Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy $$$ Build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome but I’m looking for the 12.5”

I got on a few notification lists but looks like I may be waiting awhile. If anyone comes across one let me know.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think he only does a few runs a year as it was but with the covid stuff going on it may be a really long wait... have you considered the V7 12.5"
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah Gator had mentioned them at some point. They’re also near the top of the consideration pile, but I don’t mind waiting awhile. Still waiting on a scope, the laser engraving (though hopefully that’ll be done this week), and I still have to form 1 the thing.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Ok I’ve been doing more digging on this Hodge barrels. Def in the market for one now.
    Check Weapon Outfitters. Roy always gives people a heads up and opens pre-orders when Hodge stuff is expected.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I got on the notification list there just a bit ago. Just now got on their email subscription after your comment about opening preorders. Thanks for the heads up!
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't give you the answer about energy, as I can only give you numbers I'm seeing but I'm not smart enough to know if they're "lethal" enough. But from a practical standpoint, I've found 500y to be where my 12.5" gets very touchy with wind. If you don't have a solid wind read, I've found the bullet is really getting pushed around out that far. As you know, I'm a fan of the setup, but like everything, there's positives and negatives.
    Last edited by gatordev; 10 November 2020 at 11:01. Reason: Spelling

Downloads
    Uploads
    It’ll be suppressed a good portion of the time. Really though my bigger concern is effective range vs. length. I really want to hit that 4-500y range with good effect.
    I personally wouldn't go under 14.5" if I was concerned about terminal ballistics beyond 300-400 yards. SOCOM barrel (Colt/BCM) for a "duty use", or Rainier UM or one of the many other fantastic match barrels on the market

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, ran some ballistic tables using 77gr. Razorcore at 2550fps. Made an educated guess on the velocity based off what I could find online.

Matchkings frag to around 1800fps’ish.

Velocity shows around 1,700fps at 400y at 498 ft. lbs. of energy, and 1,520fps at 500y with 395 ft. lbs. of energy.

Transonic starting around 800y.

So, looks like frag range is likely behind you at 400y, but, the energy at 500y is still the same as a hot 9mm. I’ll read that as “Deadly at 500? Probably. Ballistically superior? No.”
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 2530 fps at 80* and sea level (suppressed with a mini), so sounds like your numbers are credible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 500 thats like a hail mary pass, whats the holdover? Around 8 Feet??
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    70.6”

vs. 60.5” out of a 16” barrel.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    500 yards with a 12.5" barrel? Doable but lethality is another question.
    I can tell you that a Noveske 12.5 SS barrel with a Short Dot using MK262 is lethal out to 400 M.
    Last edited by docsherm; 10 November 2020 at 16:56.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had thought something like Mk262, IMI 77gr. Razorcore, or Hornady 75gr. Frontier should perform at 500y. Maybe I need to look at that data little closer. I’m leaning 12.5” for sure. Looking at the BRT 12.5” and the Hodge.
    2 weeks ago i was slaping full ipsc silhouette steel targets at 400 yards with mk262 and a 6x Credo at TacPro.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome but I’m looking for the 12.5”

I got on a few notification lists but looks like I may be waiting awhile. If anyone comes across one let me know.
    I currently have 3 12.5 SBRs. Have them all set up differently. The best all around barrel i have is the Ballistic Advantage 12.3 Hanson Profile barrel. It is light weight and still ridged enough to hang a can off the end. It is also a solid sub MOA barrel. The fact that it comes with a pinned gas block it an extra bonus.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate to throw cold water, actually I don't, so tell me OP and others, exactly what will your huge bucks AR do that my mil spec AR won't do?