Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
I appreciate the info...I’m getting frustrated if you can’t tell..lol

This would be a lot easier if I could shoot some of these things before I committed..

For you guys with the Reece 5 or 7’s , are they a gassy can? If that makes sense, reading and watching videos you can see some of it, but hard to define it not seeing in person..atleast for me

That Reece 7 is intriguing, but that’s putting me up over a grand..kinda heavy can at that..the R2 without the QD Mount is 14 ounces and 6.9 long..

Ahhhhhh
Believe me when I tell you that I have been exactly where you are right now. I would have loved to shoot all the cans before I bought but unless you go to a silencer shop range day it won't happen.

I have both the 5 and 7 and neither one is gassy. I rarely get a wiff of smoke in the face. In my experience and looking at it through the lens of a reloader sometimes that is a function of the ammo. Some powders are much more smokey or have different characteristics. On the other hand some powders are cleaner and run more efficiently in a given barrel length. The only times I really get choked to some degree is if I am doing some mag dumps with some of the more gassy/smokey powders. But normal shooting for me....not hardly ever with either can.

As for the weight it depends. If you are talking about absolute weight neither is really that bad, especially the 5. That said a lot of that is a function of how you have your rifle set up. If I gave you a 2.5 pound weight and you strapped it on your chest rig that's one thing...but if I had you tape it on the end of 4 foot long broom handle that's different. Where and how you carry the weight matters. Having a good balanced rifle to me is very important, moreso than just absolute weight. I've picked up other people's suppressed rifles and they were so out of balance it's not even funny. It would drive me nuts. But my rifles all have really nice balance points front to back. Yes absolute weight is one aspect, but for me it's not as important for what I like to do vs the balance. If I started to have to run around and swing around constantly or if I was going to hike 20 miles a day for a week straight I might be a lot more concerned about absolute weight, but even then I think balance is important too.

If you want a light weight can that performs really well the explorr series is good too. They are substantially lighter and shorter but deliver good sound performance as well. Keep in mind that those cans are tuned slightly different than the 7 from what I understand. Any suppressor can essentially just choke off almost everything at the muzzle but that's not always good, especially on any semi auto. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch so that gas will just be blasting you with really loud port pop. You might get that 130 at the muzzle but you will also get 145-148 at the ear with some cans. The explorr series seem to be tuned for semi auto use... a few DB louder at the muzzle but also a few quieter at the ear.

At the end of the day you really can't go wrong with griffin to be honest. For me it came down to trusting the advice I was given here on the forum and little more than that. I fawned all over details and that was great---I learned a ton--- and plus I like to nerd out, but at the same time it is a lot of money to spend "blindly"...been there done that. At the end of the day you can trust that NO ONE here will try to steer you wrong. I am quite sure that there are numerous great cans out there... for me after buying one griffin can... now I have six and counting. Not saying that it would not have happened as well had I bought from another company. All I know I am very pleased.

Regarding cost.. yes it's a big deal... but considering how much time and sort of pain in the ass it takes...as well as how long you will be married to whatever you buy, it's important not to cheap out. I am not saying you have to get the lambroghini but don't scrimp. If it means an extra $200 it will be worth it in the long run. Spaced over 10 years $200 bucks is nothing.

I am not sure if you have seen this video--- griffin started doing their own testing in house comparing cans side by side. Same host, same meter, same day, same ammo--- all standardized testing. They had a podcast about this and show how some suppressor companies fudge their numbers for marketing purposes by trying to stack the deck. Company A might use standard 9mm ammo to test, but company B in order to say they get so many DB might use some fancy 165 grain pistol ammo that barely can work the slide, if at all. Naturally you get wide number differences but it's not an apples to apples comparison just looking at things based on advertising.

In their new series of sound tests they keep everything standard, which is way more real in terms of comparison.