Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I have to admit, now that I'm shooting 6mm Creedmoor the ARC is a bit more interesting for the AR platform. Still not a fan of the 7.62x39/6.5 Grendel bolt face, though, and I really don't have a use for it, but it is interesting.

I'm sticking with Berger for the Creed, 105 VLD Target and 108 Boat Tail Target. If you shoot VLD, they can be happy with a crazy amount of jump
    I've heard people say that way back when that their bolts would crack or whatever, but I think that was part of the growing pains that started with the Grendel and stuck around via gunlore. Who knows, it might be true but I've never seen anyone have a problem. I certainly don't run high pressure max loads in anything.

I have been contemplating building a gun that will get me to 1K+ for a really long time. I was saving up to get nicer stuff and at one point I had a large frame reciever set in my cart but ultimately I decided to hold off. Then along came this 6 ARC and it checked more than one box so I jumped on it, plus it was really low hanging fruit so to speak cost wise. At the time I had nothing to plug the hole in between 600 and 1K.

Anyway now I absolutely love it. I am learning a ton about it's nuances in the process. I would definitely love to try other bullets too. I will eventually if things ever get back in stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am not quite sure of your question. I have experimented with two bullets but that is mainly because of availability. The first ones I tried were 112 grain Barnes but I had mixed results accuracy wise.

Later on I found some 108 grain Hornady projectiles and I shot a quarter MOA group on the first day of testing. It seems like those bullets have been more available so I bought 500 of them.
    I think he's asking if the 108s are these: https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...r-eld-match#!/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I think he's asking if the 108s are these: https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...r-eld-match#!/
    Yes. That's what I've been shooting lately.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not quite sure of your question. I have experimented with two bullets but that is mainly because of availability. The first ones I tried were 112 grain Barnes but I had mixed results accuracy wise.

Later on I found some 108 grain Hornady projectiles and I shot a quarter MOA group on the first day of testing. It seems like those bullets have been more available so I bought 500 of them. I am keen to try some Berger 109's and a few from Sierra but they are all vaporware.

I did shoot some 105's in factory ammo a while back. I bought it to harvest the brass before I was able to get some Starline.
    I was wondering if the 108gr bullets you used were ELDs or the regular BTHPs. I haven’t seen anything but 105s locally

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I was wondering if the 108gr bullets you used were ELDs or the regular BTHPs. I haven’t seen anything but 105s locally
    I saw a single box on the shelf at my local Academy Sporting Goods store and bought it on a whim to test out. Later on I bought more online. The availability online is getting better, at least for those bullets. Other things are still not to be found.

https://driftersgear.com/products/hr...43-108gr-100ct

Downloads
    Uploads
    To have a legit 1,000 yard gun in a standard AR size platform, like the Valkyrie, is very interesting. Obviously I haven't shot the 6ARC but my first impressions are basically 'where do I sign up?'. My only real question about the whole thing now is pretty much all around magazines and (for me) brass. What is the price and availability, and selection looking like?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by additiondakku01 View Post
    What is the price and availability, and selection looking like?
    6.5 Grendel mags should work. I've had good results with the steel E-Lander mags.

Hornady is the only source for brass. Black Hills announced at SHOT that they will be selling ammo.

Other options include resizing and trimming 6.5 Grendel. 22 or 6mm PPC can also be formed to work. If you want to spend way too much time you can also form brass out of 7.62x39.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 6 ARC was born in the middle of a long term shortage so a lot of companies have not fully adopted it yet.

As for brass I bought like 1K Starline 6.5 Grendel brass. Converting it is not hard at all. Anneal, resize, then trim. I have had a lot better luck with my converted brass vs Hornady factory brass.

I'm fully confident that more and more companies will start supporting the 6ARC. Brass is about the only thing that isn't already fully vetted for a long time in the Grendel world.

I have to look at the mags I got. I found some that work great so I bought 20-30 of them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Isn't Geissele coming out with a 6 ARC mag?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Peterson Brass is about to release 6 ARC brass sometime in Q2 of this year...That's interesting for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Peterson Brass is about to release 6 ARC brass sometime in Q2 of this year...That's interesting for sure.

Hopefully this will stay on schedule.

I talked to Starline recently. No announced plans for 6 ARC there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Hopefully this will stay on schedule.

I talked to Starline recently. No announced plans for 6 ARC there.

Well, I just found out that Peterson pushed it from Q2 to the 2nd half of 23.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still watching. This seems more like a reloader's round than something that will ever be plentiful enough to even shoot briefly on trips to the back 40. Held off on .224 and it faded away. I wish there was something better than SAAMI at predicting what will stick around in mainstream shooting vs. what will go into the fad round bin in a few years.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Still watching. This seems more like a reloader's round than something that will ever be plentiful enough to even shoot briefly on trips to the back 40. Held off on .224 and it faded away. I wish there was something better than SAAMI at predicting what will stick around in mainstream shooting vs. what will go into the fad round bin in a few years.
    I never touched the .224 Valkarie. I saw through it before they ever got started. The whole claim to fame 'enhanced performance' that it supposedly offered was based around a single bullet from a single manufacturer... so no.

On the other hand every single individual component of the 6 ARC has had years, if not decades of in the field use and testing. The 6 ARC is here to stay.

As far as what manufacturers do--- hell, they can't even make primers so no telling what they will or won't wind up doing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's what has been keeping me from getting started with 6 ARC; the lack of support as far as ammunition from the factory other than the just one and two and lack of brass.

I am not going to convert brass to to 6 ARC for the same reasons I don't convert to 300 BO, because I hate brass prep already and extra steps to convert is a hard pass. Plus the only reason we are getting Blackhills onboard because of the recent adoption of the Geissele 6 ARC rifles that the Seals just got delivered.

So far I've got 600 rounds of it in 200 round cases from Hornady. When I start seeing support in the numbers that I will like, I may jump in. Whether or not 6 will be here to stay depends on the availability of things along with the reliability of magazines in a capacity of 20 or 25 even, which is a fact that some will have no other choice but to accept as an answer in these circles.