Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I appreciate the info...I’m getting frustrated if you can’t tell..lol

This would be a lot easier if I could shoot some of these things before I committed..

For you guys with the Reece 5 or 7’s , are they a gassy can? If that makes sense, reading and watching videos you can see some of it, but hard to define it not seeing in person..atleast for me

That Reece 7 is intriguing, but that’s putting me up over a grand..kinda heavy can at that..the R2 without the QD Mount is 14 ounces and 6.9 long..

Ahhhhhh
    Believe me when I tell you that I have been exactly where you are right now. I would have loved to shoot all the cans before I bought but unless you go to a silencer shop range day it won't happen.

I have both the 5 and 7 and neither one is gassy. I rarely get a wiff of smoke in the face. In my experience and looking at it through the lens of a reloader sometimes that is a function of the ammo. Some powders are much more smokey or have different characteristics. On the other hand some powders are cleaner and run more efficiently in a given barrel length. The only times I really get choked to some degree is if I am doing some mag dumps with some of the more gassy/smokey powders. But normal shooting for me....not hardly ever with either can.

As for the weight it depends. If you are talking about absolute weight neither is really that bad, especially the 5. That said a lot of that is a function of how you have your rifle set up. If I gave you a 2.5 pound weight and you strapped it on your chest rig that's one thing...but if I had you tape it on the end of 4 foot long broom handle that's different. Where and how you carry the weight matters. Having a good balanced rifle to me is very important, moreso than just absolute weight. I've picked up other people's suppressed rifles and they were so out of balance it's not even funny. It would drive me nuts. But my rifles all have really nice balance points front to back. Yes absolute weight is one aspect, but for me it's not as important for what I like to do vs the balance. If I started to have to run around and swing around constantly or if I was going to hike 20 miles a day for a week straight I might be a lot more concerned about absolute weight, but even then I think balance is important too.

If you want a light weight can that performs really well the explorr series is good too. They are substantially lighter and shorter but deliver good sound performance as well. Keep in mind that those cans are tuned slightly different than the 7 from what I understand. Any suppressor can essentially just choke off almost everything at the muzzle but that's not always good, especially on any semi auto. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch so that gas will just be blasting you with really loud port pop. You might get that 130 at the muzzle but you will also get 145-148 at the ear with some cans. The explorr series seem to be tuned for semi auto use... a few DB louder at the muzzle but also a few quieter at the ear.

At the end of the day you really can't go wrong with griffin to be honest. For me it came down to trusting the advice I was given here on the forum and little more than that. I fawned all over details and that was great---I learned a ton--- and plus I like to nerd out, but at the same time it is a lot of money to spend "blindly"...been there done that. At the end of the day you can trust that NO ONE here will try to steer you wrong. I am quite sure that there are numerous great cans out there... for me after buying one griffin can... now I have six and counting. Not saying that it would not have happened as well had I bought from another company. All I know I am very pleased.

Regarding cost.. yes it's a big deal... but considering how much time and sort of pain in the ass it takes...as well as how long you will be married to whatever you buy, it's important not to cheap out. I am not saying you have to get the lambroghini but don't scrimp. If it means an extra $200 it will be worth it in the long run. Spaced over 10 years $200 bucks is nothing.

I am not sure if you have seen this video--- griffin started doing their own testing in house comparing cans side by side. Same host, same meter, same day, same ammo--- all standardized testing. They had a podcast about this and show how some suppressor companies fudge their numbers for marketing purposes by trying to stack the deck. Company A might use standard 9mm ammo to test, but company B in order to say they get so many DB might use some fancy 165 grain pistol ammo that barely can work the slide, if at all. Naturally you get wide number differences but it's not an apples to apples comparison just looking at things based on advertising.

In their new series of sound tests they keep everything standard, which is way more real in terms of comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the video and the info you wrote.

I get that about powders and such..I’ve been pulling that lever since I was young.

I meant more so as in I hear people say gassy can, or a tight can, on ars I’m talking about.

I see that now about the muzzle devices also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I meant more so as in I hear people say gassy can, or a tight can, on ars I’m talking about.
    There's two kinds of "gassy," so it may not be quite as clear cut as what you're hoping. One form of "gassy" is from the rifle itself. A properly ported barrel will be less gassy, as was discussed previously. There's also the venting of the suppressor. An example of a "gassy" suppressor is the Surefire SOCOM series, but it's gassy intentionally. It's dumping gas out of the bottom of the attachment point in an effort to try and remove some of the gas that goes back into the operating rifle.

If you have a gassy gun, that dumping of gas from the suppressor will only help so much, but sometimes a gassy can is a good thing.

I can't speak to how Griffin handles that, and I'm sure guys like BoilerUp can add their thoughts, but just giving an over-all example.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of my experience is with GA suppressors, but my understanding is that most suppressors of recent design perform pretty similarly with a few minor trade offs within the normal design space with two exceptions: Surefire suppressors are known to create less back pressure which creates less gas for the shooter but at the expense of sound suppression (e.g., they are louder than most), and a few other odd-ball/unique designs like OSS. I have a Surefire SOCOM pending my stamp so hopefully by summer I should be able to do a direct comparison between the GA Recce 5 and the SF SOCOM, albeit with different rifles because of the MD. Like Gator says, the host probably has more to do with the "gassiness" than the can (with the noted exceptions above). With the Recce 5, I get quite a bit of gas with an SBR and very little with my 20" rifle and of course somewhere in between with a carbine. I tune my AGB for unsuppressed and accept the over-gas for suppressed shooting. At least, that's how I tune them before I leave the range, but sometimes I will tune for suppressed for a range session. I just don't like the idea of leaving a rifle in the safe tuned for suppressed shooting as it will be unreliable w/o the suppressor. Sine the GA taper mount system makes it so easy, I move my cans around my rifles a lot.

For the price, those YHM look like a great value. Since that's a new model for 2020, perhaps call and see what YHM thinks the backlog is and maybe just backorder one from SS. SS will start the paperwork as soon as they have the S/N which they get before the manufacturer ships to SS. If you can't find the 7.62 suppressor you really want, you might consider starting with a rimfire can. Those are a ton of fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good video showing the cutaway/explanation video of yhm mounts..kinda interesting

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like you really want the YHM can. You should find a dealer to place an order. Slower selling stuff like YHM may never be stocked locally, you may have to find a dealer willing to find you one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Love my .30 YHM. I have owned mine for about 4 years and never a single problem. It sits on my 10.3" DD 300 blk but, also run it on bolt guns and 5.56 with good results.
    IMO great can for the price.

Name:  20200315_124213.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  1.30 MB
    “Fast is fine, But accuracy is final.” Wyatt Earp

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Sounds like you really want the YHM can. You should find a dealer to place an order. Slower selling stuff like YHM may never be stocked locally, you may have to find a dealer willing to find you one.
    Well I’m not a 100% on anything. Just doing some reading and seen this video.. mounting system seems pretty legit and there are lots of mount options with the thread pattern it has.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can’t find any cans I’m after locally...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would a .30 cal can operate similar to a bolt gun on a lever gun?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's why I'm saying you'll have to place an order. Form 3 times are like 1-2 days now, so your dealer can get you one pretty fast if their distributor or RSR has one in stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Form 3 is super easy. Like UW said it's fast. If you have them form 3 the can and go that route you will most likely have to pay a transfer fee to the FFL though.

For me I tend to stick with Silencer Shop or a company with a proven track record. There are several in Texas here that I don't have a problem with at all when it comes to Form 4 service. I've heard lots of horror stories about people getting their form 4 screwed up by the dealer they got it from.

If you decide to go that route check out the FFL before you do it. Find out from other consumers of that specific FFL what their form 4 experience was and you can avoid a situation you don't want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Discom- is that a phantom or ?

As far as ordering, I’m following along now, nobody has what I’m looking at in stock, besides a few other vendors, but at a higher price than silencer ship and then the transfer fee.

I did check out the guy I’m most likely gonna go thru, as I stopped by and he took 40 minutes of out his day to talk and show me a few different rugged cans..he is a preferred dealer with a kiosk.

Just gonna have to backorder thru SS I guess. More yhm cans at the end of the month and rugged razors are 5-8 weeks out says a guy from SS.

The wrong time to get in I guess. As backorder IG and then form 4 time I’m probably over a year east from now..

Ughhhhh...

Downloads
    Uploads

The wrong time to get in I guess. As backorder IG and then form 4 time I’m probably over a year east from now..

Ughhhhh...
    I wouldn't assume that. From the NFA branch, apparently the FBI gets slammed at the beginning of the year for all checks (not just NFA), so forms submitted mid-year may take less time than forms submitted at the beginning of the year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotcha..

I’m still dwelling over what to do...lol....now this corona crap and run on everything...