Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
IMHO 6.5 Grendel never got mainstream, so this will go the way of .224, .350 and anything else since 300 BO.

If you want to shoot straight and far, just do 6.5 Creedmoor. Laser beams all day long. Everyone these days have multiple AR's just build another large frame!
That's definitely a valid couple of points for a variety of reasons. Realistically who has access to an 1100 yard range? That said the .224 in my view was in large part a failure because it couldn't deliver what was advertised. You had one projectile that the fluff was based on to call it "a 1,000 yard rifle". While I am sure lots of people took theirs to 1000 yards, enough were not able to get there. Basically it didn't live up to the hype. Same story but different with the 22 Nosler or others. It really didn't solve anything.

With the 6mm bullet selection though it's proven for like 60 years or more of testing. My googlefu says 1955 until now it's been in continuous use. Any given weekend people are shooting 6mm out past a grand in some kind of competition or another. They don't really have to figure out what twist rate is needed to stabilize a 90 grain 224 bullet...so the marriage of components for this cartridge in my eyes makes a lot more sense. I am a lot more confident that it will live up to the hype at least performance wise. 1000 yard gun? YUP. I am way more confident in this than I was initially in the 224 because I am fairly confident that this will out do everything the .224 was originally billed as and more. Basically by using proven components they will be able to deliver the goods to those who are after it where others did not.

If you look at the competition precision rifle shooting market 6mm rules. According to this article 7 out of 8 pro shooters use 6mm.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/...rifle-caliber/

For me, I would consider this cartridge as an intermediate caliber. That said I can shoot it and get into it for relatively cheap compared to buying an all new custom rifle or whatever. Don't get me wrong... I am nowhere near at saturation point for gun ownership. If I make a few million anytime soon I can promise I will scratch several itches. Overall though for the ability to bang out to 1,000 yards in a standard AR frame is a great idea that has been pursued (unsuccessfully) by several companies. I personally could load up 100 rounds in a rifle like this and have a ball all afternoon.

Don't get me wrong (again)... a good 6.5 CM that I can take to a mile is on my very short list. I could buy or build one now but I am not willing to over extend myself (for now) for what is ultimately a hobby. Hell if I could afford $10 bucks a round and I had access to somewhere to shoot several thousand meters out I would be all over a 375 Enablr. Chasing insane distances is never ending.

The appeal to me for this is what initially had me looking at the .224...(that I never bought into). This is something I could shoot relatively cheap and scratch that itch without having to sell a kidney.

And that's not saying the Grendel is bad... but to me this has way more appeal for how I would use it.