Aeon Tac LWB Stock

Here is a first look at the new (or upcoming) Aeon Tac Light Weight Billet stock. The first thing noticed from just the name is this stock is created from billet. While there are certainly billet component stocks on the market, I'm not sure I have seen any “all billet” adjustable stocks, at least not like this one.

The LWB doesn't look like anything else on the market. Most people reading this will agree that looks are subjective, and that looks should NOT be the driving force for a product. However, most people will also agree that given the choice between good looking and ugly, if everything else is equal, the good looking item will win out every time. The LWB hits a unique perspective in the looks department as it really doesn't follow the form of anything else, and to me that is a good thing. The AR15/ M16 market is filled with copies of original items. To see something like the LWB break new ground is a good thing, regardless of how much it is loved or unloved.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  334.0 KB

The Aeon Tac LWB uses a standard mil spec carbine receiver extension (buffer tube). The stock slides on by lifting the rear of the adjuster, and slides between stock positions based on the number of holes on the lower section of your tube. Weighing in at 7 ounces according to Aeon Tac, we found ours actually came in on our postal scale at 6 7/8th ounces. The LWB is listed to extend between 6.5 and 9.5 inches. Three inches of adjustment might not seem like all that much, but the intent of this stock is to stay small and light, while still being strong. Strong is a relative term, but in this case Aeon Tac clearly states it is designed to be used for breaching. Breaching may seem like a stretch, but a first responder at an active shooter event may be forced to smash the lock on a chained door, or break out wire mesh reinforced windows. Rubber backing on the stock clearly wouldn't be an asset in breaking windows or doing other dirty deeds, but if you are shooting in a T-shirt on a range all day, I can see where some people might get sensitive to a stock without padding.

A feature that AWB compliant state shooters may find extra appealing is the ability to easily make the stock "fixed", to go along with their state requirements. The latch mechanism allows for a set screw to prevent the sliding function of the stock. This means it is quick to drop the stock onto your carbine receiver extension, and then "pin" it in the position you want. If you don't live in an AWB state, this feature won't make much of a difference, but it is still a nice touch.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  364.2 KB

Function of the stock is like most every other stock in how it adjusts. In this case, I used the LWB on a BCM SBR. The AWB had zero wobble, though I did find the lockup was so tight on my particular receiver extension that it required a large amount of force to change positions. Enough force where at one point that I thought it was stuck in place. However, I tried the same stock on four other receiver extensions and found there were no issues at all. I should also point out the stock typically comes with a mil spec receiver extension. When the guys at Rainier Arms sent me one, it came as the stock only, which isn't a big deal but I bring it up in case you install it and find it is a bit sticky on a different RE other than the one which came with it. Like I said, I don't look at this as a big deal, but it wouldn't be an honest review if I didn't mention it. I also didn’t pay for this item (like much of the things you see us with), nor did I request to be sent it. There are industry people who send things to us simply so it can appear in pictures or be reviewed. I will always call things the way I see it, based on my training, experience, and industry knowledge.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  1,019.9 KB

Testing of the stock for breaching isn't really something that is easy to replicate, so instead of building a contraption which was repeatable and scientific, I decided to grab the nephews and have them do buttstrokes and assault drills against trees and boulders. The trees did nothing, and the boys quickly understood that full impact with all their strength into solid trees got your hands tingly. After 55 strikes into trees, the stock looked almost new. No damage of any sort to the stock. The only thing of note was tree parts. Moving on to downward strikes on rock/ boulders, the nephews were not only able to chip the rock, but they struck hard enough in the same spot to put a large crack in it. The stock was marred a bit, which seems fair, but nothing major and the stock still slid freely on the RE when the adjustment latch was pressed.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  870.6 KB

In closing, this stock is a light weight, heavy duty bashing implement which holds up to the claims of the manufacturer. Most people will not be smashing things with their stocks, but for those who have that option, this stock may be something you didn’t know you needed. For everyone else, the stock is highly functional, locks up tight, and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Below are the specs from the company, and additional pictures. Special thanks to Rainier Arms, and / or, whomever else was involved in sending this to us.

https://www.aeontac.com/Aeon-tac-LWB...l-p/lwbblk.htm

-PRECISION CNC FROM BILLET 6061 AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM
-THE SIMPLE AND ELEGANT DESIGN CONSISTS OF ONLY 3 MAIN COMPONENTS MACHINED FROM 6061 ALUMINUM AND IS ASSEMBLED WITH ALL STAINLESS-STEEL FASTENERS.
-SLIMMEST, LIGHTEST AND MOST COMPACT ADJUSTABLE FULL METAL STOCK ON THE MARKET
-1.36 INCHES WIDE
-7 OUNCES (STOCK ONLY)
-COLLAPSED OVERALL LENGTH = 6.5 INCHES
-FULLY EXTENDED LENGTH = 9.5 INCHES
-TELESCOPING DESIGN PROVIDES 6 ADJUSTABLE POINTS WITH MILSPEC BUFFER TUBE INCLUDED AND COMPATIBLE WITH MOST BUFFER SYSTEM ON THE MARKET
-SNAG FREE DESIGN
-SIMPLE ONE HAND OPERATION
-CERAKOTE FINISH
-ONE OF THE STRONGEST STOCKS IN THE MARKET MAKES IT IDEAL FOR CQB OR BREACHING DOORS, WITHOUT THE FEAR OF BREAKING OR BENDING.
-LWB STOCK CAN BE CONFIGURE WITH INCLUDED HARDWARE FOR NON-FREE STATES INCLUDING THE NEW UP-COMING CALIFORNIA LAWS TO PROVIDE A FIXED AND NON-COLLAPSIBLE OPTION FOR FEATURELESS BUILDS, SET SCREW ON LWB STOCK CAN BE TIGHTENED ALL THE WAY TO BE CONFIGURE AS FIXED STOCK.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  373.2 KB