Downloads
    Uploads

Normal rate of build up in a suppressor?

I have been looking online and numerous people all claim that subsonic 300 BLK is "dirty" and causes more build up in a suppressor than other types of ammo or calibers. I guess this though is out there because it's not really hot enough to really blow out the can like a normal high performance round would.

As an experiment I'm wondering what the weight/round count vs the list weight of the suppressors you have are.

My 30 caliber can has over 2000 rounds (at least) and probably closer to 3000 with 90 to 95% of them all being subs. At present my can weighs about .6oz more than the list weight.

It's inevitable that a can will have carbon and other fouling that will eventually increase in the suppressor but I'm just wondering how much is "normal".

I doubt that all suppressors will meet the exact weight listed straight out of the box but it probably won't be wildly off either.

If you have a scale handy and a 30 caliber can (preferably something with a higher round count regardless of caliber) it would be interesting to compare a sample size bigger than just one.

Please post the info below or if you have any other data please provide it as well.

(Side note: this came about from a discussion about user serviceable cans, particularly for certain calibers or special use items.

For example I think a suppressed lever action would be cool, or maybe something else with cast bullets or whatever might be cool as well , but it also it might make sense to have a serviceable can in those situations)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can always plug the end of a sealed can and fill it with the “Dip”.

It would be better if I had taken accurate measurements when I first got the cans. Some manufacturers are less accurate in their numbers than others.

I’ve had my Recce 5 Mod 3 for juuuust shy of 5 years. It’s been my most commonly used can up until the last year-ish when I got the OPM and now the Mini-4. Prior to that, it was bouncing around on a few rifles

I’ve manually scraped build up out of the blast baffle a few times.

I got a postage scale out...no telling how accurate it is.

Factory weight of the Recce 5 is supposedly 14.5oz. Current weight is 15.2oz
    Name:  13BEFA88-5C6E-4963-8CAA-53D677A5C727.jpeg
Views: 249
Size:  584.4 KB

Factory weight of the Optimus Micro is 8.5oz and that’s what it weighed in at with the Direct thread mount. With the taper mount (which has some buildup), the factory weight should be 10.5oz; currently weighing 10.7oz. But like I said, the taper mount adapter has buildup in it I haven’t scraped out. No photos

The Mini-4, which has only about 5-600 rounds through it weighed 14oz. AAC says it should be 13.5oz
    Name:  9B0B81F0-537E-49EA-AE6D-D2E649025EE8.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  505.9 KB

I can already see the Brakeout is taking the heat (no pun intended) for the blast baffle...somewhat visible through the port:
    Name:  933C236A-DE0D-49E6-B059-BBF6B26E56E9.jpeg
Views: 234
Size:  177.5 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    General rule of thumb on centerfire cans is when they gain an ounce or two then it’s time to clean. As buildup occurs then internal volume decreases and the suppressor becomes less effective.

300 blk subs are dirtier in cans than supers because the gas velocity is less so it has less oomph to push out unburnt powders and junk. I usually like running a few supers through after shooting subs to help clear it out.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    300 blk subs are dirtier in cans than supers because the gas velocity is less so it has less oomph to push out unburnt powders and junk. I usually like running a few supers through after shooting subs to help clear it out.
    This is what I do as well. It seems like a sound theory. I have no idea if it works; I've neither weighed, nor clean my Alpha since I got it (around 6k of a mix of 300 sub and super and M855).
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!