Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
Awesome build. Do you guys recommend the rifle length gas system or mid length for the 18" barrel?
I prefer rifle gas for a couple of reasons. The first being the benefits the longer tube gives in reducing dwell time, slowing the BCG down a little and the positive effect that has on recoil. So for my precision guns - the DMR and my SPR (5.56) I chose rifle length gas systems. I also run an A5 Buffer system on the SPR, and on the DMR I have a UBR 2.0 stock which is for all intents an A5 length buffer tube, although with the longer 308 BCG you have to run either a carbine buffer or a 308 carbine buffer, (not the A5 Buffer) which is shorter than the standard mil spec AR-15 carbine buffer, and in the UBR requires a spacer. I’m using a KAK Heavy Buffer with a Sprinco Red spring. I mention all these other parts because they are all variables that can have an effect on how your weapon cycles and affects felt recoil. Likely I could reduce recoil a little more using rifle length stock or a PRS, but weight and adjustability were two options important to me.
I too believe my DMR is a really nice shooter. I was so surprised and impressed by it that I immediately made plans to build a .308 SBR. I’ve cooled my jets on that project thankfully.

It’s hard to quantify “soft shooting” and “reduced recoil”, unless you shoot the guns, so I’m not going to say my DMR is smoother than anyone’s. I couldn’t know that until I shot both. But the “science” behind the direct impingement gas system says that the longer the gas system, the slower the BCG travels, the reduced gas port pressure, which are part of what you feel in your shoulder. Another reason I went with a gas system is because while we don’t have a mil standard on the 308, I felt the rifle gas was more the norm, more empirical data on what worked and what didn’t work, and since I may run a suppressor, I wanted to “normalize” where I could, and that was one area.

My comment on standardization isn’t to imply there are issues running mid gas systems on 308. I really didn’t do much research as I wanted gas from the get go.
It’s just more commonplace and I saw that as an advantage on achieving a first shot functional weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk