Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fixed Iron Sights on SBR

Debating on switching things up and just running fixed iron sights on my SBR which is my primary HD carbine. My eyesight just continues to deteriorate with my astigmatism and red dots just continue to bloom more and more. My current setup is a Trijicon MRO with Magpul back up sights. Honestly the reticle on the MRO is just a hot mess which really blooms into a "constellation" of stars which is bigger than the intended 2 MOA dot.

I tried the Chinesium stuff in the past (PA Cyclops and Vortex Spitfire 1x), and while they are functional, my brain won't let me keep an optic on my primary HD carbine which is made in China. I understand that failure of this type of optic in a HD scenario is unlikely, but...brain block.

Do I just get over myself and use the Spitfire 1x and rid myself of Micro Dots for good (just sold my Browe which was also Chinesium LOL)?

Or do I give a nice set of good ole irons a shot? I was thinking Troy, DD, or Scalarworks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look at holographic sights like the EOtechs or the Vortex UH-1.

Those are laser vs. LED. They stay nice and crisp, even with an astigmatism.

I’ve got a slight astigmatism in my right eye. It tends to make itself known behind red dots, especially cheaper ones. I’ve noticed Aimpoints tend to do better, but with a holo sight it’s just a clear, crisp, perfectly round dot.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eotechs are better, but not perfect. Eotech is still a solid choice that I wasn't even thinking about.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d argue that. Every Eotech I’ve looked thru and had, was slot worse then the few mro’s I’ve had

Stupid astigmatisms..lol

My green dot mro is much better then 2 reds, arm east for me.

Back to the subject, I’m not opposed to irons. Really depends on what the rifle/upper is for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I’d argue that. Every Eotech I’ve looked thru and had, was slot worse then the few mro’s I’ve had

Stupid astigmatisms..lol

My green dot mro is much better then 2 reds, arm east for me.

Back to the subject, I’m not opposed to irons. Really depends on what the rifle/upper is for.
    I don't think that was your astigmatism as much as it's a training issue. The HWS are pixelated and look like crap if you focus on the reticle. The focal plane for the reticle is the same as the target which means the trick is to look through the reticle with both eyes open while focusing on the target. It takes some getting used to, especially if you are coming over from traditional RDS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Training issue..lol...I’ve had half dozen of various eotechs and they all Sucked. Have/had aimpints,mros and various other cheap red dots. Their better in that regard “to me”

Ok, but really the trick is, put on your reticle, I mean glasses first, as if you read, as in letter for letter and don’t look ahead or veer off course..You will need both eyes open, your hand on your head and the other rubbing your Tummy in a circle, cause it’s not about training info or trying to sound like ...lol..

It’s about fixed iron sights..

Whatcha got..lol..had to edit as I thought I came off rude......sorry got a killer toothache
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 24 November 2020 at 00:07.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why not try a TA-44?
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    Debating on switching things up and just running fixed iron sights on my SBR which is my primary HD carbine. My eyesight just continues to deteriorate with my astigmatism and red dots just continue to bloom more and more. My current setup is a Trijicon MRO with Magpul back up sights. Honestly the reticle on the MRO is just a hot mess which really blooms into a "constellation" of stars which is bigger than the intended 2 MOA dot.

I tried the Chinesium stuff in the past (PA Cyclops and Vortex Spitfire 1x), and while they are functional, my brain won't let me keep an optic on my primary HD carbine which is made in China. I understand that failure of this type of optic in a HD scenario is unlikely, but...brain block.

Do I just get over myself and use the Spitfire 1x and rid myself of Micro Dots for good (just sold my Browe which was also Chinesium LOL)?

Or do I give a nice set of good ole irons a shot? I was thinking Troy, DD, or Scalarworks.
    I'm working on my next SBR and if I go with the 8" barrel then its only going to have iron sights. Either fixed or flip up. Im tired of hanging all kinds of crap on my rifles and this one is going to be super simple. If I go with the 12.5" upper I will move the T2 and light from my 10.5" to the 12.5" and run the flip ups on the 10.5" as is. Yeah, go with the fixed sights... Shooting with just irons really forces you to focus. I have been eyeballing the Scalarworks sights for a while. May give them a try.
    Last edited by Stone; 24 November 2020 at 19:58.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I'm working on my next SBR and if I go with the 8" barrel then its only going to have iron sights. Either fixed or flip up. Im tired of hanging all kinds of crap on my rifles and this one is going to be super simple. If I go with the 12.5" upper I will move the T2 and light from my 10.5" to the 12.5" and run the flip ups on the 10.5" as is. Yeah, go with the fixed sights... Shooting with just irons really forces you to focus. I have been eyeballing the Scalarworks sights for a while. May give them a try.
    I was playing with some of my rifles with just the flip up sights today with my light in the basement just to try them out and with the large peep at close distances, I feel that it would be adequate at HD ranges. Also don't have to worry about dead batteries. I actually picked up that rifle today and the MRO was dead. I have the green dot version which doesn't have as long of a battery life. At setting 5 it only lasted 8 months.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I recently bought a set of their PEAK fixed AR sights. The machining and quality is outstanding. I used them to build up a super-light, simple build just like you mentioned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @rxer: I didn't put to much thought into it, but a light for HD would definitely be a big plus in a low light situation. It seems the less amount of stuff you have on a rifle seems to bump up reliability...

@Dave: Thanks for the feedback on the PEAK sights. Ive never owned fixed sights. On a rifle with just irons would you think fixed is better than flip ups?
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some thoughts from someone who regularly gets woken up at the bottom of the circadian rhythm cycle and has to utilize vision and brain power immediately...

Your plan to use the large aperture will be a must. Even with my relatively new magic eyes, it's pretty normal for it to take 10-15 seconds before I can get my eyes to focus enough to read text on a computer screen (which has an increased font size, for exactly this reason). I wouldn't count on being able to find that front sight right away. Add in your astigmatism, and you get more fun, depending on how it affects your vision.

As Stone is saying, having the light can help off-set this, as at least it can give you a light area that your front sight can silhouette against, even if it is fuzzy. But I'd also argue that having the light can help you point shoot, once you confirm whatever off-set there may be with the cone of light. If you can get your eye into the rear aperture and then see the cone of light, you're probably reaching 50% hit rate at some closer distance.

Lastly, depending on where you were in your sleep cycle, things are going to be foggy. The adrenaline will help with that, but of course brings its own liability. Plan on processing things slower than normal. Again, large aperture and light helps some of those variables.

Bottom line, I would want to have a light at a minimum. Personally, I'd like a RDS, but I totally understand your logic to not having one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

Your plan to use the large aperture will be a must. Even with my relatively new magic eyes, it's pretty normal for it to take 10-15 seconds before I can get my eyes to focus enough to read text on a computer screen (which has an increased font size, for exactly this reason). I wouldn't count on being able to find that front sight right away. Add in your astigmatism, and you get more fun, depending on how it affects your vision.

I bet Jerry can attest to this more... but I 100% agree with that 10-15 seconds focus thing. I never noticed it when I was younger, but the older I get, It takes me awhile to focus my eyes. The vision deterioration after 40 is a real thing. This is the main reason I red dot everything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Some thoughts from someone who regularly gets woken up at the bottom of the circadian rhythm cycle and has to utilize vision and brain power immediately...

As Stone is saying, having the light can help off-set this, as at least it can give you a light area that your front sight can silhouette against, even if it is fuzzy. But I'd also argue that having the light can help you point shoot, once you confirm whatever off-set there may be with the cone of light. If you can get your eye into the rear aperture and then see the cone of light, you're probably reaching 50% hit rate at some closer distance.

Lastly, depending on where you were in your sleep cycle, things are going to be foggy. The adrenaline will help with that, but of course brings its own liability. Plan on processing things slower than normal. Again, large aperture and light helps some of those variables.

Bottom line, I would want to have a light at a minimum. Personally, I'd like a RDS, but I totally understand your logic to not having one.
    I already have a surefire light mounted so I am good there. My astigmatism mostly affects incoming light so the dots are just a mess. I know that the dot will still be functional at HD ranges, but it bugs the shit out of me in any other situation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe a visible laser would be a good addition in this case.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler