Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    806
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Hard Use Carbine

    I have been spending my time doing other stuff rather the building guns and shooting the past couple of months pretty much because I haven't wanted to shoot up my ammo and have been interested in other hobbies since covid (took up motorcycling again!). Well I have a few spare lowers laying around and a few hundred bucks to start building a rifle (but not yet enough to finish).

    I am somewhat limited on what to build right now just due to supply but here is my current plan. Not looking to build a $2000 high end rifle. Really looking for just tough parts that can take abuse. I treat all my rifles to easy . I want one that I can tie to the back of my car and drive down the road, toss in a ditch, and shoot with a .22 and still be a functionally accurate shooter.

    I have an extra Spikes Don't Tread on Me lower. I found a Grey Ghost upper at my local store (don't know how I found that). Barrels were hard to come by, especially because I have not been terribly excited by my other BA barrel on one of my SBRs and don't want to go BA. I (somewhat) lucked out and found a Rosco Bloodline 16" barrel which is carbine length gas. Would have preferred a middy, but I know that running a carbine gas system it should eat whatever Soviet steel case ammo I can find if pickings are slim. I also found a Midwest Industries Combat M-lok rail at 12.5". I really wanted to run a 15" but couldn't find the 15" in stock at I love the MI Weapon Evolution discount so I got it rather inexpensive as well.

    Still need to source a BCG, CH, Trigger, and small parts, but I think it will come together. I was also going to run a Magpul UBR 2.0 because I always wanted to try one and you can't get a tougher stock than that. Probably an EOTech on top. Once its all put together I think I will drown the damn thing in some OD Green Duracoat and call it a day.

    Exhausted the budget for now but should be able to get this thing running by Christmas. Always welcome suggestions to get this thing together. Haven't decided on my trigger and stuff yet, but pickings are slim!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mn.
    Posts
    1,783
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    For hard use I would put the money where it needs it. BCG, bolt and barrel. Here is my suggestion:

    Triarc barrel
    LWRC one piece bolt carrier
    JP enterprises bolt
    Geisele trigger

    You could also try Cryptic coatings Mystic black BCG... Dont forget that black friday is coming up and deals will be out there.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    806
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    For hard use I would put the money where it needs it. BCG, bolt and barrel. Here is my suggestion:

    Triarc barrel
    LWRC one piece bolt carrier
    JP enterprises bolt
    Geisele trigger

    You could also try Cryptic coatings Mystic black BCG... Dont forget that black friday is coming up and deals will be out there.
    When I said hard use I really just meant, tough enough to throw around and not worry about but still be a decent shooter. I looked at Triarc barrels and they have nothing in stock at the moment. I have used Rosco barrels in the past and I was impressed with the quality per $ spent. I had this exact barrel in a Middy and it exceeded my expectations. If I can get a Cryptic coatings BCG that is what I am going to do...they always have Black Friday sales. Geisele does too so I should have a few hundred $ saved back up by that time so hopefully I can get in on the BF action.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,941
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    When I said hard use I really just meant, tough enough to throw around and not worry about but still be a decent shooter. I looked at Triarc barrels and they have nothing in stock at the moment. I have used Rosco barrels in the past and I was impressed with the quality per $ spent. I had this exact barrel in a Middy and it exceeded my expectations. If I can get a Cryptic coatings BCG that is what I am going to do...they always have Black Friday sales. Geisele does too so I should have a few hundred $ saved back up by that time so hopefully I can get in on the BF action.
    Sounds more like "truck gun".

    When I think "hard use", I think tough enough for combat/military applications which is generally going to require spending a bit extra where it counts. I'd add rail/handguard to Stone's list as that's a potential failure point for a gun that you are using hard. There is a reason the RIS was king of the hill for so long. I'd put the LMT m

    Either way, I think I'm coming around to just sticking with BCM for BCGs from now on.

    And, yeah, Geissle for the trigger.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    15,197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I agree... sounds like just a mish mash of parts, truck gun is what this is going to be. Nothing wrong with that, spend the cash on the heart of the gun like it's been mentioned... BCG, barrel, ect.

    If it was me, I'd probably just scrap what you had and just buy a factory BCM upper and throw it on a lower of your choice.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,782
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Sounds like your itching to build something new.

    Best advice is to think truly how your gonna use it.

    A “truck gun” for me is not gonna have a 16” carbine barrel on it.. Shorter makes sense if it’s gonna go everywhere

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,798
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rainier Select barrel
    Ballistic Advantage Hanson series
    A BCG from a well known brand: DD, Rainier, BCM, etc
    Larue’s MBT (meticulously built trigger) is a huge value for what you get. ALG ACT is also budget friendly but very solid. Can go wild and get a Geissele or one of CMC’s new combat curved triggers
    Geissele Airborne Charging handle has been my go to lately


    Or like UWone said, find a BCM (or LMT) upper, fixed front sight post and drop in a KAC quad or a Centurion C4

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,104
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    There was a thread long ago with the name "hard use carbine" or something like that I think ... Stickman maybe? IIRC it was basically a Noveske Afghan 12.5". Try searching around. I don't remember a final conclusion but they were putting a lot of rounds through it and passing it around like a well-used hooker

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    806
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Sounds more like "truck gun".

    When I think "hard use", I think tough enough for combat/military applications which is generally going to require spending a bit extra where it counts. I'd add rail/handguard to Stone's list as that's a potential failure point for a gun that you are using hard. There is a reason the RIS was king of the hill for so long. I'd put the LMT m

    Either way, I think I'm coming around to just sticking with BCM for BCGs from now on.

    And, yeah, Geissle for the trigger.
    That is more of what I am building. We will say truck gun.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    806
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Sounds like your itching to build something new.

    Best advice is to think truly how your gonna use it.

    A “truck gun” for me is not gonna have a 16” carbine barrel on it.. Shorter makes sense if it’s gonna go everywhere
    I have that already. Its a 11.5" SBR with Criterion barrel and everything else on the Upper is MI. Its going to be a knock around gun that will take a beating, I don't have to stamp, and don't want to brace. It won't be my "go to" but it will be a back up to my back up or force multiplier if SHTF.

    I am trying to keep the budget reasonable on this one so I am trying to put the money where it counts but using high quality but reasonably priced parts. These are the reasons for the Rosco barrel and MI rail. High quality at a reasonable price. For the same reason I will probably grab a Larue trigger. Not as good as the G, but for the cost it is awesome. If I can find a CMC trigger at a good price I will jump on that too. CMC seems to actually be one of my favorites just for ease of installation and bang for buck.
    Last edited by rxer311; 28 October 2020 at 15:24.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,782
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Budget and hard use in the same sentence....

    Lol..this forum has taught me and changed my view over the years...quality or quantity..
    That’s coming from a poor bastard, so if you got deep pockets, it’s not the same.

    I’d save your money and plop down on a nice upper from bcm or Geissele come Black Friday

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    806
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Saw the Rainier Arms Select barrels back in stock today so I ordered one of those and already am sending the Rosco barrel back. I had one of the older Rainier Select barrels and it was a really nice barrel. I am hoping these new ones are just as good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •