I know a long time ago I was considering a larger frame AR but I shelved the idea (at the time) for a variety of reasons (dad's brain tumor being among one of them). Going forward as I come in to more money (hopefully) I will have more leeway in my spending.

I am openly asking for opinions as to why or why not for the choices mentioned below. As always I am seeking to make an EDUCATED purchase and I respect all of your opinions. I want you to make me think.

In my mind I keep going back and forth between a good quality bolt action and an AR-10 style rifle for larger caliber guns. As of right now I am 95% sure that I will skip the .308 and go straight to 6.5 Creed. I would consider other options but for now that cartridge is popular enough that brass is everywhere so I won't be out there with a 'one off' cartridge gun. And that round will do anything I have the range for.

In your minds what are the pros and cons of a bolt gun vs a gas gun and why do you think that way? Some have said that gas AR10 platforms can be very picky and have more issues than a standard AR15 but I have no experience with a large frame AR.

On the above said build(s) I don't say 'money is no object' but I am going to buy nice things regardless of the direction I go even if it takes me a lot longer to build it up. I am inclined to go gas gun first merely because of the political environment. I could buy the reciever set and mags and whether I build it now or a year from now it's ok.

Thrown into the mix here is I am definitely interested in building a 6mm ARC upper and pair it with a lower I already have built up (At least for now). That however is kind of low hanging fruit except for a minimum of a $2000 optic. The hold up for me there is the marketplace on parts and components. Paying and waiting six months for a barrel and not being able to buy brass or a BCG and just an overall shortage in the market of everything is making me hold off a bit. If it were not for insane market times (and a lack of brass etc) I would have already gotten on that bandwagon.

I will probably buy a matching upper reciever and a hand guard for that as it's almost a done deal in my head. I am debating whether or not to go ahead and buy the stuff for an AR10 at the same time.

If I do it there will probably be one big order from CMT:

Slick Side Upper (UPUR3) and a matching hand guard. (This will eventually be built out to the 6 ARC)
A matching upper and lower AR10 set and a matching hand guard. (This will be built up to a 6.5 CM)

Just that order alone will set me back about $1200 bucks but I could probably swing it over the next few weeks or month if I decide to make this my final decision.

I will have to wait on the barrels, optics, and other parts. If however I decide to go straight up with the 6ARC and put off the larger caliber build (for now) I could have the 6ARC ready to go (probably including the mags) and have some money left over (however not including the optic). If I forego the larger frame gas gun in favor of a bolt gun I am pretty sure nobody in Congress is going after those anytime soon so I could hold off a lot longer if needed. Just wondering what the superiority is for bolt over gas to make that decision.