Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Just for shits, I decide I needed a 1 Kilo Bar of Silver. Maybe a 100 oz'er is in my future.
    This would be better. . .

https://online.kitco.com/buy/31171/1...lica-999-31171
    “Fast is fine, But accuracy is final.” Wyatt Earp

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DISCOM View Post
    If it's for a fun gift, or conversation piece, I could see it, but really, I don't want to pay 21.88 USD per oz. Just give me plain old rounds and bars.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I already have a silver .308 round.... didn't go with the .50 though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see Silver is hovering around $17 an ounce now...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm wishing I bought more now... was going to get some a few days ago but didn't. Filled with regret

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't mean to change the subject but I am just curious if anyone else invests in other things as well (in addition to) precious metals? Stocks, real estate, etc?

Downloads
    Uploads
    $17.30 silver and $1510.00 gold. Shes bumping up. I think the days of $15 silver will be long gone. Anything under $20 is still a good buy...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I don't mean to change the subject but I am just curious if anyone else invests in other things as well (in addition to) precious metals? Stocks, real estate, etc?
    Of course. Metals are a terrible investment. They don't make much over time in the long term. Compared to the S&P the gains on metals are hardly worth mentioning. I invest in index funds, employer 401k, a few defense-related stocks, real estate and even a couple promising startups. Metals are there only as a long-term store of value. I don't intend to make any money at all on them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Dave already mentioned it, precious metals are nothing compared to an index fund, which historically brings in 8-10% annual returns.

We are heavily leveraged into various Index funds, Fidelity, Vanguard retirement funds, ect.

My brokerage account, I've taken some higher risks. Some of my best hits in the last 3 years, which have returned more than 100% of my money:

Got into Amazon at $608/share
    Lululemon at $70/share
    Costco $130/share

One I've been watching is Digital Turbine (APPS) Got in a few thousand shares at just under $4, so even with the market dip the last 2 weeks, I'm still up over 35% ... I can see this one long term going to $40-50 a share.

I don't day trade, all my stocks, even in my brokerage account are long term holds. I'm no expert, so don't take anything I say as financial advice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm no expert, so don't take anything I say as financial advice.
    LOL! Don't worry!

I do like to play the market sometimes. A couple of years ago I made 3x what I was earning working (per year) in about a 4 month window. That was pretty nice.

I have stuff that I invest in as well that has lots of potential. I'm thinking before it's all said and done 500% to 600% ish is realistic.

Keep in mind that I geek out big time in these deep dives trying to figure stuff out.
    I'm a dinosaur-- trained financial analyst so I nerd out pretty hard sometimes and often it's very risky stuff. I've lost my ass a few times as well.

That last big vacation I took- I went on a year long vacation and an around the world trip and all of it was paid for by playing the market.

I haven't been that stable in work in recent years so my income is all over the map. That said I probably should stop blowing it when I get a little bit ahead.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are heavily leveraged into various Index funds, Fidelity, Vanguard retirement funds, ect.
    Asking this because I'm genuinely curious...

"heavily leveraged" means you took out debt in order to make the investments. Is that really what you meant?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Asking this because I'm genuinely curious...

"heavily leveraged" means you took out debt in order to make the investments. Is that really what you meant?
    Definition 2

verb
    past tense: leveraged; past participle: leveraged
    1. use borrowed capital for (an investment), expecting the profits made to be greater than the interest payable.
    "a leveraged takeover bid"
    2. use (something) to maximum advantage.
    "the organization needs to leverage its key resources"

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, that's what I figured, but there are folks that do leverage their personal investments. Most individual investors don't have the stomach for it since it can put you in a very bad spot if you get it wrong.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Always been curious about laying around with stocks etc..

Just don’t have the extra $$ to really play..plus I don’t like to lose..lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Always been curious about laying around with stocks etc..

Just don’t have the extra $$ to really play..plus I don’t like to lose..lol
    If you can invest even $25, and dump it into a mutual fund, you can't historically beat the returns on a good index fund. Will there be down turns in the market? Absolutely. At one point in the 07/08 crash, I had less money in my accounts than my original investment. That's a hard pill if you look at it superficially when you've been dumping money in for 6-7 years. I just looked at is as... you're buying more shares at a lower price. Of course the market came roaring back, and I made my money back and then some. Until I'm 59.5 it's all just paper gains though. On paper I have a decent chunk of change, and on pace to retire very comfortably.

This is why compounding interest like I said is important. If you started with $25 a month for 20 years, at 7% return, you'd have $13,216 at the end.... which is more than double your $6000 of actual investment over that time.

Now multiply that by say, 20 years, at $250/per month, you have $131k.

Unfortunately for me, It wasn't until about 5 years ago until I maxed out my 401k contributions. Save early, save often, and as much as you can. Skipping dinners out, lattes, and you can save 2M for retirement.