Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I am taking the plunge. Baby steps for now. Ordered a Duramag 6.5G 20 and an E-Lander 6 ARC 24 to figure out which is better for my needs, most likely going with a Faxon carbine gas 12.5 if I cannot find a decent mid length 12.5 6 ARC barrel when the funds become available. I am thinking of going with a JP bolt kit in 6.5G because the BCG I'd like to get for is a SOLGW but is a hundred more and I already have a spare bolt carrier.

I probably should try to score some cases of Hornady Black to stash, use some, and farm brass with. This won't be a high or medium volume rifle, just a spare upper option for my SBR 11.5 in 5.56. This will be done as a mini recce companion upper should the need for a small and handier rifle with more range is needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    Well, I am taking the plunge. Baby steps for now. Ordered a Duramag 6.5G 20 and an E-Lander 6 ARC 24 to figure out which is better for my needs, most likely going with a Faxon carbine gas 12.5 if I cannot find a decent mid length 12.5 6 ARC barrel when the funds become available. I am thinking of going with a JP bolt kit in 6.5G because the BCG I'd like to get for is a SOLGW but is a hundred more and I already have a spare bolt carrier.

I probably should try to score some cases of Hornady Black to stash, use some, and farm brass with. This won't be a high or medium volume rifle, just a spare upper option for my SBR 11.5 in 5.56. This will be done as a mini recce companion upper should the need for a small and handier rifle with more range is needed.
    I am using Rubber City Armory 6.5 Grendel bolts. I bought a few of them so I had spares just in case.

https://rubbercityarmory.com/product...ete-bolt-only/

As far as brass goes, if you are a reloader go with Starline. I bought a bunch of new 6.5 Grendel cases that have to be reformed first, but they are doing really good. Now they offer factory 6 ARC brass.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am using Rubber City Armory 6.5 Grendel bolts. I bought a few of them so I had spares just in case.

https://rubbercityarmory.com/product...ete-bolt-only/

As far as brass goes, if you are a reloader go with Starline. I bought a bunch of new 6.5 Grendel cases that have to be reformed first, but they are doing really good. Now they offer factory 6 ARC brass.
    **DO NOT USE WITH TYPE I BARRELS AS EXCESSIVE HEAD SPACE WILL OCCUR.**

^^ that has me concerned. I was reading in the 6mmARC forum to stick with Type 1 bolts. I have no idea what these barrel company chambers are.

Downloads
    Uploads

^^ that has me concerned. I was reading in the 6mmARC forum to stick with Type 1 bolts. I have no idea what these barrel company chambers are.
    Why not get a Faxon bolt to go with your Faxon barrel?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

"A Type I bolt, also known as the 7.62×39 bolt, has a bolt face depth of . 125” and is used with some Grendel variants. The Type II bolt is the bolt originally designed for the 6.5 Grendel and has a bolt face depth of . 136”."

--

"The real difference between the two is head space. The Grendel I which to my knowledge is no longer made by MOST was designed to work with the bolt face depth used with the 7.62x39. The Grendel II which is the standard SAAMI is set up to use a bolt face that is deeper and supports the case head better."

--

I guess somewhere along the line of development for the 6.5 Grendel they experimented with using AK brass. With 6 ARC though--there is literally no one that has ever manufactured a Type I barrel for the 6ARC as all that was worked out by the Grendel people years ago.

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...e-Grendel-bolt
    Last edited by alamo5000; 16 October 2023 at 06:57.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now you have a lot larger supply of barrels *and none of them are Type I*. The factory Hornady brass/ammo uses 'Type II' as the standard, as does all factory 6.5 Grendel ammo and brass.

Type I has literally never existed in 6 ARC. All of that stuff from Type I vs II is a throwback to the development of the 6.5 Grendel.

If you want to be special you can probably custom make a Type I 6 ARC barrel... but nothing off the shelf is like that. Anything using 'Type I' would not be SAAMI spec. It would fall into the 'custom' or 'wildcat' arena.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 16 October 2023 at 07:17.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Further info from an old thread on a different forum.

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...pe-1-or-Type-2

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was reading in the 6mmARC forum to stick with Type 1 bolts.
    Whoever made that statement is not correct. At all. Type I still exists in some 6.5 Grendel circles, but Type II is the spec for the Grendel and ARC both.

I have no idea what these barrel company chambers are.
    Literally no one makes a Type I 6 ARC barrel. The exception is unless someone went out of their way to custom make a barrel with those parameters. Hence 100% of all standard 6 ARC barrels are using 'Type II' bolts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a new cartridge called the 6mm Max. It is based on the 350 Legend and its rebated rim. Being a smaller rim it uses a standard AR bolt. On paper this should be a superior cartridge since it doesn't rely on a bolt with weaker locking lugs.

https://bcprecisionballistics.com/about-the-rounds/

SOLGW will be offering rifles and barrels. I think official release is slated for November.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Here's a new cartridge called the 6mm Max. It is based on the 350 Legend and its rebated rim. Being a smaller rim it uses a standard AR bolt. On paper this should be a superior cartridge since it doesn't rely on a bolt with weaker locking lugs.
    "Superior" at what?

At first glance it will go the way of the 224 Valkyrie.

Also the 'Grendel issue' with the 'bolts breaking' was solved a really long time ago. Today 'bolt breakage' is largely folklore, especially when talking about modern enhanced bolts from decent manufacturers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Superior" at what?

At first glance it will go the way of the 224 Valkyrie.

Also the 'Grendel issue' with the 'bolts breaking' was solved a really long time ago. Today 'bolt breakage' is largely folklore, especially when talking about modern enhanced bolts from decent manufacturers.
    Don't take it personally I'm just wanting to let @TheRifleman know there may be another option if he wants a 6mm AR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Don't take it personally I'm just wanting to let @TheRifleman know there may be another option if he wants a 6mm AR.

No offense taken or intended. I am not taking it personally at all. It was actually a serious question. As in superior in what way?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No offense taken or intended. I am not taking it personally at all. It was actually a serious question. As in superior in what way?
    See the videos linked above. Specifically the one where Mike Russo mentions reliability and extractor longevity.

I like the ARC but I'm also not married to it. If something better does come along I'll go that route.