Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No need to build an AR for a suppressor host. The SCAR or G36 are much better platforms for shooting suppressed and mitigating gas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don’t think anyone can have just one. I bought a couple 30 cal Sakers thinking along the same lines you were thinking but then wanted a dedicated 5.56 can to cut some weight and length so I got a Soecwar. Fast forward to Surefire minis and I’m finally happy all around. Those 30cal cans are comparatively yuugge on a 5.56.....but it is nice for the 300 BO and some 7.62. One thing that I’ve found to be important is the POI shift and the mounting system......you’ll find they vary if people are being honest. If you are only shooting suppressed then I guess it doesn’t matter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    My 5.56 experience is different in terms of gas. UWone, let me build you a rifle

I seriously have ZERO blowback on any of mine. I don’t leave the range with a stained face from powder/carbon/gun lube.

I do agree that they’re not movie quiet but there are some cans out there that are MUCH more quiet than others. On the louder end: Surefire and OSS. Quieter end: Rugged, Griffin, YHM, AEM (specialized reflex cans)...CGS’s new Hyperion is also super quiet but not the right can for everyone

Where you are shooting also makes a big difference. Indoors or in dense woods with a lot of surfaces that return/“trap” the sound versus a wide open field for example
    An adjustable gas block can go a long way in reducing the gas. I tend to tune gas for unsupressed shooting, though, so I'm overgassed suppressed but reliable either way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Absolutely. Watch this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=&v=3y87pu6wMYE

Almost all cans are 145-150 DB at the ear, not hearing safe at all.

I don’t know how to imbed videos but here’s a clip of me shooting a full auto Triarc with an OSS HX-QD. Fantastic can as as you can see there’s very little if any gas to the face. https://www.instagram.com/p/B7hd84vJ...d=lc57g8kgq778

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face. You can try to mitigate it with gimmicky charging handles, adjustable Gas blocks and BCG's, but in the end, it's still gassy. Nothing like a face full of unburnt power gas. You'll never get to shoot it without the loud crack of the bullet because of the lack of subsonic rounds.. even if you find them, they typically don't cycle reliably. 5.56 suppressed is basically to take the edge off. This is why I've pretty much gone all to K and mini cans for 5.56.

If I could have one can, I'd go 7.62 so I could put it on a bolt gun as well and shoot 300 BLK suppressed on an AR.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    No need to build an AR for a suppressor host. The SCAR or G36 are much better platforms for shooting suppressed and mitigating gas.
    Just make sure you replace your gas jet on the scar or you’ll most likely break a bolt from the 150% increase in carrier velocity when running suppressed ($389 fix btw, ask me how I know *cry*)
    FFL 07/ NFA 02

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    Just make sure you replace your gas jet on the scar or you’ll most likely break a bolt from the 150% increase in carrier velocity when running suppressed ($389 fix btw, ask me how I know *cry*)
    Yeah PMM tuned my SCAR with a new gas jet when they cut the barrel down. It runs so smoothly suppressed, I have a hard time believing I waited this long to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Too add to the info. Digging and reading, seems that you can use asr mounts, type b, Q stuff, and other options. So it’s not limited to the yhm option.

Which opens up all kinds of options and makes them gen more appealing..

Still lookin around, but one local dealer got back to me. He is $100 for transfer and SS kiosk fee. hansohn b. has the turbo k for 318 shipped. =418

Silencer shop doesn’t have it in stock, supposedly end of month for said cans, 400 said and shipped , thru them. Which says no other fees are added.

Obviously plus stamp .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Still lookin around, but one local dealer got back to me. He is $100 for transfer and SS kiosk fee..
    You might want to let SS know which one is charging like that. From my understanding per the agreement they make with SS when they sign up they are not allowed to charge any fees like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    You might want to let SS know which one is charging like that. From my understanding per the agreement they make with SS when they sign up they are not allowed to charge any fees like that.
    You might be confused. Doing a non silencer shop deal, but using their kiosk . There allowed up to a $40 fee for using it.

When you order strait from SS to one of their powered by dealers, their is no more fees past what you pay at checkout at SS.

Just clarified this with them in the last week.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to add to my post above. I borrowed the pic from ar15dotcom

Yhm Turbo — turbo k with key mo — turbo k with asr

Name:  9404EF83-C169-4A82-A9E2-6D6476206E88_jpe-1303492.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  109.9 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah PMM tuned my SCAR with a new gas jet when they cut the barrel down. It runs so smoothly suppressed, I have a hard time believing I waited this long to do it.
    LOL so the SCAR is a better suppressor host....but it had to be tuned in order to run more smoothly. Not to mention FN explicitly states running a can voids the warranty....but that’s neither here nor there.

A SCAR 16s is what...$2500? A G36 is probably more than that. You can get a quality, smooth running “DI” AR for far less than either.

You said:
    “Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face. You can try to mitigate it with gimmicky charging handles, adjustable Gas blocks and BCG's, but in the end, it's still gassy”

This is a blanket statement that to someone new to suppressors reading this, I have to address. Sure SOME rifles might be gassy and miserable to shoot, but definitely not all. I will say that when properly tuned, the Griffin SNACH, PRI Gasbuster, etc are unnecessary. I only use a SNACH because it’s a solid charging handle. The gas vent is clean as a whistle

As an experiment for this, I tossed my direct thread can on my carbine gas LMT rifle with ZERO gimmicky mods and there’s no blowback to my face. There is more gas from the ejection port but none rearward into my face:

Name:  8644E4C1-4AE5-43E4-A145-A28C8164DA3D.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  95.5 KB

The gas is following the brass ejection. I had lubed the rifle heavily and there was no carbon or lube spatter on my face or shooting glasses

Now, if we want to talk specific brands that are known to be over gassed, like DD, PSA, etc, I’ll join that all day long. But respectfully I can’t agree with the original statement

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, the SCAR had to be tuned, much like you wouldn't just throw parts on an AR for your personal suppressed gun. You tuned it.

I 100% stand by my statement. I have shot virtually every AR I have suppressed including 20-24".... granted they are less gassy, as well as some with adjustable gas blocks, it's still gassy. The AR is not a good suppressed platform, I just use cans to take the edge off. I'm not talking about a sample size of 20,30,40,50, or 60 either.

If you like your setups by all means, keep shooting that huge ball of smoke and gas I see in your pic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just bought a 10” scar barrel so once my form 1 is back I’ll throw it on. Do you know what size gas jet they used on your barrel?
    FFL 07/ NFA 02

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m listening to all your guys input.

I know that AR’s aren’t the best to suppress. Mainly looking to take the edge off. Like said. also get my foot in the door. I can see how this starts and ends with many more...lol

Also hunting with a can sounds like a much better option. As in just overall better manners..

Still lookin hard at the turbo k or resonator k/r2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, the SCAR had to be tuned, much like you wouldn't just throw parts on an AR for your personal suppressed gun. You tuned it.

I 100% stand by my statement. I have shot virtually every AR I have suppressed including 20-24".... granted they are less gassy, as well as some with adjustable gas blocks, it's still gassy. The AR is not a good suppressed platform, I just use cans to take the edge off. I'm not talking about a sample size of 20,30,40,50, or 60 either.

If you like your setups by all means, keep shooting that huge ball of smoke and gas I see in your pic.
    I’m just pointing out you said ARs arent the best platform because they need tuning, and then said you tuned the rifle that is a better substitute. Kind of made me chuckle

My test photo up there WAS gassy and that was the point of doing it. There was zero gas mitigation in place. But it was literally all out of the ejection port. No watery eyes etc, to counter your statement of: “Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face”. Granted my experiment is a sample size of one, but not all ARs are the same, which is the point: none of my other ARs are like the one in the picture.

Saying a SCAR is a better suppressor host than an AR is like saying a Corvette is better than all other cars with two doors. One very specific example to a very very broad and heterogenous category.