Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Faxon barrel and heat ?

Today i went to the range. i was testing a new build.
    12.5 in. 7.62x39 faxon ar barrel socom profile, and was shooting suppressed. i was shooting 5 round strings, let it cool 3-5 min. i was getting good groups with a 1x4. after about 40 rnds., my groups started rising. buy the time i shot 60, it was about 4 in high, but still tight. never had this problem with my 16 in. 7.62x39 DPMS heavy barrel. you think the socom profile is to "thin" for a 7.62x39? i don't have this problem with a 11.5 in 556. todays temp was about 82.
    "Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you using an optic and if so how is it mounted? Double check all that stuff if applicable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bushnell's 1x4 ak optic on an American Defense mount. it locked up tight.
    "Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Downloads
    Uploads
    My best guess at this point without looking at or being able to check the rifle is that the problem isn't the barrel. I assume you're are running on an AR platform and if so I would take off the handguard and give the barrel nut some more torque. If it were my gun I would check there and examine your optic mount and the optic itself. I would try to trouble shoot in that order and cross my fingers that I found the problem somewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing to mention or rather ask... is your barrel free floated? Is it making contact anywhere with anything?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're on M4C, Faxon has a thread and they will answer your question directly (or you can email them). That's who I would talk to first to make sure the barrel is behaving in spec. If not, look to other issues. I wouldn't tinker with anything yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did the original zero return after the weapon cooled?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it is the barrel, brand new barrels can take anywhere from 50-150 rounds to "settle in"
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Another thing to mention or rather ask... is your barrel free floated? Is it making contact anywhere with anything?
    yes it's a free float
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Did the original zero return after the weapon cooled?
    i'll pay more attention this time. this was it's second outing. I do remember the rnds were hitting low, but I made a few adjustment and they stayed true for about 20 more rounds. the groups didn't really open up. the just kept gaining elevation

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    My best guess at this point without looking at or being able to check the rifle is that the problem isn't the barrel. I assume you're are running on an AR platform and if so I would take off the handguard and give the barrel nut some more torque. If it were my gun I would check there and examine your optic mount and the optic itself. I would try to trouble shoot in that order and cross my fingers that I found the problem somewhere.
    the optic mount is locked up tight. retightening the nut will be my last resort. all those damn shims, ie brake for the suppressor, and I've installed a Griffin rail also that uses shims for line up.

I guess I should have went back to the range today instead of bird hunting, no luck at that either.haha

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
    retightening the nut will be my last resort. all those damn shims, ie brake for the suppressor, and I've installed a Griffin rail also that uses shims for line up.

I guess I should have went back to the range today instead of bird hunting, no luck at that either.haha
    This is basically why I hate timed barrel nuts / barrel nuts that use shims.

I wouldn't be surprised if the barrel nut wasn't torqued properly. Hopefully it's something simpler.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i thought i would take it back out 1 more time before i did anything to it. today, I only shot about 80 rnds. there was no rise in grouping today. i don't know if both me and the rifle needed to settle in or what. i do know that golden tiger groups a lot tighter than wolf. 100yrds 2 1/2 groups. 12.5in 7.62x39, well here it is...

Last edited by eldogg; 10 September 2016 at 16:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not too familiar with what the optimal barrel profile for 7.62x39 is, so hard for me to say if it's too thin. I know that's one of the main reasons I don't do Pencil barrels when it comes to 5.56. Too much compromise in favor of going too light. Groups will shift/open up when the barrel gets hot.

I'd have a couple of more shooting sessions and maybe have a buddy shoot it to determine if your groupings were an anomaly or something to be followed up on with Faxon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both my 7.62 barrels are a heavy profile barrel and I've never experienced groups opening up even when really burning them up. Honestly the only lightweight barrels I have are my Faxon .300 BO and my SCAR's. Never had an issue with either of those stringing shots. Subs don't really seam to heat up the .300 that much and those SCAR barrels just defy logic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nathan over at Faxon is awesome. Get ahold of him for some help. Faxon in general is great at CS. I have 2 barrels of theirs and they have been great help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a really nice looking rifle eldogg.