Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Most likely has to do with the frequency of the sound, rather than the sheer volume. It'll probably pick it up if you have it pretty close to the ejection port. Or modify the drill so that you just use par times, I guess.
    Yeah, maybe. I had it hanging from my belt. One of these days I'll see if I can get someone to hold it up directly behind me while I shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I'm running a shooter at a competition that's shooting a quiet, suppressed gun, I'll just push the timer up to the ejection port, and it works fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got an email from AMG Lab today and they said their timers are built to order which typically meant a long wait time. However per their email starting in January they will offer them ready to ship and start keeping inventory on hand for immediate shipment.

I might wait a little bit and get one of those. We will see you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I got an email from AMG Lab today and they said their timers are built to order which typically meant a long wait time. However per their email starting in January they will offer them ready to ship and start keeping inventory on hand for immediate shipment.

I might wait a little bit and get one of those. We will see you.
    So you're going to wait to order so you can avoid waiting for your order?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    So you're going to wait to order so you can avoid waiting for your order?
    Yup. LOL

I'm still looking into it to be honest. It's not a priority and I have holiday anxiety already. I already have too much stuff that should have been done yesterday so a few things have to wait.

Also I read some forums and they were waiting up to six months for a timer. I don't see any point in that.

I don't need to rush to get one anyway. I will get one but after the holidays cool off. Right now 3 day shipping takes about 12 days on average so I can wait a little bit to make sure that's the one I really want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I checked on my CC statement and paid it all off so it looks like I am pretty much in the clear from Christmas already. With that in mind I went ahead and bought the AMG Labs one. They said it was about a 2-3 week wait so I am guessing sometime in early to mid January.

I am totally unfamiliar with shot timers but when I get it I will let you know what my impressions are. I plan to use it for both pistol and rifle practice. I will have to come up with new (to me) drills that incorporate a timer.

If you know of anything along those lines please let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most drills have a time standard to work towards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Most drills have a time standard to work towards.
    Formal drills are new territory for me. Pretty much I am asking to learn and/or be referred to reference material so in due time I can give it a try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Formal drills are new territory for me. Pretty much I am asking to learn and/or be referred to reference material so in due time I can give it a try.
    Well, you're in luck. I actually spent some quality time on google and youtube a year or so ago right after I go my shiny new shot timer and tried to build a plan and or list of ideas. I put my notes in a Word document and here they are:

CARBINE PRACTICE
    1) 12-Round Warm-up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMq7ck-1aQ)
    Ammo: 12 rounds loaded; Target- 3x5 card, 5-yards
    • 2-rounds @ 100 Cadence. E.g., “one hundred” BANG, “one hundred” BANG
    • 2-rounds @ 10 Cadence. E.g., “ten” BANG, “ten” BANG
    • 2-rounds @ 1 Cadence, BANG BANG
    • 2 rounds fast
    Move to 15 yards
    • 2 rounds @ 100 Cadence
    • 2 rounds @ 10 Cadence
    2) Baer Standard Drill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIJejiWnqn4&t=463s )
    Ammo:10 rds load, 3 rds ready mag; Target: Baer Standard Target; 5 yards; Condition: 9 seconds
    2 x 5 rounds in each of the big squares (left and right)
    Bolt-lock reload
    3 rounds in center smaller circle
    Bolt lock reload
    3) “Up Drills” / First Shot (sight alignment) Drill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJsnRRyfso)
    Ammo:5-10 rounds loaded; Target 5x5 box (head shot on IPSC Silhouette); 5 yards; Condition: half sec
    1 shot, starting from low ready
    Repeat until you get ~5 consistent hits within condition
    4) Repeat “Up Drill” with Hammered Pairs
    5) Throttle Control Drill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJsnRRyfso )
    Target: T-Rex 2-circle; Ammo – 8 rounds; condition TBD; range: start 7-10 yard
    4 rounds at cadence in big, then 4 rounds at slower cadence in small (can mix up)
    6) Failure Drill – Repeat above but put one controlled shot in the T-box after the hammered pair (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTqQjvlPs4 )
    7) Box Drill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTqQjvlPs4)
    2-target Failure Drill (above). 2 in chest, 2 in chest, T-box, T-box
    8) Z-Drill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a61R5f7odE0 )
    Ammo: 5 rounds; Target: 5 x 3x5cards; 10 yards; condition: <5sec
    Start from low ready, 1 shot per card in a “Z” pattern
    9) 2-2-4-2-2 Drill ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2oT3BeqVPs&t=277s )
    7 yards, 3 IPSC targets;
    10) Finish session with Repeat BAER Standard Drill, note time difference from first.

PISTOL
    Consistency Drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1iDjiLrp6g
    https://guerrillaapproach.com/produc...y-target-free/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dude. You are the man. Thank you for that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, and FWIW, Failure Drills are my favorite

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Thank you. I will take a look when I get a minute.

I am shooting for fun and I want to keep in fun so a lot of the time I mix up what I am shooting based solely on my mood. I think a timer will add a bit of a new element into it and make it a bit more competitive even if I am only competing against myself.

Over time I want to incorporate that into both pistol and rifle.

About the only pistol 'drill' that I've tried was stuff that I made up. I started at 7 yards and I would draw and shoot the target. Then I would run up and touch the target with my free hand and run back to 15 yards and repeat, and then do it again to 20 ish yards all back to back. It doesn't sound like much but that gets to be a lot of running. I also would do it starting at 20, then 15, then 7 to basically simulate closing space and/or making space between myself and my target.

I've been a lazy ass for a long time though so I haven't done it in a while. But that is the sole thing that I have ever tried and I am definitely not an expert.

Downloads
    Uploads
    About the only pistol 'drill' that I've tried was stuff that I made up. I started at 7 yards and I would draw and shoot the target. Then I would run up and touch the target with my free hand and run back to 15 yards and repeat, and then do it again to 20 ish yards all back to back. It doesn't sound like much but that gets to be a lot of running. I also would do it starting at 20, then 15, then 7 to basically simulate closing space and/or making space between myself and my target.
    I figured it out and I would end up running as fast as I could for between 50 and 60 yards each go with a minimum of 3 shots on target (one at each stop). You can do two shots on target at each stop if you want (6 shots), or even three (for a total of 9 shots fired).

I know one thing. I found out that I am lazy and out of shape. Trying to shoot (accurately) when you are winded and/or feeling like you are going to puke is 'interesting'.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you. I will take a look when I get a minute.

I am shooting for fun and I want to keep in fun so a lot of the time I mix up what I am shooting based solely on my mood. I think a timer will add a bit of a new element into it and make it a bit more competitive even if I am only competing against myself.

Over time I want to incorporate that into both pistol and rifle.

I've been a lazy ass for a long time though so I haven't done it in a while. But that is the sole thing that I have ever tried and I am definitely not an expert.
    Defoor has a similar test.