Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

ATF planning to ban certain braces? Rep. Matt Gaetz responds

https://gaetz.house.gov/media/hottak...rm-brace-usage

“Congressman Matt Gaetz announced today on his podcast the ATF is crafting secret rules restricting the possession of certain pistol braces by American citizens, and that he has sent them a letter demanding they stop.”

"We understand that ATF is currently considering restricting one arm brace model owned by over 700,000 Americans," Congressman Gaetz writes along with six other members of Congress. "We strongly urge ATF to cease taking any actions and reconsider or rescind any secret determinations which call into question the legality of firearms owned by millions of law-abiding Americans."

“There is always a need to vindicate our Second Amendment rights,” Gaetz says on his podcast, "Hot Takes with Matt Gaetz."

He explains that even during very conservative administrations, like President Trump’s, some do “try to make it more difficult to acquire things that shooters need and gun owners need, for safety and for the unique circumstances that an individual may have.”

The congressman emphasizes that Americans must remain proactive in defense of their Second Amendment Rights.

Test case to see if one brace will pass the ban then the rest will fall also. And people said the bumpstock ban wasn’t a slippery slope.

If we are getting turned into felons...might as well use a stock instead of a brace... “allegedly”

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not a brace guy but it certainly has it's place. Until they get rid of those stupid laws about crossing state lines--even from legal state to legal state--they have their place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After some chit chat with some people online, the guess is they're referring to the KAK Shockwave.

Other braces have straps, and are actually designed to help one handed shooting. The Shockwave does no such thing, and maybe that's why Magpul hasn't released their's yet, or it was never approved.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is gonna be a big problem here....

Name:  1024AD89-C399-4DF7-BF14-647C1C07C2C5.jpeg
Views: 333
Size:  635.5 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This is gonna be a big problem here....
    I think this is one of the big things that will backfire in a big way. I'm fairly confident that the gun community won't comply and won't just sit by and do nothing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I might go boating this weekend.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Registering braced pistol if built prior, sans stamp? What’s that mean? Free SBR?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Registering braced pistol if built prior, sans stamp? What’s that mean? Free SBR?
    I think it means a "free stamp" to REGISTER the firearm as a pistol. Another scheme to gather names.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    lot of first time buyers in NJ are going to get screwed too. that whole class of firearms that don't have an actual classification (in NJ they call them "non-nfa" or "others") have caught on. for a long time, that's one of the few firearms that stores around here could get in stock. I know of plenty of first time buyers that bought one as their first AR. Now I assume their only option is to remove the brace entirely or put a 16" barrel on it and follow the AWB rules.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    I think it means a "free stamp" to REGISTER the firearm as a pistol. Another scheme to gather names.
    I wouldn't put it past them. That said, the ATF letter stated that they would implement a separate process by which possessors of brace equipped firearms can register them to be compliant with the NFA. And if compliance with the NFA is what they're after, i would think they'd have to register it as a weapon regulated by the NFA. Since pistols (even if equipped with a brace) with rifled bores don't meet the definition of an AOW, their only other choice would be to register them as SBRs. Since the braces i own were purchased as placeholders for eventual stocks and registration as SBRs, and the ATF already has my name from previous NFA purchases, i'll gladly accept their generous offer of free stamps for what would have cost me a couple grand to register.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    ...and there lies the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I doubt this is a free stamp for an SBR. My guess is they will eventually allow free stamps for AR pistols and claim AR/AK or any other firearm that uses a brace as a separate NFA Pistol classification.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m thinking there “classification of pistol” as they said in the letter. Weight,calibers, length . Lpvo and all that will be a really limited configuration of just a few

That will get “classified” as pistols
    I’m guessing..

It’s fucked all around

Sitting here on most parts for a shorty 308..now this 🙃

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    ...and there lies the problem.
    And what is that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Be sure to offer a respectful, succinct and clearly worded comment regarding the ATF letter:

https://beta.regulations.gov/documen...2020-0001-0001