Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Let’s talk about...adjustable gas keys, gas blocks , carriers etc

So kinda bored and kinda brainstorming...Never gave much look into such until now that I have a can in jail and have started...

So in terms of getting , maybe not the most out of a setup , but to take advantage of some of these to tune your rifles.As I’m ocd and this has started something...

Gas keys- RCA and such .. never gave much Looks till lately, look like a good idea and cheap alternative.. maybe a little dirtier? Once it’s set , Is it in there secure?

Carriers- I like the looks of the newer bootleg adj carriers, but they have been vapor ware.. How good do they work? Noticeable difference?

Gas blocks- I know this could get deep..lol..but I’ll skip all that..as I’ve never needed to use one, and kinda never wanted to, but the 308 and maybe a 300 black upper , seem like a good idea.

What’s the best one out there, does the superlative One with venting actually work worth a shit?

I like carrier option , rather then the gas block idea..but...idk..

Discuss...set me strait..whatever..lol..

Downloads
    Uploads

Let’s talk about...adjustable gas keys, gas blocks , carriers etc

With respect to adjustable gas blocks......yes for 308, but no for 300 BO as it is not needed nor should it be. Just my $.02.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Second what tact posted. 300 should work with subs or supers, suppressed or not. The formula should just work like no other setup, aside from the coming 8.6 creedmoor (Blackout?).

I, and several others here have found that using an AGB to tone down an unsuppressed .308 greatly helps it to act more civilized when suppressed. I haven't done a ton of rapid fire with my "big" rifle, but the block was an instant improvement with otherwise stock carbine gas system (ie: buffer and spring weights). Mine has an 18" barrel, so its not really a good "kick the door and unleash hate" battle rifle setup. 12.5 lbs scoped is more of a bench rifle unless your into those painful ruck challenges.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't speak to the other things like adjustable gas keys, but this is just my opinion. First thing would be to try and make the rifle work with standard or semi standard parts. You might have to use a heavier buffer or a stronger buffer spring but in general that's the rule. That said I have adjustable gas blocks on all of my rifles. Part of that is because I didn't know any different and part of it is because I wanted to have it.

Particularly because I am reloading geek, and especially with 300 BLK it does give a lot more options in that regard. However once you set the gas block, once you get a few hundred rounds down range adjusting it is a real pain in the ass. It carbons up and that's that.

What I did is bought one box of each of all the cheapest, weakest 300 BLK ammo I could find and adjusted to the weakest one to cycle suppressed and unsuppressed and haven't touched it since.

Speaking of 'specialty loads' with 300 BLK it really is a thing. If you use powder like Reloader 7 you can load really lightweight bullets to subsonic speeds. Problem is that powder is a bulky, gassy, and relatively slow powder. The net result is the bolt opens while the powder is still expanding so it's LOUD AF at the ear. In my opinion it's not even hearing safe even though it's subsonic because that port pop is loud. Same thing with several other powders I've used.

On the flip side I've used several much faster powders, even some pistol specific powders with some heavier bullets and that's just absolutely stupid quiet and clean. It cycles the action, locks the bolt, and doesn't have powder/velocity shift either. If I ever decide to break the carbon lock on my gas block realistically I would have several more options when it comes to powder/bullet combinations. [That said it would potentially mess up the way I have it tuned now to eat any off the shelf ammo I could find if I do so I am not messing with it for now]

The gas block does give options until it doesn't. Like I said, I haven't moved the settings on mine since they were first set on any of my rifles.

For sure though I would not get an adjustable carrier and mix that with an adjustable block and so on. Way too many adjustment points to where it will be a waste of money and a pain in the ass to deal with.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 4 June 2020 at 11:09.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The adjustable gas keys and carriers are what I’m looking at more, as most of my barrels are pinned gas blocks, so don’t feel like redoing em.

I get all that on reloading.....I’ve been cranking boolits out for years. Dabbled in BO years ago and now looking at it again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also forgot , I see the sized gas tubes and have heard good things..anyone use such?
    The big name place is escaping me right now ..br or be something

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Superlative/Rainier bleed off gas block is what’s up. Running it in bleed off mode where it vents excess gas (and you can see the results of it on the barrel in front of the block) is so much better than restrictive blocks IMO

I’ve only seen a couple people who must’ve had excessively large gas ports in which they couldn’t get the gas venting enough for proper bolt lock/function etc. In that case, Superlative can open up the vent for you to let more gas escape if you contact their CS.

I’ve installed two SLR gas blocks on friends rifles and while they are good quality and they work, they’re restrictive only, and tend to be more expensive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don't see any need for an adjustable anything on 300 BLK. I do have lots of Superlative blocks on 308's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya the 308 definitely needs something..

But it’s also hard not having the can yet, to see how they act..

Always wondered how good those super-bleed off setups were

Downloads
    Uploads
    .308 suppressed with full gas is a train wreck. Just imagine the sound of tortured metal, twisting and colliding, and you get the picture.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I get it..

But also the gas port on this UM is very small already..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Ya the 308 definitely needs something..

But it’s also hard not having the can yet, to see how they act..

Always wondered how good those super-bleed off setups were
    I have both SLR and Superlative (RA marked for their customer .800 UM barrels) AGBs. Both are effective. My preference is SLR primarily because the adjustment clicks are much more positive on the SLR so I find it overall a bit easier to adjust consistently.

I also don't understand the logic behind the superlative block and find it gimmicky. The entire gas system on an AR is a bleed off system. The rifle purposely creates gassed to propel the bullet and system bleeds off gas from the barrel to cycle the action. An AGB let's us limit how much is bled off. I'm not sure why you'd want to bleed off excess gas from a bleed off system. Seems like if you don't need the gas, you should leave it where it is for its primary purpose (to propel the bullet down the barrel). The SA bleed off functions just fine, I just don't see any advantage of bleed off over traditional restricted flow systems.

That said, both SA and SLR are good designs that generally don't become carboned up and stuck. They are both well made and are really the only two I would consider buying, but I send my money to SLR when I need an AGB. I'd also add that I have received exceptional CS from SLR in the past, so that has surely created a little brand loyalty on my part.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 300 has ran fine with standard gas block but my 308 needed one to suppress it. It ran perfect with the factory gas block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I also forgot , I see the sized gas tubes and have heard good things..anyone use such?
    The big name place is escaping me right now ..br or be something
    https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...Drive-c6464009

I use their gas block insert rather than the tubes for one of my rifles; the other rifle has an old MicroMOA Govnah AGB, and I will probably use a Govnah on my next build.

The Superlative does sound interesting, though I've heard some mixed reviews about the efficacy of the bleed-off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...Drive-c6464009

I use their gas block insert rather than the tubes for one of my rifles; the other rifle has an old MicroMOA Govnah AGB, and I will probably use a Govnah on my next build.

The Superlative does sound interesting, though I've heard some mixed reviews about the efficacy of the bleed-off.
    If it’s not bleeding off enough gas then there’s a serious excess of it. Ive seen their customer service telling people to send them the block back and they’ll open it up for more bleed off. They designed them to work with the majority of setups out there but there will always be outliers

I’ve got three of them. I think they are all opened up to within 2-3 turns of full bleed off but if I shot a “weak” load through them (like Tula in .223), I doubt it would function well unsuppressed