Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow..nice stash of surefire UW..

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quick follow up question about the Surefire light I have, or well any light for that matter.

I watched a Youtube video about a guy that did a lot of shooting and the bezzle on his light got really fouled up. Link below.

Usually I am shooting with a suppressor but not always. How many of you guys actually tape off your bezzles to keep them from getting carbon fouling? Is that really a thing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. It's a non-issue to the finish (you can remove it without affecting the actual finish to the light as seen in the video) and if you put a little lube on the lens of the light, the fouling comes right off if you wipe it off every couple hundred of rounds. An eraser can also help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Yes. It's a non-issue to the finish (you can remove it without affecting the actual finish to the light as seen in the video) and if you put a little lube on the lens of the light, the fouling comes right off if you wipe it off every couple hundred of rounds. An eraser can also help.
    What kind of lube should I put on the lens of the light? This is good information. Never heard of that before.

I run a threaded barrel so the blast is out a little farther but I still want to avoid clouding up my lens or spending time screwing around trying to clean a light if possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    What kind of lube should I put on the lens of the light?
    Not today, ISIS!

Your lube of choice. Obviously everyone has their (strong) opinions on what to use. I personally use Slip EWL, but you can experiment as necessary.

All that said, I have a X300 on a stock Glock 17 that I've neglected for > 500 rounds (might be approaching 1K, but not sure) and the light beam still is strong. The lens is dirty, but a little rubbing with some lube will return it to at least 98% normal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not today, ISIS!

Your lube of choice. Obviously everyone has their (strong) opinions on what to use. I personally use Slip EWL, but you can experiment as necessary.

All that said, I have a X300 on a stock Glock 17 that I've neglected for > 500 rounds (might be approaching 1K, but not sure) and the light beam still is strong. The lens is dirty, but a little rubbing with some lube will return it to at least 98% normal.
    HAAAHAA!!!

That actually gave me a great laugh!

I have some stuff that will probably be just the right fit for this application.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve used toothpaste that has baking soda to restore carbon fouled lenses

Scrub a dub and rinse

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’ve used toothpaste that has baking soda to restore carbon fouled lenses

Scrub a dub and rinse
    Cool! I am learning a ton.

I am hoping that the threaded barrel will keep most of the muzzle blast off of the bezzle. Prevention vs cure.... The extra length makes them almost even with each other in length with the light just a little bit longer but not by much.

This is good information to know though... for definitely.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The light on my threaded G17 lasts a little longer than the OEM G17, but it still gets dirty. I forgot about toothpaste. That's another good suggestion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot about toothpaste. That's another good suggestion.
    I am learning the ways of the ninja.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get those little tear-off lens covers. And tell the guy who scrubbed his light shroud for 3 hours to buy it a fucking bonnet FFS! The guy with all the spotless "tac" gear usually knows the least.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Quick follow up question about the Surefire light I have, or well any light for that matter.

I watched a Youtube video about a guy that did a lot of shooting and the bezzle on his light got really fouled up.

Usually I am shooting with a suppressor but not always. How many of you guys actually tape off your bezzles to keep them from getting carbon fouling? Is that really a thing?"

My X300U on my 10.5" SBR gets the living snot hammered out of it by the MD. When the lens is completely black I just put a little cleaner/degreaser on a rag and it all wipes off in a few seconds.

I have heard of guys putting chapstick on the lens to keep it from getting boogered up.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Get those little tear-off lens covers.
    https://thyrm.com/product/clens-protector/
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, Jerry. Couldn't remember who made those.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thought I'd tag on to this old thread instead of starting a new one....

I finally added a G26 to the collection and am already wondering why it took me so long. I see why these are so popular and suspect this will become an EDC favorite when my wardrobe won't let me easily OWB a G17 w/ X300.

That said, it needs a light and I'm seeing some good prices on Streamlight TLR-6 lights or light/laser combos and that setup seems supported by several holster makes. I don't run lasers on any pistols but am considering spending the extra $40 to have the laser since it doesn't change the form factor.

Any opinions on whether I should save the $ and just stick with the light? Any negatives to say about the TLR or suggestions of better options? Viridian?