Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aero M5 issue. Suggestions?

Specs; Aero .308 upper/lower/parts kit, Faxon 18” pencil bbl - rifle gas, adjustable gas block, Lantac E-BCG (black nitride), RE10 extension w/extra power spring and H3 buffer.

No problems suppressed with AGB closed down several clicks. W/O can bolt will lock back but not eject the case. Pulls from chamber and lies loose in upper even with gasblock fully open.

I’ll try swapping the BCG from my factory 16” mid-gas MI gun that runs well both ways. Any other ideas to try? Could the extra venting of the enhanced bcg require a different weight buffer? I’m fine with making this a dedicated suppressed rifle if need be.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d try a lighter buffer and/or lighter spring. Sounds like you’re stacking up the tension to limit operation. Try the other BCG too but I doubt that’s the issue.

I had a similar issue with a 308 BA barrel. Wide open gas block, light buffer, and it still wouldn’t cycle unsuppressed. I sent the barrel back to BA and they opened up the port.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Fledge. I’ll try the spring/buffer first as I have spares.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Fledge - the first think I'd do is drop that extra-power spring.

Also, which ammo? My limited experience suggests that when you are on the edge of having a tuned system there is a pretty big difference between commercial .308 vs milsurp 7.62, which the latter being comparatively underpowered.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Single or double extractor?

Try with or without insert or different spring maybe

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I agree with Fledge - the first think I'd do is drop that extra-power spring.

Also, which ammo? My limited experience suggests that when you are on the edge of having a tuned system there is a pretty big difference between commercial .308 vs milsurp 7.62, which the latter being comparatively underpowered.
    Don’t you mean the former is underpowered as in .223 vs 5.56? I was using German Nato 7.62.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Single or double extractor?

Try with or without insert or different spring maybe
    I had an extractor spring issue with a 6.8 SPC build, but the problem was not releasing the case which is not the case here. Doubt the super expensive bolt design is at fault.

I was using the long orange EP spring,and now,I see people saying the shorter red sprinco is correct with the RE 10. So much mis-information out there. I will try different combinations of springs/buffers and report back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Don’t you mean the former is underpowered as in .223 vs 5.56? I was using German Nato 7.62.
    308/7.62 is backwards compared to .223/5.56. I'm guessing this was done to keep the Commies guessing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Amazing! At 71 I still learn new things daily.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, read to fast, seen your using a Lantac

I see you have a good idea of what’s going on.

Also , something I always check now and shim if needed.

How much clearance between your bolt and bolt catch when you rack it all the way back? Good rule of thumb is about a nickel worth of gap. I always shrink mine a hair. But not too much..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was using the long orange EP spring,and now,I see people saying the shorter red sprinco is correct with the RE 10. So much mis-information out there. I will try different combinations of springs/buffers and report back.
    A RE10/A5 extension is the same as an Armalite length AR-10 buffer, so for .308 you'd use an AR-15 sized buffer and an Armalite pattern springs (Armalite part #EA1095). According to SpringCo, the RED is correct.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stang. Bolt catch clearance is good.

Boiler. Yes, I saw Sprinco says red spring for the RE10. Somewhere else said use the orange which I had installed. Hopefully the red cures the problem. Might be a couple weeks before I get back to the range to test.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stang. Bolt catch clearance is good.

Boiler. Yes, I saw Sprinco says red spring for the RE10. Somewhere else said use the orange which I had installed. Hopefully the red cures the problem. Might be a couple weeks before I get back to the range to test.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
    I'll also add that since you have an AGB you might end up being happier with the Armalite EA1095 spring instead of the Springco Extra Power spring, especially if you normally shoot 7.62x51. The main advantage of an AGB is you can tune your gas so you don't need a stronger spring in the first place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just installed 2 Orange Springs into my 12.5 308 SBR and a 16" 308, both Aero M5's.

Still waiting on the PD range to open so I can see if they run better. Not any issues right now, but I know the Orange Spring is recommended if you're using an AR15 length receiver extension. I'd use the 308 buffer instead of the H3 to start.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I just installed 2 Orange Springs into my 12.5 308 SBR and a 16" 308, both Aero M5's.

Still waiting on the PD range to open so I can see if they run better. Not any issues right now, but I know the Orange Spring is recommended if you're using an AR15 length receiver extension. I'd use the 308 buffer instead of the H3 to start.
    Isn't the 308 buffer the short stubby one? If so, that should only be used in the AR15 carbine length buffer tubes as those are too short for the AR10/A5 extensions. I made the mistake once of running a 308 buffer in a AR10 extension and ended up damaging the threads on the rear of the lower receiver from bcg over travel.

That said, in principle I think you are right as the .308 buffer is about the same weight as an H buffer, so I'd probably start with an H instead of the H3.