Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need some help from the masses please!

So. I may have come into a nice little chunk of change here recently, and I’m wanting a lower, high-end 1911. Now. I already own an RIA Tactical. And I love it. No complaints. AT ALL. I just want another one. Higher than another RIA. Here are my options.

I had an SA Mil-Spec? years ago. Had to sell it. But. My RIA shoots circles inside that SA. I’ve never shot a Sig. Of ANY sort. 1911. 226. 229. 320. Nothing. But I’ve always read and heard great things about them. The Sig is the TacOps. Black. Threaded barrel. Railed. I think you can see a trend here. Haha. I’d like to maybe eventually run a can on it and a light. It’s not a requirement, but still. I know I can always change a barrel out which is no big deal. Anyway. Any help to lean one way or another would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -NRA Life Member

-Harleys. Mustangs. When in doubt, throttle out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lower, high end. LOL. I like the verbage.

I'd definitely go with the TRP. Or Dan Wesson for a bit more cash.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearhead View Post
    I’ve never shot a Sig. Of ANY sort. 1911. 226. 229. 320. Nothing. But I’ve always read and heard great things about them. The Sig is the TacOps. Black. Threaded barrel. Railed. I think you can see a trend here. Haha. I’d like to maybe eventually run a can on it and a light. It’s not a requirement, but still. I know I can always change a barrel out which is no big deal. Anyway. Any help to lean one way or another would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I have a Sig 1911 and it is BY FAR the most accurate pistol I own. It's not even a close competition. I have to pull it out and get the model numbers as I think they have since made changes. Mine went to the Sig Custom Shop and all that so it wasn't cheap but it's a very very nice pistol.

Mine doesn't have rails or lights, but I am sure I could find a threaded barrel for it when I need it.

I've had mine for several years and while it wasn't cheap, even my old school gunsmith/FFL guy that handles guns every single day--when I picked it up from him he went '*&%$#ing hell! That %&#&ing thing is %&&#^ing awesome and *&%^$ing beautiful! I look at guns all the time and that *%&#&ing thing is &%^#*ing NICE as hell! Now you want me wanting to buy a &%&#*ing Sig!"

(edited for censorship purposes--but you get the idea of his personality and his opinion)

Literally on my first day shooting it I put an old Amazon box out about 15 yards out and started shooting at it, carefully, to see if anything was wrong. About the 5th shot in I got mad as hell. I was missing the box all together! Or so I thought. I went up and inspected and half of my rounds were in the same hole. I said 'nevermind' at my outrage and now I would never part with that pistol.

Can't say anything at all about other Sig 1911's but mine is great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He's a man of limited vocabulary but 100% clarity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is Tony Beets your Mo##$fuC##$ gun dealer?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Pretty much only a little bit more rough, a LOT bigger, and with a southern accent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sig hands down over SA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Haha...that guy is a rich grouch...

OP—I’ve had a few SA 1911’s, they are decent. But my entry level dan Wesson heritage beats them all for not much more money.. it’s stupid accurate, nice trigger and overall fit and finish is very good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Lower, high end. LOL. I like the verbage.

I'd definitely go with the TRP. Or Dan Wesson for a bit more cash.
    I try to please. Lol.

I was NOT expecting the TRP to be as high as it was. I was thinking same price point as Sig. man, was I WRONG! Haha. It’s not marked off though. Still perusing. Still finding other options. I had no idea there were so many options for a 1911 with a rail. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have a Sig 1911 and it is BY FAR the most accurate pistol I own. It's not even a close competition. I have to pull it out and get the model numbers as I think they have since made changes. Mine went to the Sig Custom Shop and all that so it wasn't cheap but it's a very very nice pistol.

Mine doesn't have rails or lights, but I am sure I could find a threaded barrel for it when I need it.

I've had mine for several years and while it wasn't cheap, even my old school gunsmith/FFL guy that handles guns every single day--when I picked it up from him he went '*&%$#ing hell! That %&#&ing thing is %&&#^ing awesome and *&%^$ing beautiful! I look at guns all the time and that *%&#&ing thing is &%^#*ing NICE as hell! Now you want me wanting to buy a &%&#*ing Sig!"

(edited for censorship purposes--but you get the idea of his personality and his opinion)

Literally on my first day shooting it I put an old Amazon box out about 15 yards out and started shooting at it, carefully, to see if anything was wrong. About the 5th shot in I got mad as hell. I was missing the box all together! Or so I thought. I went up and inspected and half of my rounds were in the same hole. I said 'nevermind' at my outrage and now I would never part with that pistol.

Can't say anything at all about other Sig 1911's but mine is great.
    Nice censorship. Haha. I’d take that as a compliment though! Ever see which model yours was? What all did you have the custom shop do to it exactly? Do you think it was detrimental to how accurate it is, or was it minor things that probably wouldn’t have mattered?

-NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Sig hands down over SA.
    That simple, huh? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Haha...that guy is a rich grouch...

OP—I’ve had a few SA 1911’s, they are decent. But my entry level dan Wesson heritage beats them all for not much more money.. it’s stupid accurate, nice trigger and overall fit and finish is very good.
    I’ve been looking at the DW’s too, since UWone said something about them. I just can’t find what I’m wanting all combined into one pistol. I’m being EXTREMELY picky about this weapon selection. Usually, I’m not, but I don’t want to throw down this type of money and get a gun and not be 100% enamored with it. Ya know?

Talking to my dealer yesterday and one of his friends that works part-time for him, was getting prices and asking opinions. The friend, spoke on the subject of a lot of people him knowing had teething problems with SA’s , along with him, and even his Kimber, so bad, to send them back. And then STILL have some teething problems afterward. Said the higher end guns say they need to lap in and to use less lube so they mesh together better from usage/wear. Any truth to that? I know high end over/unders wear in. I run a 686 Silver Pigeon I and they get better the more they shoot. The friend also said it seems to be a lot of mag issues, where you buy an SA, and basically throw the factory mags away or in a stock pile, and run Wilsons or CMC’s, and problems go away. (I’m a CMC guy personally). The gun dealer, said of all the Sig 1911s he’s sold, theres not really anybody EXCITED over them, but he hasn’t heard anything bad either. Should I TRUST a Sig more over an SA out of the box? Or maybe just bad days in QC departments and since there’s probably more SA’s sold than Sigs, you’re gonna hear about more “issues”? I’m putting a LOT of thought into this. And also. Found a couple more options. I didn’t realize S&W made a railed version! Its a NICE looking gun. So that’s on the radar now. And SA’s RO Operator and RO Elite. I’d like the Elite more if the slide didn’t have the “flash” on the back end of the slide clearly stating its an Elite...Whoopty do. Haha. And I kinda wish the RO Operator had an ambi-safety, but thats a slight part change. No biggie there. Just again, with the amount of money, I should be able to get what I want. SA Custom Shop? I hear they do GREAT work. On more than just SA’s too. So...any other advice/opinions? I’m all ears.

-NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm no 1911 expert, but the midrange 1911's like Sig's, Springfields, are what I see are shooters. I see guys at the range shooting these guns all the time. Probably because they don't mind putting rounds down range at this price point. No one is going to get excited about them, because there is nothing "special" about them.

Then again when you step up to a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, ect, you don't see them getting shot, a lot of them end up as safe queens. So take your pick.

You planning on shooting this one a lot?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearhead View Post
    Nice censorship. Haha. I’d take that as a compliment though! Ever see which model yours was? What all did you have the custom shop do to it exactly? Do you think it was detrimental to how accurate it is, or was it minor things that probably wouldn’t have mattered?
    I'm not all sure what they did. But I know one thing was to de horn it. Which had zero impact on accuracy. I think that model at the time went to the shop to remove all snag points for concealment.

I think mine is an RCS. It's got a shorter handle so you can conceal it much easier.

Mine might have had some trigger work done too. Mine has an adjustable trigger that is awesome. They might have also done some minor fitment stuff as well. If anything the trigger helps with accuracy more that anything.

All in all I would wonder what your end use was. When I bought mine I had the idea that all of my pistols at that time could be concealed so that's why I picked that model.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm no 1911 expert, but the midrange 1911's like Sig's, Springfields, are what I see are shooters. I see guys at the range shooting these guns all the time. Probably because they don't mind putting rounds down range at this price point. No one is going to get excited about them, because there is nothing "special" about them.

Then again when you step up to a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, ect, you don't see them getting shot, a lot of them end up as safe queens. So take your pick.

At a certain point you move from function to Jessie James Mexican artwork guns with gold inlay.

I've shot some cheap ass 1911s and there is a big difference but overkill on some stuff is just fluff. It would be like buying a $5000 James Yeager signature series AR.

I've never had even a stovepipe on mine but others I've shot could barely make it through a mag or two or were so ammo picky that it just wasn't worth it.

Those guns you see are more the "sweet spot" guns not just on price either. They balance all the stuff that really matters without all the fluff and just make good stuff. That's how I see mine.

It's no STI but I would carry it and have done so with out batting an eye.

There are several key areas in 1911s that can make a gun really reliable or not shoot worth a crap and some of those are really cheap and some of those are really expensive.

Downloads
    Uploads

You may not be a 1911 expert per se, but you know guns. You know a lot of people who USE their guns. So. I do value your opinion. And that does make sense actually about “nothing special”.

Ya know. Thats a good point! Definitely will NOT be a safe queen! None of my guns are.

I mean, yeah? Haha. Your “a lot” and my “a lot” are different definitions I’m sure. Lol. I work so damn much, I don’t get as much range time as I’d like. 12 and 19 days on at a time. 8 and 10hr days. But when I DO go shooting, my RIA and GP100 are what I shoot the most pistol wise. They’re my favorites. So. This one would be thrown in the mix as well.

-NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I'm not all sure what they did. But I know one thing was to de horn it. Which had zero impact on accuracy. I think that model at the time went to the shop to remove all snag points for concealment.

I think mine is an RCS. It's got a shorter handle so you can conceal it much easier.

Mine might have had some trigger work done too. Mine has an adjustable trigger that is awesome. They might have also done some minor fitment stuff as well. If anything the trigger helps with accuracy more that anything.

All in all I would wonder what your end use was. When I bought mine I had the idea that all of my pistols at that time could be concealed so that's why I picked that model.
    Ahh, okay.

I’m not worried about concealment. This isn’t gonna be a CCW gun.

Trigger work DOES help immensely. Trigger work, and trigger time.

End use, is home defense and range gun. Like I said previously, I’d like to run a can on it eventually. Hence a threaded barrel, but the more I look, the fewer threaded ones I see. I can always fit one to it. But I would like the rail for either a light or laser. This would be a bedroom gun to keep beside the bed. Retire the RIA to a range/truck gun. So. I need something I can completely 100% trust with my life and whomever else could possibly be with me in the house.

-NRA Life Member