Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help with Sling questions

I've never tried one, but I'm interested in buying a single point sling to try out. I'm not quite sure h ow they're mounted and at what point on the rifle do you attach them to? Also any brand recommendation/mount type etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Single pointers work well anywhere near the end of the receiver. The RA Kitty receiver has QD's on the rear above and behind the safety. End plates work as well. Magpul puts QD's near the front of some of their stocks (UBR to name one). You want the sling to hold the rifle up so it doesn't tangle in your legs or pound your nits. If I were you, I'd grab a MS 4 QD sling or similar because once the novelty wears off, you'll probably use two mounting points more often than not. It's good for practicing rifle to pistol tansitions, but really only shines when you aren't going to be moving around a lot. It is possible to slide it to were it tucks under your arm, but still not ideal, and sucks for running. If you're going to be in a ready position most of the time, you won't really notice it. Just my observations.

Edit to add: another reason to run the sling on a short leash is so your suppressor doesn't burn the holy hell out of your leg! The ones on the tail end of the stock, like SOPMODs will allow all but the tiniest rifles to hang too low.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a good video that goes into some details about the subject. I definitely enjoyed the video as well. Tells lots of pros and cons of each setup.

https://youtu.be/Vxi20wkgY4U

Downloads
    Uploads
    Single points are all I use, I tried a two point when I bought my first AR back in the day and just could not get used to it. Drove me nuts...
    I use Tactical links single point bungee slings, well built and well designed.
    https://www.tacticallink.com/stealth...int-sling.html

I also use their 360 degree mount which allows it to rotate a full 360. This makes a huge difference when switching from right to left or left to right as it allows the swivel( or sling mount oval) to clear the socket between your thumb and first finger knuckle. A lot of swivel mounts only go 180 degrees or less, not what you want.
    https://www.tacticallink.com/z-360-s...unt-gen-2.html

You could also go with a convertible sling that goes from single to double which will give you the best of both worlds.
    https://www.tacticallink.com/ar15-m4...gee-sling.html
    Been wanting to try one of those out myself... Here's a CC for 10% off. TENOFF

As a disclaimer I only run single points on 14.7", 12.5" and 10.5" rifles. Not sure how they will fare on 16" or longer rifles. I would probably opt for the convertible on a 16" rifle. Also with the 360 TL mount you will loose the first position on an adjustable stock, never been an issue for me as I'm usually always set at the third or fourth. Just a heads up...

Over the years I have heard guys say that they don't run single points because of smacking your self in the junk. Well in over 10+ years of running and gunnin I can say I have never done that. When I let go of the rifle, whether its to go hands free or transition to my pistol, the rifle gets pulled to my left side all in one smooth motion as I am reaching and drawing my pistol. So by the time the rifle is at my side my left hand is moving up and meets the drawn pistol just before I punch it out, hopefully that makes sense. Whats also nice about a SP sling is the ability to cut the sling loose quickly at will and to hook it back up when I need to. I have a stream crossing half way through my carbine course that I have to run and jump over, having a rifle hooked to my body when doing that could get pretty ugly without having the rifle in one hand...
    Last edited by Stone; 15 August 2020 at 22:03.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why the single point?

I don’t like how low they hang unless sinched up really tight..which I still find awkward..2 points all day for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess it depends on your application. I guess they wouldn’t sell them if people didn’t buy them. Personally a single point offers no real benefit over a 2 point sling and has too many drawbacks for all of my uses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    I guess it depends on your application. I guess they wouldn’t sell them if people didn’t buy them. Personally a single point offers no real benefit over a 2 point sling and has too many drawbacks for all of my uses.
    Check out that video I posted above. I am a 2 point guy myself but I found it very interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get one of the Magpul slings that has a QD socket to allow you to run the sling as either single point or 2-point. That way after your realize how much single point slings suck you'll still have a usable sling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good option

I think the ms4 and such is what boiler is pointing out

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    another reason to run the sling on a short leash is so your suppressor doesn't burn the holy hell out of your leg! The ones on the tail end of the stock, like SOPMODs will allow all but the tiniest rifles to hang too low.
    Truth ...

Name:  Burned Pants.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  674.5 KB
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also consider adding an IWC 2-to-1 point triglide to an existing two-point sling:

https://ferroconcepts.com/collection...point-triglide

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only use one point slings with 10.5" or shorter barrels. For the most part one points have a lot of limitations, but for range shooting and LE work, I like them. Most of my rifles have Fortis QD end plates on them, longer guns do not, as I use 2 point blue force gear Vickers slings.

Magpul MS3/MS4 slings are my favorites.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Burn your chaps Jerry? Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I for one hate the trend of these slings with the thin 1” webbing. The sliders on all of them seem to slip with even a light rifle on them. BFG Vickers padded slings are my favorites. I even use their Saw sling for my .338.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks you all for the info. I haven't done any run'n'gun in quite a while. In fact since I had all those plates and rods put in my neck a few years back, I haven't done much at all other than go to the range. Hell, I'm not even allowed to ride a roller coaster any more, much less do any serious practice that involves much more than shooting.

I've heard about the gun in the nut's problem before, but not to the extent that I've heard it here. Mostly, if SHTF here like it is in about 10 cities around the nation, I'd take more of a shelter in place defense only popping up to whack a bad guy, then slip back into the shadows. So I don't see a real problem in that respect. Hell, after the MIL I carried my rifle without a sling, more often than not.

So I'm going to buy just one, pick out the rifle that I feel the most comfortable with. I may take my good old LMT, or my Light Weight I built a couple of years ago. Attach the sling and see how it works out. Don't have a SBR, so nothing going on there. I also might measure my transition to hand gun both ways, single point and double point and see how much time is lost between the two slings. I never thought about that when thinking about a "bungie" style single point, but know it now. I think I'll just use a regular 2 point for my 6.8, and I just carry my .308, since I'm not going to be going that far enough to worry about it.

Knowing this, is there any thing else someone might want to tell me as far as a recommendation to buy or not? The money isn't really an issue, but I just don't want to throw it away on something that I might use once and round file it due to drawbacks?

Thanks again,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper