Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC2 or Mini?

Downloads
    Uploads

RC2 or Mini?

Considering a Surefire SOCOM 7.62 for an LMT MWS/MARS-H. Will likely run an 18" barrel (.308) and the thing will be a pig. Should I stick with the RC2 or go with the 7.62 Mini? I'm leaning towards the mini but they are OOS everywhere so I get more instant gratification if I order the RC2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the end goal for the rifle?

I'm just asking for an "in general" kind of understanding but what attracts you to those specific cans?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    What's the end goal for the rifle?

I'm just asking for an "in general" kind of understanding but what attracts you to those specific cans?
    LARPing as Kiwi designated marksman

But without the gear. And probably from a bench. Any maybe from rooftops during periods of civil unrest. IDK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol...

I’d say in this environment..get whatever one you can...

Not sure how much your giving up with the K can really..
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 29 July 2020 at 10:03.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    LARPing as Kiwi designated marksman

But without the gear. And probably from a bench. Any maybe from rooftops during periods of civil unrest. IDK.
    I think he meant Surefire in general...

Are you trying to stick with a specific look, etc?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I think he meant Surefire in general...

Are you trying to stick with a specific look, etc?

Yes, I'm generally building my MARS-H to match the New Zealand rifles which have a Surefire MD on them. I know NZ bought Surefire cans to go with their MARS-L, but I'm not sure if they have the Surefire cans for the 7.62 DMR. I suspect so, but can't find any documentation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a RC and a Mini. The RC2 will definitely be heavier (and of course longer), but it is noticeably quieter, especially on my 16" gun. I end up running the Mini on my SR-25 since it's already 20". I've put the RC on my 20" bolt gun just because it's already "quiet" without the gas system, so I might as well take advantage of the longer can. The Mini currently lives on my 300BO bedroom gun and it feels just like a 5.56 RC.

Not sure any of that helps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I have a RC and a Mini. The RC2 will definitely be heavier (and of course longer), but it is noticeably quieter, especially on my 16" gun. I end up running the Mini on my SR-25 since it's already 20". I've put the RC on my 20" bolt gun just because it's already "quiet" without the gas system, so I might as well take advantage of the longer can. The Mini currently lives on my 300BO bedroom gun and it feels just like a 5.56 RC.

Not sure any of that helps.
    So I should get both. :)

edit: I didn't appreciate that the 7.62 Mini is pretty much the same as the 5.56 RC2. So the 7.62 RC adds 2.2 in and 2.5 ounces. Given this is going on fairly heavy rifle with probably an 18" barrel, I think I'll go ahead and order the 7.62 RC2. That would be about the same as your 20" with the Mini and I shoot on private property so the extra noise reduction does help me be a good neighbor.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 30 July 2020 at 09:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plus you can get it "now!"*

* (Plus or minus a year)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should definitely get both.

For me, I use cans to take the edge off, so Mini's and K's for me all day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You should definitely get both.

For me, I use cans to take the edge off, so Mini's and K's for me all day.
    Serious question. For a guy with a full size 762 can and deciding next between a full size 556 or K can, which one would you recommend?

I like the idea of shortness/compact and the other side, max suppression at only a penalty of 1” Longer and 2 oz heavier

Various length 556 hosts 10.5”, future 11.5 or 12.5” and couple 16”ers..

Thanks
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 31 July 2020 at 04:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're planning to run it (and I mean actually run it, not think about running it) on a 16" gun, I'd go with a K can. The reality of shooting a full size 5.56 can on a 16", for me, just becomes an annoyance, unless it's a RECCE type setup.

But...

Just understand the K can isn't really all that quiet, especially on a short gun. And if your intended purpose of a suppressor is quiet (vs some of the other requirements), then it's kind of a waste. Mustang, I'm not saying you specifically rate quietness as the top priority, just using that as an example.

One other side note that may or may not be relevant... I find for rifles that have brakes on them specifically for the muzzle flip reduction, I'm pretty much never running them suppressed unless it's at night (which is super-rare), or again, if it's in a RECCE configuration. The extra weight isn't worth the reduction in flat shooting, to me, when that's the priority for that day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. I hear what your saying.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah mini cans are more concussion reducers than anything, especially on short barrels. My buddies Socom mini 2 is a flame thrower even in daylight on his mk18 upper, I also doubt it’s even close to hearing safe as it’s still loud AF. Mini/k cans only shine on 16”+ barrels.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cans for sound suppression pretty much suck on any 5.56. The benefits are flash and concussion reduction for indoors shooting sports. And they make your rifle look more cool. IMO, cans like the optimus micro are attractive mainly because of .22 cal and they can work on 5.56 as well, but are much more size appropriate for the plinkers.

My advice would be get the .22 end cap for your .30 cal can and you’re damn close to a dedicated small caliber can because you can’t take away the sonic crack, so save the money for something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!