.
    Grip- BCM Mod 3. Love this grip over the OEM Colt grip, I liked the perceived reduction in grip angle, as well as the grip texturing.

Accessories-
    BUIS- Magpul MBUS Pro Set. I bought these because they are very low profile when folded away. Pretty easy to make windage and elevation adjustments. Like them so far.
    Sling- Proctor sling. I bought this because it was lightweight, easy to attach, and fulfilled my need for a 2 point sling.
    Light- Surefire Fury 500 lumen- I bought this because I like Surefire products and own several other lights by them. I feel that this light is a good general purpose rifle light. Mounted in a Daniel Defense 1” mount.
    Handstop- Magpul XTM kit. I bought this to give myself a tactile point of reference for my support hand.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was actually looking at the Haley Strategic stuff, but I want to actually handle it before I commit to buying into what they had. I guess I'll have to make a trip up to Phoenix now that they are up there. So far the DD Mount has been trouble free. Some changes I might make would be to use an X300U at the 12 o'clock position, and getting this SBR'd, and go with the KMR or an MLOK offering. We'll see, but for the time being, i'm really pleased with it.