Downloads
    Uploads

Midwest SS Gen 1 or Gen 2

All looking for some advice.

About to start an SPR inspired upper build. It will have an 18" heavy barrel and will be only for punching paper. I will be putting a 15" handguard and I have narrowed it down to the MI SS Free Float One-Piece Handguard, but I can't decide between the SS Gen 1 or the Gen 2. Either one will be in FDE and will carry the minimum rails, just one for my QD bipod and spots for a illumination and one/two QD sockets. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the price difference? Did you find a smoking deal on a Gen 1?

In my opinion, Midwest really outdid themselves on the Gen 2 SS. It's really a great handguard, and very easy to install. I think the mounting system (think backwards barrel nut) should be familiar with guys who have installed standard handguards. There's a guild on the site as well.

The Gen 2 is light years ahead of the Gen 1 in terms of ergos and feel in the hand.

Downloads
    Uploads

Midwest SS Gen 1 or Gen 2

Thanks. No great deal. I just think I decided and then I see a picture of the other which starts the whole process over

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerman725 View Post
    Thanks. No great deal. I just think I decided and then I see a picture of the other which starts the whole process over
    This is exactly why when you decide to buy something, you do it, don't look back, don't keep browsing, just make the decision and go.

Seriously though, the Gen 2's are great handguards, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many thanks to all for the input. My smith actually made the decision b/c he couldn't source the Gen 1, but in everything i read that was the right call. will post pics once it lives and breaths

Downloads
    Uploads
    MI SS Gen 2 is one of my favorite handguards. Great choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What Moxydave said. I put a 15" on a .308 build with a 20" barrel, and 12" on two 7.62 x 39 builds. Very nice handguards. If the feel is too small in terms of diameter, you can beef it up with the addition of the MI handguard panels, which are very nice too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    What Moxydave said. I put a 15" on a .308 build with a 20" barrel, and 12" on two 7.62 x 39 builds. Very nice handguards. If the feel is too small in terms of diameter, you can beef it up with the addition of the MI handguard panels, which are very nice too.
    I've got a SSK on one AR and am considering on for a newly acquired A-10, not a lot of choices out there, so this might work out well, if it worked out for you on your .308.
    What pattern receiver did you use, if you don't mind me asking.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I've got a SSK on one AR and am considering on for a newly acquired A-10, not a lot of choices out there, so this might work out well, if it worked out for you on your .308.
    What pattern receiver did you use, if you don't mind me asking.

FT
    The gun I built was for a friend looking for an SPR/Bench gun so we went with the CMT Billet set. The rail height is the DPMS "high", so the handguard I used was the MI-308SS15-DH which is the .210" upper tang.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Gen 2 on one of my rifles. A 15" model. Its really nice. I like it a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Gen 2 also comes with some extra rail sections from what I've seen and, as far as I recall, you have to buy them separately for the Gen 1

Downloads
    Uploads
    I debated the same question for what actually sounds like a similar build, except mine is 20 inch gun. I decided to go with the gen1. Some of the reasons were that I actually wanted the larger diameter tube, I prefer the look of it in comparison, and the gen 1 accepts a trim ring. The trim ring wasn't critical but like I said I just liked the look of the gen 1 better overall. So it was just a bonus.

I don't recall if it came with the rail sections or if I had to order them but I wound up with I believe a 2, 4, and 6 inch rail section each. Not to take anything away from the gen 2 obviously, I can see how most will probably lean toward it. Both should serve you well for the intended purpose and there likely isn't a wrong answer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    The Gen 2 also comes with some extra rail sections from what I've seen and, as far as I recall, you have to buy them separately for the Gen 1
    Gen 2 comes with three 2.5" sections and the Gen 1 comes with a 2" section and a 4" section. On my Gen 2, two of the sections are polymer and the third has a QD socket and is aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used the gen 2 in my SPR inspired build and love it. The barrel I have is a little heavier and this rail is pretty light and offsets it to me. It mounted easy and it was nice that they supplied the barrel nut and wrench with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    Gen 2 comes with three 2.5" sections and the Gen 1 comes with a 2" section and a 4" section. On my Gen 2, two of the sections are polymer and the third has a QD socket and is aluminum.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't quite sure because I looked up their handguards around 2 months ago on their site for planning my pistol build. Also in Gunstruction the Gen 1 doesn't come with rail sections. Iknew the Gen 2 does. I still don't know what handguard I'm going to use for the 7.62x39 pistol - heck, I'm still deciding what barrel length since all I have is the stripped lower receiver. Now because of Sticks awesome giveaway I guess I have to wait until it's over just in case I do win a handguard from it. Then the pistol will become a carbine instead. Can't afford to build both.