Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

What's the deal with Surefire?

I am not knocking Surefire products. I have several lights of theirs and actually I love them (hence why I want to buy another). They are absolutely great.

What I am wondering about is their rollout of new products, specifically the XSC weapons light for small carry guns. They announced this new product over six months ago but nothing is being brought to actual market yet [at least one for my EDC Sig 365XL].

I have been waiting patiently (but eagerly) to buy one of these lights but it seems like their rollout kind of sucks. I understand that it's COVID times and all and that the market is insane but to the best of my knowledge they have not released anything into the wild (for the 365 series) at all yet.

Trying not to Monday morning quarterback here but it looks to me like they dropped the ball big time. They generated a lot of good media attention but then have nothing to sell.

Maybe somebody here knows more than I do about the hold up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you name 5 things from SF that are manufacturer specific? Go.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Can you name 5 things from SF that are manufacturer specific? Go.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Not tracking the question.

My primary (only) complaint so far is they had a big product release a long time ago, more than six months at least, but to this day there has been zero delivery.

It seems like somewhere in between manufacturing and marketing those two teams are on different planets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

My primary (only) complaint so far is they had a big product release a long time ago, more than six months at least, but to this day there has been zero delivery.

It seems like somewhere in between manufacturing and marketing those two teams are on different planets.
    You new to the firearms industry?

This is par for the course. Without SHOT 2021, there's probably no sense of urgency to get a product done ASAP, and with the current surge in all areas of the industry, not a lot of machine time to devote to new products when you can't even make enough current ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You new to the firearms industry?

This is par for the course. Without SHOT 2021, there's probably no sense of urgency to get a product done ASAP, and with the current surge in all areas of the industry, not a lot of machine time to devote to new products when you can't even make enough current ones.
    It's a flashlight, or rather a weapons light, not really a gun. I can go to various sites and find many if not all of their other items even ones similar to the one I am looking at in stock.

I really am not sure but I haven't seen a shortfall of lights requiring extended backorders or whatever but I am very open to being wrong. Given they might be just focusing production on stuff already in sales channels (hence the questions). All I do know is they had a product launch and did all the stuff related to that but then they never actually launched the product.

I have only heard of one person getting the light and that was Mr GunsNGear and there was a lot of speculation that was a sample copy or something.

The pandemic and the gun run were already well underway when they did the formal product launch so it made a lot of people looking for that product to show up on shelves somewhere to wonder if they scrapped or delayed the the product until a later date or whatever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a flashlight, or rather a weapons light, not really a gun. I can go to various sites and find many if not all of their other items even ones similar to the one I am looking at in stock.

I really am not sure but I haven't seen a shortfall of lights requiring extended backorders or whatever but I am very open to being wrong. Given they might be just focusing production on stuff already in sales channels (hence the questions). All I do know is they had a product launch and did all the stuff related to that but then they never actually launched the product.

I have only heard of one person getting the light and that was Mr GunsNGear and there was a lot of speculation that was a sample copy or something.

The pandemic and the gun run were already well underway when they did the formal product launch so it made a lot of people looking for that product to show up on shelves somewhere to wonder if they scrapped or delayed the the product until a later date or whatever.
    All aspects of firearms accessories are hard to find. Lights, accessories, optics, ect.

Product launch dates were announced and missed. Welcome to the firearms industry.

Downloads
    Uploads

I meant name 5 things SF makes that are dedicated Glock (Sig, Colt, etc..) accessories. Made for a specific manufacturer's product. Aside from the X300B, I can't think of another thing they offer that's designed specifically for a single type of firearm; that would limit their ability to sell all of any given item they offer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even in good years deadlines from SS announcements are rarely met. Look at LWRC's SMG, I believe it was 4 years... Rule of thumb is that when a company gives a release date you add a year to that. And beyond that I usually give the product a year from actual release to work out all the problems that usually follow a new release. Folks who buy initial product releases usually become unwitting beta testers.
    Last edited by Stone; 2 March 2021 at 06:52.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plus SF is a defense contractor. Contract > Retail all day, every day. Like Rich said, when it comes to machine time, are you going to dedicate it to making something that will probably sell like hotcakes, or to a contract that's paid on a pre-determined delivery cycle? It would be great if they'd keep the base in the loop, but they don't have to, because as soon as they put out product, people will fall over each other to scoop it up. Case in point: Aero's year late entry into the PCC market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update:

Surefire knows people are irked at them dropping the ball. They published this story 4 days ago stating that there was a covid related battery issue and that units are now shipping. Let's hope this is true.

"After being delayed due to a battery issue related to Covid-19, the SureFire XSC is available for purchase. The rechargeable XSC is designed for the latest micro-compact concealed carry guns from GLOCK, SIG, and Springfield Armory."

https://surefire.news/surefire-xsc/

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  269.0 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL! If you need a light, night sights, and an RMR to hit something, "just get a shotgun"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Streamlight version is probably going to be a winner vs the SF just based on availability and aesthetics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    The Streamlight version is probably going to be a winner vs the SF just based on availability and aesthetics.
    I'm totally open to comparing if I can find any place to lay hands on them. I'm not totally sure of anything just yet.

I need to look at the streamlight version and compare but I don't think that other one is out in the wild yet either.

About the only thing that I have formed a general opinion on in regards to pistol lights is more about the controls than anything else.

If option #1 has a ton of lumens and all that but option #2 has better controls I tend to like it better. Basically the controls and how to activate everything is now my top priority.

I'm definitely not attached to anything yet. When I was shopping for a red dot I was hell bent on the RMRcc but after I handled the Holosun I liked it better and went that route instead. Same thing could be true here.

Up until this point I have not seen either light in person. One thing I don't really care for is the proprietary battery, but if I do go this route I will buy a couple of spares just in case.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm interested, but it's always a pain to deal with holster compatibility. I am really tired of buying new holsters.

I recently picked up a SureFire E2T-MV Tactician and I find it amazing how much better the beam is versus any other competitor. Surefire really has a good understanding of reflectors and beam profile. If this weaponlight follows that same design, the beam quality could make it a winner. Not sure if I love the rechargeable battery but it is an interesting option.

But again, buying a new goddamn holster every time is a real pain in the ass.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I'm interested, but it's always a pain to deal with holster compatibility. I am really tired of buying new holsters.

I recently picked up a SureFire E2T-MV Tactician and I find it amazing how much better the beam is versus any other competitor. Surefire really has a good understanding of reflectors and beam profile. If this weaponlight follows that same design, the beam quality could make it a winner. Not sure if I love the rechargeable battery but it is an interesting option.

But again, buying a new goddamn holster every time is a real pain in the ass.
    I hear you loud and clear. It's definitely a pain in the ass to constantly get holsters. That is part of the reason I get so picky. I try to make sure what I get is right (as much as possible at least). Changing a light isn't just a quick easy thing. All kinds of other things get changed too.

I don't want to always be slow to adopt but on the other hand I want to get good with what I have. It generally gives me a healthy dose of skepticism if I should or shouldn't get stuff.

All I know now is when I first joined WEVO I didn't know anything about lights. Now I am on the cusp of becoming a collector. I've learned a ton of stuff here about lights and other stuff.

I have been eyeing that Tactician and the EDCL2 both. Not sure which one I will get yet. I've had the EDCL1 for a few years and I constantly use the thing. It's great. That and the Titan Plus are on me always.

As far as the weapons light is concerned I am leaning hard towards Surefire because everything else I've used of theirs is great.

Just like with everything else I want to buy them all. Whatever 'it' is I need a bigger budget for it. Lights are awesome. I need to convince myself that I need more of them.