Downloads
    Uploads

Body Armor Question(s)

I was in a wide ranging conversation the other day (not all centered on guns) and somehow the topic of body armor came up as part of our (very eclectic) conversation. I pretty much pointed out that this is completely out of my wheel house, but it seems to me that he even knew less than I do (if that's possible).

Basically I said I think most body armor expires after a certain time, although I do not know why this is so. He was skeptical but neither of us could think of a good reason why (except maybe for the soft armor types) where the fabric will possibly degrade over time.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject (as to why body armor expires)?

Also does that apply to ALL types of body armor or is it just certain types (such as soft armor)? Let me know the cliff notes version if you can because I should see the guy again soon and I told him I would ask people in the know.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I was in a wide ranging conversation the other day (not all centered on guns) and somehow the topic of body armor came up as part of our (very eclectic) conversation. I pretty much pointed out that this is completely out of my wheel house, but it seems to me that he even knew less than I do (if that's possible).

Basically I said I think most body armor expires after a certain time, although I do not know why this is so. He was skeptical but neither of us could think of a good reason why (except maybe for the soft armor types) where the fabric will possibly degrade over time.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject (as to why body armor expires)?

Also does that apply to ALL types of body armor or is it just certain types (such as soft armor)? Let me know the cliff notes version if you can because I should see the guy again soon and I told him I would ask people in the know.

Thanks!
    I think the expiry dates are driven by the ceramics, adhesives (used in the lamination process) and fabrics. They generally are considered in an operational context where the plates are exposed to the real world. If they are in the back of the closet then the degradation isn't very likely.

I suspect that the bigger reason for expiry dates is the manufacturers want to limit their risk / liability. It's hard to guarantee performance of anything that has been out of your control for a decade operating in the types of environments that customers in this market experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UV light, High Heat, Moisture will degrade Plates, Soft aramid fiber armor over time. If you use it sparingly and have it stored in a cool dry place (kit bag, toughbox etc.) you're Good 2 Go. As BoilerUp stated expiration dates for the manufacturer's way of "covering their assets". I recently tested a 20 year old unused SAPI cut LEVEL III kevlar soft armor of which I have 3 sets of. It withstood the 9mm, 44, and 45 I shot it with.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."-Capt. John Parker, Lexington Militia on April 19, 1775

NRA PATRON MEMBER
    RETIRED ARMY SOF

"Fortis cadere, cedere non potest"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. That makes sense. And welcome to the forum Jumpmaster. I think you will fit in and be a great addition here. Tons of knowledgeable people here. One more is always welcome.

Pretty much most kind of fabrics will degrade over time, for sure.

The discussion we were having wasn't in any kind of LEO or military context, but rather was half in fun, but also serious at the same time, especially in light of the last six months of stuff going on. We talked current events etc... and he asked my view on various guns and whatever...but I threw out there that actually knowing how to fight is not the same thing as knowing how to shoot... big difference.

Then we ended up talking about basically the best kind of kit to have in a crazy situation (guns were a given of course) but other than that his #1 was body armor and mine was night vision/thermal. You can pretty much F somebody up pretty bad in the dark if they can't see you but you can see them.

Anyway if I make some decent money I might invest in both just because I could do it but the other guy sounded to me like he actually was pretty much already shopping for armor. LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Thanks guys. That makes sense. And welcome to the forum Jumpmaster. I think you will fit in and be a great addition here. Tons of knowledgeable people here.
    Um, technically he's been here longer than you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Um, technically he's been here longer than you.
    I didn't even see that... doh! I saw the new member tag and that was it. Anyway he gave a perfect response which was awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the current political climate, body armor is a must. 2 routes basically. Low profile body armor worn under clothes and the SHTF vests and plate carriers. Both are needed depending on the threat. Honestly, I think that if the left wing wins in November, things will get hot real quick. Antif and BLM terrorists will be emboldened and the left will move to abolish the 2A. Get your protective gear asap. Take care and watch your six!
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."-Capt. John Parker, Lexington Militia on April 19, 1775

NRA PATRON MEMBER
    RETIRED ARMY SOF

"Fortis cadere, cedere non potest"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmaster View Post
    With the current political climate, body armor is a must. 2 routes basically. Low profile body armor worn under clothes and the SHTF vests and plate carriers. Both are needed depending on the threat. Honestly, I think that if the left wing wins in November, things will get hot real quick. Antif and BLM terrorists will be emboldened and the left will move to abolish the 2A. Get your protective gear asap. Take care and watch your six!
    I have no experience with either NV or body armor. I would like to have both for sure but let's just say the good stuff is out of my current price range (for NV). Getting body armor is a much more attainable thing. That said all things considered including where I live at (rural Texas) odds are people aren't going to start a bunch of shit around here nearly as much as they will in bigger cities. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "Beware: I have guns and a back hoe". That kind of sums up the sentiment when it comes to that stuff around here. Honestly (for me) body armor would be nice to have but wouldn't get much use most of the time other than knowing I have it 'just in case'.

Night vision on the other hand (even the cheaper digital stuff) would get a substantial amount of use around here though. I need to learn a lot more about it though before I dive it. My money tree hasn't born fruit in a while so I have to be kind of frugal(ish) or save up a little bit longer to get the nicer stuff.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 20 August 2020 at 21:20.