Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    I didn't want to start an entirely new thread to ask, but does anyone know where I can get a spare pocket clip for Surefire flashlight(s)? (I know they are all different types/styles per the model)

    A google search doesn't give me hardly any options to buy stuff and I didn't see anything on their site.

    ---

    A follow up question to that is has anyone tried a deep pocket carry clip for the Tactician? I found the product linked below.

    https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=556

    How you install it is you use this tool below and you take off the lanyard ring and replace it with the clip above. Doesn't appear too difficult but I am wondering if anyone has tried it.

    https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=545

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,619
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Email them.
    I’m sure they will help.

    They gave me some small parts for no charge when I contacted them to buy them.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    I am having a helluva time here. LOL

    I bought another Surefire light. The Tactician has been calling my name for a while now. Opened the brand new factory sealed package and nada. I tried to activate the 800 lumen setting to test it out and nothing. Tried a bunch of times. Removed the batteries and replaced them with known brand new ones. Again nothing. Replaced the batteries again, still no high setting.

    Clearly it was a lemon so I emailed Surefire and they gave me an RMA straight away without asking any questions. My brand new light that I owned for about a full eight hours is on it's way back to Surefire.

    I have no doubt that they will make it right but still, getting a lemon straight out of the box sucks.

    ---

    As far as getting another clip for a different light is concerned, they won't sell them to the public. Apparently everyone is modifying their lights and Surefire doesn't like it so they won't sell just the clip. Anyway I will worry about that later.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,587
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Everyone has a lemon now and then. Report back when you get a replacement.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Well I actually placed an order and got a shipping notification for the new XSC light for the 365XL. I will actually believe it when I get it in my hands but so far it's looking like they actually shipped it.

    I've been waiting for a really long time and a place that I've shopped at before said it was in stock so I did a late night impulse buy. Not really impulse but I didn't hang out and try to see if it was a misprint or something.

    Will report back next week once I get it.

    Will also keep you informed about the turn around time for the Tactician light. They said that one might be up to a month but who knows. I opted to send it to the manufacturer myself vs back to the retailer for a replacement. It was in all new factory packaging when I got it so I figured SF had good warranty service and that it wasn't the retailer's fault so I just shipped it back myself.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    XSC in hand. So far so good. Won't be able to carry it for a while until I get a new holster. I need to get used to the controls and practice with it. Just like anything else, skill is more important. One thing I like about it is it's extremely simple. A quick tap turns the light on. If you hold it for like a 10th of a second or longer it is momentary. If nothing else it's simple to activate.

    If I had the cash and someone that I liked/trusted it would be interesting to go to a class about using lights in a concealed carry/home defense scenario.

    I got the light but until I get more hours on it the jury will be out for a final verdict. First impressions are good though. When the other one from Streamlight comes out I still want to go handle it and do a side by side.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Another first impression I have is actually a question. But after thinking about it it kind of makes sense.

    The programming 'seems' opposite of what an average joe might think they should be. Meaning, if you tap the control it turns the light to constant on. If you hold it for longer it's momentary.

    At first that might seem opposite, but if you really think about it, if you are in a situation where you don't have complete control of things or you simply don't have time and where it's really high stress the quick tap/constant on seems fairly smart. You can turn the light on and be on the trigger really fast.

    On the other hand if you run into a situation where you had more time to prepare you can use the momentary switch. The momentary takes a slight bit more of an intentional movement.

    I think they did it that way because it's a concealed carry centered light. When you need light you need it now and negligent light discharges are much less of a big deal.

    I definitely don't pretend to be an expert in the use of lights but I would think if you have a staged up scenario where a SWAT team is raiding some guy's house the needs for different types of primary control (modes) will be different than if some guy tries to get out of his car and attack me in the street.

    With the constant on being the primary go to with this light it's really simple to activate and then be on your trigger in order to gain control of the situation.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    14,823
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    XSC in hand. So far so good. Won't be able to carry it for a while until I get a new holster.
    This right here, prevents me from getting the newest lights all the time. I think Dave mentioned it before, I'm tired of getting new holsters.

    TLR1HL or the X300, unless there is something crazy good new on the market. I get that these are smaller lights, but I've got a drawer full of TLR6 holsters for my Glock 43's and M&P Shields. Definitely keep posting your impressions, maybe I'll get one.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This right here, prevents me from getting the newest lights all the time. I think Dave mentioned it before, I'm tired of getting new holsters.

    TLR1HL or the X300, unless there is something crazy good new on the market. I get that these are smaller lights, but I've got a drawer full of TLR6 holsters for my Glock 43's and M&P Shields. Definitely keep posting your impressions, maybe I'll get one.
    Absolutely. I don't have a ton of hosters for this gun. Just one. I try to be very calculated about stuff (as everyone here knows). It's inevitable though that as I learn more I will need different things (like holsters). It's part of the evolution I guess.

    The post I just put up about the controls is my biggest first impression. My 'terminology' is mine, but with this light I call constant on the 'primary mode' and momentary 'secondary'. That to me is by far the biggest thing that jumps out at me so far. The more I think about it the more I like that way of thinking.

    There are no extra buttons. I've used some light/lasers where you have to toggle through modes and whatever and I precisely don't like that bullshit. Especially if there are buttons on the side of the light. This one is simple. Simple=Superior in my book especially for something along the nature of this. If I am drawing a concealed carry gun 99.9% of the time it's going to be an emergency and that constant on (primary) of tap it and on (vs a slightly longer hold momentary) is actually shaping up to be a big deal. The more I think about it the more I like it. You got one button.

    Anyway as I progress in my learning and impressions I will definitely keep all of you updated.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,626
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Another first impression I have is actually a question. But after thinking about it it kind of makes sense.

    The programming 'seems' opposite of what an average joe might think they should be. Meaning, if you tap the control it turns the light to constant on. If you hold it for longer it's momentary.

    At first that might seem opposite, but if you really think about it, if you are in a situation where you don't have complete control of things or you simply don't have time and where it's really high stress the quick tap/constant on seems fairly smart. You can turn the light on and be on the trigger really fast.

    On the other hand if you run into a situation where you had more time to prepare you can use the momentary switch. The momentary takes a slight bit more of an intentional movement.

    I think they did it that way because it's a concealed carry centered light. When you need light you need it now and negligent light discharges are much less of a big deal.

    I definitely don't pretend to be an expert in the use of lights but I would think if you have a staged up scenario where a SWAT team is raiding some guy's house the needs for different types of primary control (modes) will be different than if some guy tries to get out of his car and attack me in the street.

    With the constant on being the primary go to with this light it's really simple to activate and then be on your trigger in order to gain control of the situation.
    That seems intuitive and applicable to any gunfight setting. Look up "Negligent light discharge". That seems to be a focal point of WML usage.

    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This right here, prevents me from getting the newest lights all the time. I think Dave mentioned it before, I'm tired of getting new holsters.

    TLR1HL or the X300, unless there is something crazy good new on the market. I get that these are smaller lights, but I've got a drawer full of TLR6 holsters for my Glock 43's and M&P Shields. Definitely keep posting your impressions, maybe I'll get one.
    You have drawers full of that stuff anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Absolutely. I don't have a ton of hosters for this gun. Just one. I try to be very calculated about stuff (as everyone here knows). It's inevitable though that as I learn more I will need different things (like holsters). It's part of the evolution I guess.

    The post I just put up about the controls is my biggest first impression. My 'terminology' is mine, but with this light I call constant on the 'primary mode' and momentary 'secondary'. That to me is by far the biggest thing that jumps out at me so far. The more I think about it the more I like that way of thinking.

    There are no extra buttons. I've used some light/lasers where you have to toggle through modes and whatever and I precisely don't like that bullshit. Especially if there are buttons on the side of the light. This one is simple. Simple=Superior in my book especially for something along the nature of this. If I am drawing a concealed carry gun 99.9% of the time it's going to be an emergency and that constant on (primary) of tap it and on (vs a slightly longer hold momentary) is actually shaping up to be a big deal. The more I think about it the more I like it. You got one button.

    Anyway as I progress in my learning and impressions I will definitely keep all of you updated.
    Simpler is always better. Always. Period. That's why a taser is as far from the look and feel of a pistol as it can get, and is supposed to be worn on the weak/off side.

    Stress will f@ck up your days. Train for it.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    That seems intuitive and applicable to any gunfight setting. Look up "Negligent light discharge". That seems to be a focal point of WML usage.

    Simpler is always better. Always. Period. That's why a taser is as far from the look and feel of a pistol as it can get, and is supposed to be worn on the weak/off side.

    Stress will f@ck up your days. Train for it.
    I have never been in a gunfight so no first hand experience.

    Anyway my point about negligent light discharge was that there is a big difference in situations. An average concealed carry person are just going about their own business.

    If you are a Navy Seal and we're trying to sneak up on a bomb maker's house in Afghanistan a NLD would alert the neighborhood that you were on the way. Not good. This is a much bigger deal in that situation than having some nutcase run up on you in the Dollar Store parking lot. If someone sees my light at the Dollar Store maybe they will call the cops or help out.

    Generally speaking I think the majority of concealed carry could function just fine with only a simple on/off function. The introduction of momentary is just bonus material.

    Admittedly I don't know hardly anything so I'm definitely interested in learning more about the use of lights. Those are basically my initial thoughts but I am very interested in getting more information and carrying on the conversation for sure. I'm definitely wide open to learn.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,626
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Keep thinking that. Same logic was applied for not needing a suppressor.

    Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Keep thinking that. Same logic was applied for not needing a suppressor.

    Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    Hopefully the term "discussion" implies that you will try to educate me beyond a one liner on the internet.

    Hopefully I've already established that, 1. I don't know much, and 2. I am definitely open to learning.

    Fire when ready.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,626
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    You brought up Navy SEALs bud. Granted, a large number of the cc community stick their gun in a glovebox and their head in the sand, but a small number actually seek training that works. For those people, the fact that they donít have a badge or a trident doesnít mean they canít elevate their cognitive and psychomotor capability. I donít pretend to know very much, but I gave you some things to think about and you poo-pooíd it with the oh-so-tired SEAL argument. If you donít want to hear my opinion, the ignore button is waiting. Peace.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,425
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    You brought up Navy SEALs bud. Granted, a large number of the cc community stick their gun in a glovebox and their head in the sand, but a small number actually seek training that works. For those people, the fact that they donít have a badge or a trident doesnít mean they canít elevate their cognitive and psychomotor capability. I donít pretend to know very much, but I gave you some things to think about and you poo-pooíd it with the oh-so-tired SEAL argument. If you donít want to hear my opinion, the ignore button is waiting. Peace.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I wasn't intending to be a smartass towards you but I'm pretty sure now it came across that way. Sorry about that. It wasn't intended to be a personal swipe or a poke at anyone. I was actually asking you to elaborate and share 'why' because I am very interested in learning.

    My question/point 'about Seals' wasn't intended 'specifically' in that way that I think it was taken. It could have applied to any hundreds of groups or situations whether it be certain situations for cops or the military or a long list of other things. I personally have never been any of those and I don't pretend to be.

    All I was trying to say was that as I tried to think through things is that in a situation like I tried to describe that a negligent light discharge would be a massive fail and could easily get someone killed. If the bad guys didn't do it [from what stories I've heard] the team mates might do it to whoever messed up. That's how it's always been presented to me.

    Anyway it's all in the weeds so (trying to re-focus)... my observation about the controls of the XSC is what matters. With the Surefire 300 series if you tap the control it's momentary only. You have to flip the lever down and push it into place for constant on. It seems (to me) that constant on is a secondary type of operation with that light. Secondary meaning it requires a slight bit more effort to get there.

    With the XSC a quick momentary tap is straight to constant on. It's somewhat opposite to the 300 series. With the XSC if you push the lever and hold it for a bit longer it's momentary but activating the constant on feature seems to me to be a lot easier (and faster). Two lights, same company, but seemingly different philosophies about operation.

    In my first impressions this seemed to be a very interesting point of discussion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •