Downloads
    Uploads

Support Bags and shooting mat recommendations...

I am possibly looking for a support bag for the front and rear of my rifle and a shooting mat. I have seen some other products from Cole Tac and I am leaning towards them to some degree but I am open to anything that fits my needs. I would like to get input from anyone who might use them or even another product of equal quality.

I have never used any of these types of products but I will share what I envision in my mind.

-- The mat-- Basically I don't always have a nice grassy spot to lay on. Sometimes I have to lay in the dirt or sand or mud to shoot. Not really a big deal but sometimes I just don't feel like getting dirty. That's the primary objective for sure but if there is any other benefits please let me know.

I see Cole Tac has padded and non padded mats as well as one with wings and without wings. If you've tried either/or please let me know your opinion about those features. I don't have a clue what the wings would be for really.

--The bags-- Again, Cole Tac has a bunch. Usually for this type of shooting I've been using a bipod but I am open to using a bag for support of the front of the rifle, if there are any advantages to that (let me know). Again, that is prone (using the bipod) but lately I've been trying to shoot from weird positions and obstacles as well. I know some bags are meant to say throw over a fence, railing, or a tree branch to allow for better support. There are a number of options but I would like to hear input before I start buying stuff so I can really assess how much I would actually use the stuff before buying it. My knowledge level is about a 1 out of 10 on those kinds of things.

The rear bag is something that I definitely want. I might buy one of those first but I am not really sure of my options. Let me know what you think are some good options.

In the big picture I finally upgraded my optic on my .22 rifle so I am going to be doing a lot more stuff with that which may include learning about PRS or some other types of competitions and maybe set up mini 'stages' in my yard or whatever. I have about 8 or 10 new pieces of steel that should show up in a few days ranging from two inches to 6 inches and at the longest spot I have out to about 300 yards that I can shoot so that could be somewhat interesting and fun.

I am not really a super competition type guy but I figured I could experiment and learn a lot while also shooting for cheap.

Hopefully I can learn a bit in the whole process. The rear bag and also getting out of the dirt and mud is my current priority but I am obviously interested in other aspects too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Midway stuff is hard to beat for the price. Both the mats and the support bags.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    The Midway stuff is hard to beat for the price. Both the mats and the support bags.
    I will check them out for sure. Thanks. I am definitely out of my wheelhouse here, but that's the point (to learn and try new stuff).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with BoilerUp. The Midway stuff is very good quality and priced much better than others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still have the same Midway mat I bought 10 years ago. It's survived range use as well as SoCal desert use (sharp rocks and random cacti needles).

For a rear bag, I like the Triad Tactical triangular bag. But bags really are subjective, so you might have to buy more than one over time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a midway mat. Thickest one they sold at the time. I don’t need to haul it in a pack so it has been outstanding for a range mat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also recommend Midway. Watch for sales if you have time. I paid less than half of retail for mine. Abused for a decade and still flawless. For bags I fill a 12” section of a woven rifle sock with Airsoft pellets and tie shut. Get 2-3 years out of them. They work as a rear squeeze bag or a front rest very well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Also recommend Midway. Watch for sales if you have time. I paid less than half of retail for mine. Abused for a decade and still flawless. For bags I fill a 12” section of a woven rifle sock with Airsoft pellets and tie shut. Get 2-3 years out of them. They work as a rear squeeze bag or a front rest very well.
    Agree, they run sales all the time, so if you're not in a hurry you can get 20+% off and free shipping. Note the rear bag I use is the cylinder bag from Midway that is similar to ColeTac's "Woobie". Of course, you'll also hear that kitty litter inside a tube sock will get you the same results.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you guys!

I definitely appreciate the input. I think a shooting mat is first on the list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The bag game is interesting

I haven’t found one “one size fits all” bag yet just due to the variety of situations

I’ve got three bags; a cylindrical shaped one that can be stood upright or laid flat, a Gamechanger type bag, and one larger one for placing under an elbow/stock if shooting off a sloped roof or something like that

There are just so many different possibilities for shooting scenarios it’s hard to recommend just one

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a Midway mat as suggested above. As for the bag I bought one from Midway as well. It's a cylinder type. Hopefully that gives me a bit of a reference point re: bags. I was going to buy the large cylinder one as well but it was out of stock.

My UPS package was delivered today but I haven't been home yet to see my stuff.