Thread: 190 SUB-X

Downloads
    Uploads

190 SUB-X

These came today from Midway. I’m hoping they motivate me to finally get my bench set up. I figure if they actually expand sub-sonic they would be an ideal HD round. Looking for a recipe with no joy yet.

“ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a pdf of an older loading manual that has recipes for 190 grain subs.

When I get home we can take a look.

I am also going to make a load for some 190 grain nosler bullets which should carry over quite nicely. Maybe we can compare notes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use H110 for both subs and supers for my 300 BLK and am pleased with the results. Was able to tune the charge to get 220s to run at almost exactly 1,000 fps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I use H110 for both subs and supers for my 300 BLK and am pleased with the results. Was able to tune the charge to get 220s to run at almost exactly 1,000 fps.
    I ended up using H110 for that cast bullet thing I did. I loaded 1000 subsonic rounds and it was fully functional with bolt hold open etc.

Cast bullets are a little (or a lot) different to load but I will definitely try to develop a load for the 190 FMJ with H110.

That stuff meters really well, is available everywhere, and runs clean.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also used h110 when I did super BO’s..but for subs I’d as do look at AA 1680

Downloads
    Uploads
    Per the document this came from the test firearm had a 16" barrel.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1230
Size:  188.5 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve re-thought these bullets for home defense. Too much risk of over penetration. Better to save them for stealthy zombies hunting.

With any luck I’ll be dead before the hordes hit the streets.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is from the latest Hornady reloading manual for their 190 grain bullets in 300 Blackout. They don't have a page just for the Sub-X, but this should work for any 190 with caution.

Name:  2020-03-11_15-37-34 300 BO Page 440.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  72.7 KB
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any field reports. I have a case of 1000 Nosler 190's and I can make em shoot quite well, and eject the case, while still remaining subsonic, but no bolt hold open. I have an adjustable block but after a few thousand rounds it's a pain in the ass to try and adjust it.

Admittedly I still need to try other powders, but right now my work station is set up for priming. I am about halfway through priming a 3 gallon bucket full of 9mm, but as soon as I am done with that I will be back to load development.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the flat/round nose, I’d imagine those are more for .30-30 type applications rather than 300BLK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plastic insert pushes open the nose along the relief cuts. Not flowering like a good super soft point, but decent for a sub. Gel tests I’ve seen show about .5” diameter and decent penetration for defense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    With the flat/round nose, I’d imagine those are more for .30-30 type applications rather than 300BLK
    They are definitely 300 BLK and to me they could be a relatively cost effective solution to bust a cap in a pig without waking up the neighborhood.

Not ammo related but spring is here and popping pigs might be good fun in the coming months. I don't have expensive night vision yet but there is a solution that I have been thinking about.

Some guys go get a motion detector and hook it up to a tail light from a boat trailer or whatever and mount it to a post in the area you want to dispatch pigs. When the light starts blinking get your weapon light and get ready to shoot.

It's a way to safely hunt at night from the comfort of a lawn chair, particularly in more confined spaces or in areas where there might be a few houses nearby. It would be kind of nice to not always have to go to some huge tract of land and to have a fairly comfortable place or two where you don't have to run through the briars or whatever. You could go have a nice chill evening. I even have a few places where I could go fishing at the same time.

Redneck fun...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve read a few threads about these bullets and a ton of trial and error for semi auto 300BLK. They’d be fun in a bolt gun or handi rifle or a lever action for sure