Downloads
    Uploads

Griffin Armament offering 9mm can upgrades.

I saw that they were offering the upgraded baffles for the Optimus suppressor but to my surprise this upgrade also covers the previous generations of 9mm pistol cans including my Revolution 9. That's definitely interesting.

I'm going to sit back and take stock to see what the performance upgrades bring on a 9mm but it still seems like a great option.

For just shy of $200 bucks and I can get new baffles in my 9mm can. What do you guys think?

If anyone runs across hard data on these upgrades please post them up here. I am curious specifically about 9mm.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/9mm-...8gVa41FDajb1Bg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it just better materials and this “new” eco blah blah..?

I just heard about it the other day via there post about it. so assuming not very many people with feedback yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just saw some information where they said in 9mm the Revolution 9 in it's full size configuratio will drop 5db at both the muzzle and the ear. In the short configuration it drops 9db at the ear and 2db at the muzzle. Looks like I am going to get some new baffles!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sent my Revolution 9 off and got new baffles. The can got back to me today so I went out (in 113 degree heat) and fired a mag of subsonics through it to satisfy my curiosity.

I actually didn't believe it the first time so I came back and grabbed a couple more mags and tried it again. 45 rounds total for an initial impression before I had to head out for the rest of the day...

Long story short---HOLY CRAP! It was very quiet before, but now it's even MORE quiet. Like completely stupid quiet in a big way at least to me. Definitely a big upgrade.

I've had my Revolution 9 since mid 2016 so I am fairly used to the performance, but this... damn. If I recall on facebook or somewhere I think they said a 5+ DB reduction from the previous baffle design at both the muzzle and the ear... after today I believe it 100%. It was very noticeable in a good way. Also the back pressure is significantly reduced. I fired it for the first time and went 'holy s**t!'. I will be running it a lot more in the coming days/weeks to get a better feel for it. I will report anything else I find that is significant.

I definitely like it (based on first impressions) for a number of reasons not just limited to a substantial sound reduction from an already quiet can. It was absolutely money well spent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can tell 5db difference...you have some stellar hearing....

So stainless baffles?
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 16 August 2020 at 08:32.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo probably has all these charts memorized. So when he says 5db, he means it!

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know the exact numbers other than what was floated online. Supposedly they are going to release updated metering tests soon, but that's just part of it for me. Metering can be messed with so it's not a end all for me. Ammo can be different from different places, metering machines can be different etc. Definitely not an exact science...but the way they started doing it seems like the best route. Basically they use the same ammo (every time even across different tests) on the same firearm with apparently the latest machines to measure and they all do it in a controlled environment and compare head to head various suppressors. Basically it removes a ton of variables so it's 'more' apples to apples.

I don't know the exact number of DB reduction but it is a noticeable difference. Also if you've ever had splash in your face when shooting a pistol can... the original that I had wasn't bad at all, but you can definitely tell a big difference. The way they vented the baffles is definitely different.

And yes the baffles are still stainless steel. One of the upgrades has nothing to do with sound, but rather how the baffles are keyed together. The old way at times was a pain in the ass to get apart because the baffles would stick together because of the old keying method. At least with a couple of my old ones you almost had to snap them together (not really but close) which meant those two baffles I had to use a pick around the rim of it sometimes because of the fitment. Any carbon would make it harder. It wasn't terrible but not optimal. The new way they have the baffles keyed is definitely nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    You can tell 5db difference...you have some stellar hearing....

So stainless baffles?
    On my suppressor (before the upgrade) moving from the full size configuration to the K configuration has a total average dB difference in the mid single digits using the exact same box of ammo in the testing.

So basically the difference now is about the same as going from a K configuration to the full size.

That's roughly in the ball park of the kind of sound difference the upgrade made, only it was full size to full size. Given of course it's subjective but you can definitely tell a difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good feedback Alamo

Kinda related, It was hard To pass up the Yhm r9 launched last week finally, short 9 mm , k can size for 350..That works on 16”- 556/308/350 legend, etc...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Good feedback Alamo

Kinda related, It was hard To pass up the Yhm r9 launched last week finally, short 9 mm , k can size for 350..That works on 16”- 556/308/350 legend, etc...
    I will have to check that one out. I am not familiar with that model. YHM definitely has some very solid value propositions out there. That's for sure. You can get a lot (or a lot less) 'bang' for a few less bucks. I've never heard a single complaint about them or their cans. Usually somebody is bitching about something somewhere online regardless of which company...

I bought my pistol can and got it in my hands June 2016 so I mailed it off and a week later had the upgrades. I am very glad that I did. I am kind of glad they are doing us a solid and allowing a baffle upgrade vs having to do an entirely new wait for another can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I bought my pistol can and got it in my hands June 2016 so I mailed it off and a week later had the upgrades. I am very glad that I did. I am kind of glad they are doing us a solid and allowing a baffle upgrade vs having to do an entirely new wait for another can.
    That's good to hear. I really like GA products, but their responsiveness has been lacking from time to time. Did you send the whole can or just the baffles? I need to send my Paladin in for service so might take care of the Rev9 at the same time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just send the main tube, the baffles and an end cap. Don't send the booster or anything else. It took me about a week from the day I mailed it in to get it back. The can has to be broken down into parts to avoid any extra fees.

You also need a photo copy of your approved form 4.

I hear you about people complaining about lack of response. I've personally never experienced it but I see other people probably have without question. I personally think part of it is grounded in truth for sure but the other part is gun industry drama. One guy a few years ago put his Recce 5 on a full auto machine gun with a strap wrench and left it on there for a year under heavy use at a gun range as a rental gun. He made a YouTube video which has since been deleted bashing Griffin then people like Q piled on trying to get a foot in...

Sure. I get it. The weak part of their game is sometimes in communication or whatever and I would sometimes agree with that. On the other hand I don't particularly care for industrial drama at all. My personal experience has always been pretty good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    The weak part of their game is sometimes in communication or whatever and I would sometimes agree with that. On the other hand I don't particularly care for industrial drama at all. My personal experience has always been pretty good.
    I've personally suffered from some comms delays. They've always taken care of me but it took a few more follow-ups than it probably should have. On the last go around, I'm pretty sure their SPAM filter is blocking out my emails so I need to pick up the phone.