Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vortex Viper HS 4-16 vs. Swampfox Patriot 6-24x

Building a 6.5 Grendel AR, debating between these two optics. I'd like to stay below $400 for the optic. Longest range I have available to me right now is 200 yards, so either of these would be more than sufficient. I know Vortex has a good warranty program. Not familiar with the Swampfox brand. If somebody more knowledgeable about the two could chime in with a recommendation, I'd appreciate it.
    Vortex
    Swampfox

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't have access past 200 yards, do you need a 4-16/24 ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If you don't have access past 200 yards, do you need a 4-16/24 ?
    Currently, I don't. But I'm optimistic....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve only had two Vortex optics. I don’t have either anymore. Both needed their warranty. I only personally know one other guy who had a vortex, he ALSO needed to use his warranty and also no longer has the optic.

I know nothing of Swampfox.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Between those 2, Vortrx all day long. Midway has that scope on sake :)

Plus , that grendel has much more capability then a 100 yards...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I’ve only had two Vortex optics. I don’t have either anymore. Both needed their warranty. I only personally know one other guy who had a vortex, he ALSO needed to use his warranty and also no longer has the optic.

I know nothing of Swampfox.
    They took care of you , correct? I’ve sent in 2 vortex scopes for issues, they shipped me brand new ones.That are perfect.

There warranty is the best around. Sure , I’d rather have a nice night force or something. But for the money Vortex is hard to beat
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 29 August 2020 at 20:44.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the price of the Vortex HS 4-16, I’d definitely look at the Diamondback Tactical 4-16 instead

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    They took care of you , correct? I’ve sent in 2 vortex scopes for issues, they shipped me brand new ones.That are perfect.

There warranty is the best around. Sure , I’d rather have a nice night force or something. But for the money Vortex is hard to beat
    Oh yeah. In all three instances they sent replacements. Doesn’t change the fact that all three instances had 100% failure rates.

The best warranty is one you never have to use.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    For the price of the Vortex HS 4-16, I’d definitely look at the Diamondback Tactical 4-16 instead
    I did and passed. It’s total chinesium

The Philippine made vortex scopes are better all around in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Oh yeah. In all three instances they sent replacements. Doesn’t change the fact that all three instances had 100% failure rates.

The best warranty is one you never have to use.
    True. There’s levels of vortex scopes I won’t buy,
    But I’d rather have a good company back Ing up my stuff instead of some small company that gives ya the fun around etc..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just bought one of these. I've had it less than a week so I can't give it a full review just yet. Mine is on a. 22LR.

For 200 yards it's more than enough focal length wise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose it depends on your application, but the Razor line is the only Vortex that is worth it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    I supopose it depends on your application, but the Razor line is the only Vortex that is worth it.
    e
    I don’t fully agree. The glass upgrade in the PST 2 versus the 1st Gen PST is significantly different (in a good way), and the cost & weight differences between the PST 2 and the Razor are also significant enough to be factors in a decision to purchase bcCR

The PST 2 FFP Mrad 5-25 I just got weighs 31oz and I got it for $815 to the door.Î

The Razor HD 2 FFP Mrad 4.5-27 weighs 49oz and was $1875 at the same vendor

Over a thousand dollar differencei and more than a pound in weight....maybe if I was shooting professionally (whether for a job or as a pro shooter with a 20+ pound PRS rifle), the improvements made in the PST 2 line in terms of glass, turrets, zero stop etc are leaps and bounds over the previous Gen. It would take the right set of requirements to make the Razor worth the Significant jump in weight and cost IMO

Downloads
    Uploads
    e

The PST 2 FFP Mrad 5-25 I just got weighs 31oz and I got it for $815 to the door.Î
    Where did you find one for that price?! Thats what I’m thinking I want to put on my .300 Win Mag that I’m working on kitting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -NRA Life Member

-Harleys. Mustangs. When in doubt, throttle out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    e
    I don’t fully agree. The glass upgrade in the PST 2 versus the 1st Gen PST is significantly different (in a good way), and the cost & weight differences between the PST 2 and the Razor are also significant enough to be factors in a decision to purchase bcCR

The Razor HD 2 FFP Mrad 4.5-27 weighs 49oz and was $1875 at the same vendor

Over a thousand dollar differencei and more than a pound in weight....maybe if I was shooting professionally (whether for a job or as a pro shooter with a 20+ pound PRS rifle), the improvements made in the PST 2 line in terms of glass, turrets, zero stop etc are leaps and bounds over the previous Gen. It would take the right set of requirements to make the Razor worth the Significant jump in weight and cost IMO
    Fair points....but I think it still comes back around to application and requirements. Reliability/Durability is equally important to me. I have yet to see a PST line take some abuse and not have to get returned under Vortex’s award winning warranty.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Fair points....but I think it still comes back around to application and requirements. Reliability/Durability is equally important to me. I have yet to see a PST line take some abuse and not have to get returned under Vortex’s award winning warranty.
    Really??! Well. That sucks! That makes me quite leery of one then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -NRA Life Member

-Harleys. Mustangs. When in doubt, throttle out!