Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @alamo5000 did you get an upper together? Anyone else experimenting with this cartridge?

I recently bought a 16" Faxon bolt and barrel for an old S&W I don't use much. Seems like a good use of a rifle that's otherwise taking up space. That's about as far as I've gotten so far.

Ammo is available as are dies. Bullets are not terribly hard to find. Powder and primers are non-existent as is 6 ARC brass. The easy answer is to buy factory ammo and make brass that way. Size and trim Grendel is another fairly easy option. It should also be possible to form brass from 220 Russian or 7.62x39.

I suppose in friendlier times we'd have brass and ammo from several companies. Hopefully someone like Federal is working on the ARC. It would be nice to have a budget load from PPU or S&B.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some velocity data from Hornady:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    @alamo5000 did you get an upper together?
    Yes. My upper is put together and I have a total of 40 rounds through it. I have been having optics issues so I haven't shot it a ton yet.

My build specs for the upper are:

24" McGowan Custom barrel with 1:7 twist rate and a rifle gas length
    CMT slick side upper and 15" rail
    SLR adjustable block
    Rubber City bolt and carrier
    Griffin muzzle device and a Explorr 30 suppressor

I built this gun to scratch the 1K yard itch which it is more than capable of doing. I will probably take it much farther once I get the optics thing worked out.

If this thing turns out to be a shooter I will build out a lower for it. For now I am using one of my other lowers until I can prove it will shoot and that I really like it.

I bought 120 factory rounds to basically cull the brass. I haven't shot but 40 rounds of that. I have 16 pounds of CFE 223 on hand and a bunch of primers still.

I finished my upper a couple of weeks ago when my barrel got done so not much chance to get a feel for it yet considering my optic issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some velocity data from Hornady:

Wow.Those numbers are not that impressive..

What am I missing?
    My grendel shoots Harder then that.. Which I’ve been looking at the 224 grendel if I wanted a small laser beam of a rd..

I get it though..get bored and the newest thing pops up and gotta have..only to be.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    What am I missing?
    My grendel shoots Harder then that...
    It isn't all about muzzle velocity.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the end of the day the 6 ARC has a whole lot more versatility. You can shoot a much larger array of bullets and be effective with them.

In the ARC you can go from 50 something all the way up to 115 including the highest BC bullets available in 6mm. This same thing is not true with the Grendel. Once you get to like 120ish grain bullets you are maxed out. Those bigger longer, higher BC bullets in 6.5 can't be pushed fast enough or far enough for them to be effective.

With 6.5 mid 120's and down is what you get. With the 6ARC I can run all the way up to 115gr DTAC which I think are the heaviest 6mm available.

When you get into ballistics and all that stuff is where the ARC shines. If you are shooting bambi at 200 yards either of them however will be extremely effective. I built mine (6ARC) with the sole purpose of having a longer range target rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I assembled a 24” Bartlein in 6ARC with a Seekins upper/lower for a friend recently

He’s all over the 2” poppers at 500yds using 108gr. I want to say it’s in the high 2600fps range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol..I knew the defense would come out..No need to sell me on anything.. I Do My own research in this area and don’t need to ask 87 questions...

OK..I’ll play since it’s hot and the ginger is burning up.. :)

It isn't all about muzzle velocity.

I’ve seen that and lots of videos comparing the grendel..

It still doesn’t impress me, remember the hype on the Valkyrie..lol..ya.. 224 grendel kills it in every way..

90’s at 3000+
    75’s at 3300-3400
    55’s at 3550+

You really want to shine, why not build one of the record holding PRC’s?

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    At the end of the day the 6 ARC has a whole lot more versatility. You can shoot a much larger array of bullets and be effective with them.

Wrong..and your opinion..What versatility? Higher ammo costs and availability ?

In the ARC you can go from 50 something all the way up to 115 including the highest BC bullets available in 6mm. This same thing is not true with the Grendel. Once you get to like 120ish grain bullets you are maxed out. Those bigger longer, higher BC bullets in 6.5 can't be pushed fast enough or far enough for them to be effective.

Again wrong, you are not maxed out at 120 with the 6.5 grendel...lol..shows what you know..there is much heavier bullets and a small selection of subsonic stuff is trickling out now

With 6.5 mid 120's and down is what you get. With the 6ARC I can run all the way up to 115gr DTAC which I think are the heaviest 6mm available.

Again..phuck ing wrong

When you get into ballistics and all that stuff is where the ARC shines. If you are shooting bambi at 200 yards either of them however will be extremely effective. I built mine (6ARC) with the sole purpose of having a longer range target rifle.

Again , why not build a better, proven round if you truly want long range.. shit, you can lob .556/77’s out to a grand... grendel even farther, and I’m not raving, but I picked up a barrel cheap and so far it’s been the best shooter of the bunch and see no reason to switch out the barrel for what I see..
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I assembled a 24” Bartlein in 6ARC with a Seekins upper/lower for a friend recently

He’s all over the 2” poppers at 500yds using 108gr. I want to say it’s in the high 2600fps range.
    That’s not bad, but still, if just shooting steel, 556/grendel already gets you their..

To each their own. I work with what I got and shoot it, change shit as I see fit.. Better then 90% of keyboard commandos just running their mouth and not shooting.

But how is the 6mm arc build doing Alamo? What’s ammo costing ya..any more threads on it?? Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Lol..I knew the defense would come out..No need to sell me on anything.. I Do My own research in this area and don’t need to ask 87 questions...

OK..I’ll play since it’s hot and the ginger is burning up.. :)

I’ve seen that and lots of videos comparing the grendel..

It still doesn’t impress me, remember the hype on the Valkyrie..lol..ya.. 224 grendel kills it in every way..

90’s at 3000+
    75’s at 3300-3400
    55’s at 3550+

You really want to shine, why not build one of the record holding PRC’s?

That’s not bad, but still, if just shooting steel, 556/grendel already gets you their..

To each their own. I work with what I got and shoot it, change shit as I see fit.. Better then 90% of keyboard commandos just running their mouth and not shooting.

But how is the 6mm arc build doing Alamo? What’s ammo costing ya..any more threads on it?? Lol
    Not the defense. Just trying to provide you with some info. If you've already done your own research then good for you. Enjoy whatever it is you like shooting and think is better than whatever else is out there.

We, as a group, can work awfully hard sometimes to take all the fun out of what should be a fun and enjoyable hobby. Taking ourselves way too seriously certainly doesn't help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I missed the memo where the Grendel fanboys were required to give up their guns and exchange them for 6 ARC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I missed the memo where the Grendel fanboys were required to give up their guns and exchange them for 6 ARC.
    Name:  a-football-referee-points-after-awarding-a-decision-BH7FN1.jpg
Views: 4177
Size:  118.2 KB
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    What...that’s all you got..lol
    No, 3 page rebuttal

No fanboy here, I just don’t need to jump on every new thing brought out. Plenty of non mainstream cartridges that will smoke the 6mm arc and grendel...

Downloads
    Uploads
    When new calibers come out they can create an interesting and attractive option for shooters looking to fulfill the role that the new caliber serves, but if a shooter already has a caliber in that category it may not provide a compelling reason to switch. For example, shooters of the .260 Remington didn't understand the "hype" of the 6.5 Creed and if you were happy with your .260 there is really no reason to drop it and switch over to CM (at least, for most shooters). But if you were looking to do something different than .308 then CM might be a better choice over .260R. What I don't get is the religion some folks get over their choices. Options are good and new stuff is fun. All cartridge designs had design goals and constraints and we continue to learn. That's the nature of engineering. What I find amusing is that the past decade or so seems to be a ballistic renaissance of lessons that the Swedes and Swiss learned about a hundred years ago with the 6.5x55 and GP11, respectively.