Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at first can..feedback on a couple..

Hey Guys, bored and spitballing in my head, so thought I’d start something. I’ve decided that it’s time and really want a can for my 40th golden year or whatever..lol..only talking about rifle cans at the moment.

So, 233 or 762 can is my first dilemma.Will mostly be on a 10.5 or 16” 556 , but also 308 ar and then another 6.x Upper project later.

Been looking at the Yhm turbo /k and the resonator /k also (762)

Hear a lot of good things about them and the customer Service if needed. Yes price point is part of the reason I’m looking at them, but if you look at materials used, a lot of double the cost cans are the same material...

Then the process... kinda understand it, but intimidated , haven’t not done it yet. Silencer shop option seems easy for a newcomer.. as there’s a “ powered by dealer” 10 miles from me. As I understand it , you pay the total on SS site/checkout and no other fees are encountered as long as you use their power dealers..

I tried to not make it Alamo long.....but I could use some pointers and such.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Silencer Shop kiosks indeed make it easy.

YHM cans are fine. I've shot some, and their cost/benefit is high. I find their QD muzzle devices are ugly if you care about such things.

Whatever can you get, make sure you get a name brand can. I say this because there has been plenty of smaller companies that have gone under the last few years and your warranty is only as good as the company backing it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    HAHA! Go ahead and laugh at my expense! LOL!!!

On topic though, especially with a kiosk the procedure is NOT difficult at all. Just follow some simple instructions and you will be surprised at how easy it is.

I don't know anything at all about YHM so I am not saying anything negative at all...but for a purchase like this just save and get what you want. If it's an extra $150 bucks consider that whatever you buy is yours for life. That said definitely heed UW's advice about name brand cans with a long track record.

The mounting system to me is by far the most important thing, but that's just me. Other things are important but the actual decibel reduction is probably 3 or 4 on my list actually. The good thing is now you don't have to sacrifice one point for another. There are a lot of great cans out there.

If you will shoot only on 5.56 then of course get a 5.56 can. If you want to shoot it on a multitude of guns, get a 30 caliber can. Considering that you will be wearing ear pro no matter what on any kind of AR platform 5.56 it's not that big of a trade off and you gain a lot more flexibility.

Anyway don't let the process get to you or psyche you out. It is not hard at all. If you do it as a trust the setting up of a trust will be the most complicated part with all the signatures and notary but even there they should provide straight forward instructions. But once it's done it's done. If you do it as an individual it's super easy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The YHM cans are excellent for the money.

Rugged Razor is a great all around can.

Griffin Explorr762 is a very light 7.62 suppressor and the Recce 7 is its beefier sibling; both would be at home on either host you mentioned

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like Griffin cans and especially like their muzzle devices. If I could only keep one, it would probably be the Paladin as it's pretty versatile (user serviceable, interchangeable .22 end cap). However, my next suppressor purchase will likely be a Rugged. No experience with YHM

Downloads
    Uploads
    My thoughts are, if you think you will only have one suppressor, go with a 30 caliber can. I can't speak to your choices, as I have not had an opportunity to shoot with them. Following you choice with interest. Let us know.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m listening and reading up.

The yhm mounts are fugly..no doubt there.. lol

To be honest the griffin cans are a top choice, Reece 5 is 200 more then the turbo , better mount maybe then the yhm.? Materials are similar. Both companies have been around a while.. 250 more , worth it?

I can see where, once you start down this road. One is not enough..lol..

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rugged “razor” 762 can at 6 and some change , looks decent

Anyone running one?
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 3 March 2020 at 17:46.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don’t own a Razor but I’ve set up a friend’s rifle to run a Razor and a Surge. Me personally, between the two, the Razor is the way to go but some people care less about weight and more about max suppression

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's face it, suppressor designs have changed very little over the last few decades. Stacked Baffles... The only differences is welding, materials, venting, ect. Some cans are better looking than others, some mounting systems are better than others.

Other than OSS, they're all about the same within a few decibels.

Get what you can afford. If you only plan to suppress an AR, be prepared to be disappointed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The newer yhm mounts aren’t as bad as the old ones..I think...lol

UW-your comment about - only suppressing ar’s your gonna be disappointed.. what’s that mean?

I kinda get it, ar’s aren’t super quiet with a can compared to others-bolt actions and such..

Looking at in order

Yhm turbo 556 ($400) or resonator (762 can @ $500)
    Griffin Reece 5 (556 can @ $620)
    Rugged razor (762 can @ $620 with $50 gift certificate..would be towards another muzzle device)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face. You can try to mitigate it with gimmicky charging handles, adjustable Gas blocks and BCG's, but in the end, it's still gassy. Nothing like a face full of unburnt power gas. You'll never get to shoot it without the loud crack of the bullet because of the lack of subsonic rounds.. even if you find them, they typically don't cycle reliably. 5.56 suppressed is basically to take the edge off. This is why I've pretty much gone all to K and mini cans for 5.56.

If I could have one can, I'd go 7.62 so I could put it on a bolt gun as well and shoot 300 BLK suppressed on an AR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Good info for a newbie..the gas aspect..wouldn’t know as I’ve never shot an ar suppressed....Yet....

Side note..woman laughed at me the other day..but I’m serious..Trying to push myself to quit smoking..that will help my can find immensely..pic for lolz. pp donations accepted
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of my favorite rifles to shoot is an 18 or 20" AR with a rifle length gas system and a suppressor. It's like shooting a 22lr and makes you a very nice range neighbor. I'm typically shooting in that config with a Recce 5.

But otherwise, agree w/ all UW says. On a carbine or SBR, make sure you have good eye pro and be prepared for a feeling of "I thought it would be quieter than that". It's more about "signature reduction" than silence.

Now, my suppressed 9mm MPX shooting 147gr ball won't even pick up on my shot clock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 5.56 experience is different in terms of gas. UWone, let me build you a rifle

I seriously have ZERO blowback on any of mine. I don’t leave the range with a stained face from powder/carbon/gun lube.

I do agree that they’re not movie quiet but there are some cans out there that are MUCH more quiet than others. On the louder end: Surefire and OSS. Quieter end: Rugged, Griffin, YHM, AEM (specialized reflex cans)...CGS’s new Hyperion is also super quiet but not the right can for everyone

Where you are shooting also makes a big difference. Indoors or in dense woods with a lot of surfaces that return/“trap” the sound versus a wide open field for example