Downloads
    Uploads

sling mounting points?

where do you attach your sling? do you attach it to different points based on the length of the rifle? currently I have one sling that I attach to the end plate with a QD and to a keymod attachment right where the rail starts (14.5" rifle).

I have a quad rail that has built in points half way down the rail. thinking of trying that way next.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been through all this and might have a thread about it somewhere here. What I ultimately settled on is having a QD point on the opposite side of my stock and then one on my hand guard near the barrel nut end. After a lot of trial and error this works great for me.

The QD swivel on the off side of the stock allows the sling to drop free so that I don't have sling in between my shoulder and the stock and the other mounting point allows me the most flexibility to adjust or reconfigure my sling on the go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't understand how people manipulate the gun with the QD at the castle nut. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of people who can do it, I just always ended up having my sling getting in the way of manipulation there. I eventually ended up putting the attachment point on the strong side of the stock, like Alamo said.

The forward position is a personal life decision. You will get more weapon control with it all the way forward, but reduced ability to maneuver the rifle without loosening the sling (or just putting it around your neck). You can get better maneuverability with it at the back, but the sling isn't really doing anything for you for stability, if that matters. Depending on body type and length of the rail, putting it in the "middle" of the rail may interfere with support hand position (or it may not).

My personal setup depends on the rail. If it's <= 10", I usually have the connection a couple of sections forward of the barrel nut. If it's > 10", then I like to have two QD spots (or the equivalent). I normally run the gun with the attachment on the rear point, but if I need to make a longer shot with out support, I'll move the sling to the forward attachment point and use the sling as a stabilizer through tension.

For range toys, then I don't really care, and I just have one attachment point at the rear-ish.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine are setup like this: