View Poll Results: What are your top 3 upgrade/additional components that you would change on your AR?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Collapsible Stock

25 39.68%
  • Pistol Grip

18 28.57%
  • Handguard / Rail system

33 52.38%
  • Optic (Aimpoint / Eotech / ACOG / etc)

50 79.37%
  • Front / Rear BUIS

8 12.70%
  • Light / Laser System

20 31.75%
  • Trigger

17 26.98%
  • Flash Suppressor

6 9.52%
  • Sling Mount

9 14.29%
  • Other (Please Explain)

8 12.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, what AC and GS are saying is really the same thing in a lot of ways. In my post on M4C that AC links to you'll see at least one poster suggesting getting out to classes and matches as a way to try out other folk's gear and see what works for you.

and it all dovetails nicely into the point of this thread, which is that you can get 98% of the way "there" with only three additions to the carbine (outside of the obvious ammo, mags, training).
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    AC, I got that, no worries.

Rob, good point on trying out gear at classes. I'm stuck on the optics solution (Aimpoint/Trij RX30) or a good 1-4, and classes will give me better grounds

Ya'll have your thread back!

Downloads
    Uploads
    While many other options are arguable as to thier priority I will say just this....

Any experienced LEO will tell you that most shootings happen in the dark, be it at night or while in contact inside of a building. That being said, the ability to see your target and good target discrimination is crucial.

My point being... first things first, get a light on it, even if you have to duct tape a $10 mini Maglight to it....

P.S. An illuminated target also helps backlight standard iron sights which otherwise would be useless in the dark.
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Downloads
    Uploads
    When Chief said "stock rifle" I immediately thought of my issued weapon. I have been issued A2's, A4's and M4's and if I could have changed any three things about them it would have gone something like this;

1- Optic: If you can't see it, or see it fast enough; your weapon is about worthless.

2- Barrel: In my experience these service rifles are good for about 3-4 MOA. If I had a 3/4 or even a 1 MOA rifle my margin for error is 3-4 times greater. That allows me to shoot quicker, with much more confidence without having to make a 'perfect' shot each time.

And 3- This is a close tie between a good stock and a good trigger, but Im giving it to the trigger. While there are some great stocks out there I dont see a stock as a must have. I see it as more of a comfort issue. A service trigger plain sucks. It’s long, gritty, has bumps and catches and outside of a CQB environment, (where you frame the target, press, search and assess) you need something substantially better. A good trigger increases accuracy and builds confidence.

Now I know there are some essentials out there like lights, slings ect. But like Capt. Kirk and TehLlama already pointed out; you can duct tape a $10 Mag light to the rails and use a bit of 550 cord (or just about anything else) as a sling. Good options? No. But you cant jimmy-rig a good optic, barrel and trigger and those are the things I wish I’d had over and over again on my issued rifles over the years.

PMags, ammo, and courses are essential things but... not part of the actual rifle IMO.

That’s what this dumb grunt would do anyway

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's mine:

1. Optic- you can see target more clearly and get on target faster

2. Rail- a system for mounting light, laser, VFG, ETC. To come later.

3. Other (suppressor)- quiets shot to manageable level so ear protection is not required.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tossing in my 2 cents here. I voted pistol grip, handguard and optic, and not necessarily in that order. It seems as if not changing the pistol grip would be almost a crime, due to the low cost, ease of install, and so many options available that you are bound to find something you like better than stock. I was surprised at the amount of people who voted for collapsible stock on the poll...not because I don't agree that going from a non-collapsible to a collapsible isn't a huge upgrade, but it seems at this point if you bought a gun that did not have a tactical stock, you pretty much just wanted a fixed stock. Even the cheapest AR's out there today have 5 position stocks for the most part.

Rob, I read your post on the M4 website, and I thought I might offer up something on this. Consider that most guys, by nature, are "tinkerers." if we can work on it, change it or upgrade it fairly easy, it is in the nature of man to meddle with it. Cars, houses, yards, guns, you name it, if we can mess with it, we WILL mess with it. I know that tinkering with guns is nothing new, but unless you want to talk about Ruger 10/22's, there aren't many guns on the market that upgrade as easy, or have as many parts out there. My guess is that a lot of the people who are "gear queers" as a buddy of mine at work (who served in Iraq in the 90's) calls them, I bet a lot of them are upgrading just because they can, or because it will make their guns more militant or serious-looking. I don't know that they are really thinking any further than that.