Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did my first load development today. I did a velocity test and two other tests. I am using 112 grain Match Burners because that's all I got.

With 29 grains of CFE 223 I got 2668 velocity. I backed off a lot and didn't get to max because that grain weight of bullet is not listed anywhere.

On the very first 5 shot string I looked at the chronograph and my SD was 7. That's pretty good.

I just seated the bullets to magazine length and went for it. I am far from being anywhere near completed, but with the factory ammo I was getting under an MOA with that, and with these first few shots I think it has potential. We will see how it turns out.

Those bullets might work good and they might not. The overall shape of the bullet doesn't give much leeway on seating depth. This is literally the first day shooting those so we shall see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I did my first load development today. I did a velocity test and two other tests. I am using 112 grain Match Burners because that's all I got.

With 29 grains of CFE 223 I got 2668 velocity. I backed off a lot and didn't get to max because that grain weight of bullet is not listed anywhere.

On the very first 5 shot string I looked at the chronograph and my SD was 7. That's pretty good.

I just seated the bullets to magazine length and went for it. I am far from being anywhere near completed, but with the factory ammo I was getting under an MOA with that, and with these first few shots I think it has potential. We will see how it turns out.

Those bullets might work good and they might not. The overall shape of the bullet doesn't give much leeway on seating depth. This is literally the first day shooting those so we shall see.
    Berger 109s seem to be a favorite. Hopefully the 112s will work. Price is certainly good for that particular bullet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Berger 109s seem to be a favorite. Hopefully the 112s will work. Price is certainly good for that particular bullet.

109s are definitely on my list. I have 300 of the Match Burners. I will be on the lookout for more options to test. I am open to anything 107 and up. If I can get good results from the 112s that will be awesome. They are cheap and have a high-ish BC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    109s are definitely on my list. I have 300 of the Match Burners. I will be on the lookout for more options to test. I am open to anything 107 and up. If I can get good results from the 112s that will be awesome. They are cheap and have a high-ish BC.
    I'd think the Vapor Trail 103s might be worth a try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    More Eagle's Nest:

https://youtu.be/oiRWRiVJ_28

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    More Eagle's Nest:

https://youtu.be/oiRWRiVJ_28

His approach in this video is much better than trying to drum up 'controversy' by making off the cuff statements. If he had started out this whole thing by just doing it then he would have never gotten nearly as much heat for his comments.

I personally won't write off the idea of changing some chamber dimensions, not by a mile would I write that off as a distinct possibility (or even probability)...

Any time you are working with what is essentially the first wave of anything, much less barrels or cartridges, you should expect that things will get tuned up over time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been doing a little bit of load development. I have been extremely limited in supplies though because 6mm bullets have been vaporware. Also I have been really busy with other stuff. I started out trying some 112 grain matchburners, but then the other day I saw a box of Hornady 108 grain on the shelf in Academy. I bought them and today started out with them.

This was literally the first load I shot with them without doing any seating depth testing on those specific bullets. It was the very first charge weight too.

Name:  one.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  576.0 KB

The group measured approximately .517 inches from outside edges. If you translate that center to center it's a .27 inch group. Since one MOA is 1.08 inches that works out to exactly .25 MOA.

Name:  two.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  509.2 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    1 MOA = 1.047”

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    1 MOA = 1.047”
    Thanks. I couldn't remember the exact number for the life of me. I knew it was just over an inch, not an actual inch.

Still not a bad group for day one with some new bullets.

.257 MOA group ain't too shabby.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I couldn't remember the exact number for the life of me. I knew it was just over an inch, not an actual inch.

Still not a bad group for day one with some new bullets.

.257 MOA group ain't too shabby.
    Very nice….

I may have missed it, but what was your final setup to include glass?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Very nice….

I may have missed it, but what was your final setup to include glass?
    Tip to tail I have a Griffin Explorr 30 with a 6.5 cal taper mount device. A custom 24" McGowan barrel, bead blasted with flutes. A Cross Machine handguard and a matching Cross Machine slick side upper. BCG is a RCA, POF Strike Eagle charging handle. Scope mount is a Griffin SPRM 15MOA, and the optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle with a MIL reticle.

I am using the lower from one of my other rifles, matching Cross Machine lower, of course with a single stage CMC flat face drop in trigger. I will build a dedicated lower for this gun most likely. I built the upper to get it shooting and work out any possible kinks and to verify that I want to be in this caliber before I went all in.

It's pretty cool having (easily) a 1,000 yard gun not much bigger than a regular old AR. I chose the longer barrel because I wanted to...but I think if you are not going to shoot past 1K you could get away with an 18 inch barrel most likely.

If I can score some more bullets I will take this one to a grand and beyond. All I have available on a regular basis is 1,400 yards so I think this will get there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Starline recently said that once they catch up on their backlog that they will also start making 6ARC brass. They estimated that it might be around the end of summer but who knows.

I have 500 pieces of starline 6.5 grendel brass that I am forming into 6ARC. It's a relatively easy conversion for sure but having a second source for factory brass is a welcome sight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tip to tail I have a Griffin Explorr 30 with a 6.5 cal taper mount device. A custom 24" McGowan barrel, bead blasted with flutes. A Cross Machine handguard and a matching Cross Machine slick side upper. BCG is a RCA, POF Strike Eagle charging handle. Scope mount is a Griffin SPRM 15MOA, and the optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle with a MIL reticle.

I am using the lower from one of my other rifles, matching Cross Machine lower, of course with a single stage CMC flat face drop in trigger. I will build a dedicated lower for this gun most likely. I built the upper to get it shooting and work out any possible kinks and to verify that I want to be in this caliber before I went all in.

It's pretty cool having (easily) a 1,000 yard gun not much bigger than a regular old AR. I chose the longer barrel because I wanted to...but I think if you are not going to shoot past 1K you could get away with an 18 inch barrel most likely.

If I can score some more bullets I will take this one to a grand and beyond. All I have available on a regular basis is 1,400 yards so I think this will get there.
    I see Hornady 105s here semi regularly

Are the 108s ELDs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to admit, now that I'm shooting 6mm Creedmoor the ARC is a bit more interesting for the AR platform. Still not a fan of the 7.62x39/6.5 Grendel bolt face, though, and I really don't have a use for it, but it is interesting.

I'm sticking with Berger for the Creed, 105 VLD Target and 108 Boat Tail Target. If you shoot VLD, they can be happy with a crazy amount of jump

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I see Hornady 105s here semi regularly

Are the 108s ELDs?
    I am not quite sure of your question. I have experimented with two bullets but that is mainly because of availability. The first ones I tried were 112 grain Barnes but I had mixed results accuracy wise.

Later on I found some 108 grain Hornady projectiles and I shot a quarter MOA group on the first day of testing. It seems like those bullets have been more available so I bought 500 of them. I am keen to try some Berger 109's and a few from Sierra but they are all vaporware.

I did shoot some 105's in factory ammo a while back. I bought it to harvest the brass before I was able to get some Starline.