Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWI X95 Tavor

Downloads
    Uploads

IWI X95 Tavor

I just traded an Armalite AR10 for the X95 variant of the Tavor. What am I in for? It's the right hand version. I need a left hand conversion, however I have read that this may be a non issue if using full powered 5.56 loads. What says the hive here?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    I just traded an Armalite AR10 for the X95 variant of the Tavor. What am I in for? It's the right hand version. I need a left hand conversion, however I have read that this may be a non issue if using full powered 5.56 loads. What says the hive here?
    I've been interested in a Tavor, but have a better idea. Shoot the shit out of it and tell us all of this stuff. I'm especially curious about accuracy and trigger pull/smoothness.....etc...

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 4 December 2023 at 17:22.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I've been interested in a Tavor, but have a better idea. Shoot the shit out of it and tell us all of this stuff. I'm especially curious about accuracy and trigger pull/smoothness.....etc...

FT
    Challenge accepted! The one I was invited to get a hands on with but just a dry run, had a Geissele trigger pack and Geissele bow and was wicked good but the original owner said that he thinks that this one's trigger is surprisingly nice for what it is. If it's not, then I'll purchase the required upgrades from Geissele for it. I've been doing my homework on parts to swap but do plan on shooting this first before ordering anything for it just to make sure, however I do plan on getting the manticore selector levers as they're like the ASF90 in fit and function and that's my favorite selector for all of my AR15's.

I'm thinking that this rifle may be okay to get a single point to use with as it's not the length of a nut buster while slung the modern way

And surprisingly enough this would be the first time that I already have the optics and lights on hand to choose from to mount on. It shipped this past Friday so hopefully this or next week I'll get the call to pick it up.
    Last edited by TheRifleman; 4 December 2023 at 20:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, we'll be looking forward to hearing about it.
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have handled and shot one briefly, same with an AUG. I’ll never get used to a bullpup design. Old dogs/new tricks? Only benefit I see is a longer barrel in a shorter package. You’d have to practice a TON in order to get the same speeds for reloading, immediate action etc as you would achieve on an M4 platform, I imagine

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I have handled and shot one briefly, same with an AUG. I’ll never get used to a bullpup design. Old dogs/new tricks? Only benefit I see is a longer barrel in a shorter package. You’d have to practice a TON in order to get the same speeds for reloading, immediate action etc as you would achieve on an M4 platform, I imagine
    It could be done, given a limited number of platforms, I think. I'm not Delta or a Seal or have ever been anything close, but I know those guys are trained to pick up just about anything, operate, and use it efficiently. I pick up a bolt action rifle and go hunting, without second thoughts, or a semi-auto .22 for rabbit. That's not combat, but it doesn't require re-training or practice, Former, much less pistols, or an O/U shotgun for birds. if you get my point.FT:-)
    Last edited by FortTom; 5 December 2023 at 14:57.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I didn’t make my point as well as I thought I had. My fault

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never mentioned that I was thinking about transitioning from the AR15 to the Tavor, just asking for experienced advice to get any tips from. My intent was for wanting something different and that's it really. My primary is an 11.5 SBR with a DBAL dual with green and infrared, RC2, 18350 Modlite body with a PLHv2 head, Unity Axon dual pressure switch set, Scalarworks 1.93, Aimpoint T2, Geissele CHF barrel, Mk14, and SSA trigger. I've dumped a lot of money into this one using a lot of FCD parts as well including the Sionics NP3 BCG with dimples made for FCD. I've also dumped a lot of rounds through it too, from classes to local two gun matches. Have already burnt out a Colt 11.5 SOCOM barrel doing it with previously.

Plus my entire adult mil career from start to finish was with the M16 family, while true a dog can learn new tricks however I have my swan song AR finally the way I want it and know it very intimately. However learning something else is not hard to do once the right type of instructor has torn open and removed any training scars.

Anyway...

It may be here tomorrow at the FFL to pick up. Maybe. We shall see. I am AR15'ed out and just want to be sure that a better mousetrap isn't being ignored from any biases. Worst case, I get to own a gun made by Israel and that alone is enough to trigger the current batch of Hamas supporters, making it totally worth it in the end because F Hamas and F them and their Israeli and Jewish hate; לעולם לא שוב!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think anyone thought you were dumping the AR for the Tavor, just folks thinking out loud.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all good, discussion is fine and keeps us all active and thinking about things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Personally, I've never felt any allure from them, and since I pretty much hate any version of AK, the AR has been my flavor since I picked up my first one in '81. The evolution of the American Rifle since the Sporter days has been fun to participate in. Like you, I love an SBR, hell, I even went the other direction and worked up an 18" rifle just to add some diversity. I'm still chapped over missing out on the ACR, although I wish Magpul would have never let Remington near the Masada. That, to me is the true state of where the AR would be today if the Freedom gang wouldn't have been allowed to f$ck it all up six ways to Sunday! If you are pursuing the Tavor as something different, other than an AK, I'm with you in that chase! I'm also with you on the whole "Fk Hamas" thing as well!

I bought a SCAR-S at the Enforcement Expo in NOLA several years back and Sandy Hook happened right as I was having buyer's remorse, so I flipped it almost the day it showed up at my FFL for almost double. Other than the not one single part matched color-wise, it was shockingly light despite its appearance, but it just didn't feel like a gun should for the money it cost. I suppose I could've gotten to like it eventially, but the offer was too good to pass up, considering I was already having second thoughts about spending the money. I almost bought a LWRC SBR, but it was just too much of a PITA, being out of state and taking on an ATF permission note wasn't appealing at the time.

For "different" I'm kind of looking at the PSA Jackl, as it's a blatant ACR knock-off and they couldn't possibly do any worse, PSA rep and all. From what I've seen, reviews are mostly positive, so I might dip my toe in that pond. As a poor public safety worker, I must admit the other "knock-off" they're pimping, the Sabre, is pretty darn sexy in the full M-110 trim. I think they should take off the bipod and discount the price accordingly, but the 10 foot test screams hottie to anybody that wants a M-110, but will never be able to swing 10-15k for a range toy.

Edit: sorry for the derail, but you knew we do that rather well around here!
    Last edited by Joelski; 7 December 2023 at 17:30.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it's here by tracking status showing delivered so I will show up tomorrow to do the paperwork and background and with any luck and no delay I shall have it.

Stay tuned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Personally, I've never felt any allure from them, and since I pretty much hate any version of AK, the AR has been my flavor since I picked up my first one in '81. The evolution of the American Rifle since the Sporter days has been fun to participate in. Like you, I love an SBR, hell, I even went the other direction and worked up an 18" rifle just to add some diversity. I'm still chapped over missing out on the ACR, although I wish Magpul would have never let Remington near the Masada. That, to me is the true state of where the AR would be today if the Freedom gang wouldn't have been allowed to f$ck it all up six ways to Sunday! If you are pursuing the Tavor as something different, other than an AK, I'm with you in that chase! I'm also with you on the whole "Fk Hamas" thing as well!

I bought a SCAR-S at the Enforcement Expo in NOLA several years back and Sandy Hook happened right as I was having buyer's remorse, so I flipped it almost the day it showed up at my FFL for almost double. Other than the not one single part matched color-wise, it was shockingly light despite its appearance, but it just didn't feel like a gun should for the money it cost. I suppose I could've gotten to like it eventially, but the offer was too good to pass up, considering I was already having second thoughts about spending the money. I almost bought a LWRC SBR, but it was just too much of a PITA, being out of state and taking on an ATF permission note wasn't appealing at the time.

For "different" I'm kind of looking at the PSA Jackl, as it's a blatant ACR knock-off and they couldn't possibly do any worse, PSA rep and all. From what I've seen, reviews are mostly positive, so I might dip my toe in that pond. As a poor public safety worker, I must admit the other "knock-off" they're pimping, the Sabre, is pretty darn sexy in the full M-110 trim. I think they should take off the bipod and discount the price accordingly, but the 10 foot test screams hottie to anybody that wants a M-110, but will never be able to swing 10-15k for a range toy.

Edit: sorry for the derail, but you knew we do that rather well around here!
    Here's the dry review, my thoughts so far as I just picked mine up this past day but live fire won't be until this Sunday.

Hefty rear, lightened front. Adding the necessities adds heft and balances it very well but too much in the front makes it now front heavy and not optimal.

Pistol grip is the right angle but I wish we had the AR15 option to put what we want on it instead because not all hands fit the same. But it's not the end of the world and the texture around isn't bad but I may be adding some talon wrap in rubber.

I like the long top rail, lots of uninterrupted real estate if one doesn't mind using spots where the backup sights are located in the top rail itself.

Length of pull is exactly right where it should be for me at least using the bent arm at 45 degrees and wristed canted inwards. I'm 5'10 if this matters. If you're of South African Euro stature then you may need a a longer butt pad. But this is just perfect for me with the OEM one.

Height over bore. If you're already into the tall mounts then you'd be right at home with the drop compensations at certain distances but be warned that a lower one third will feel like an absolute and a 1.93 will feel like a lower one third from the chin welds, and so on.

Manual of arms. Bolt release is not where we're expecting it to be. Charging handle being on the side is still natural to me due to spending a long time being either the M-60 or later a 249 gunner. Selector is right where you'd expect it to be on an AR15 and almost the same with the mag release but this one is ambidextrous and pushes inward and down at the same time so almost the same in function. Th selector's lever is shaped like an M16's so this will be a natural feel for the user used to only one way of doing things on a rifle.

If you were a fan of USGI polymer handguards or the newer quad rails, well you get to have it back with this one unless using an aftermarket Mlok tube. Not being a fan of quads myself even though I spent a decade using them on USGI issued rifles, it's not that bad as the edges aren't as sharp. Plus I don't know why I kept on to certain quad specific accessories but am now glad I already had what was needed on hand to use again.

Muzzle device is kept on by a jam nut, no vice needed to swap MD's with. However there's an aftermarket crush washer specifically made for the Tavor to use in case one doesn't want to use the provided jam nut.

The trigger really isn't bad for a stock bullpup and this one IMO is even better than an AR's milspec basic cheap OEM trigger. However I may still replace both the trigger and trigger bow eventually but not immediately to save some money.

Overall so far so good with me. Bolt release does take some getting used to but not a deal breaker. Will update with the second half of this review as asked after rounds have been sent downrange finally to complete this short and quick sampled size of one person's take.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far so good. This does appeal to my penchant for short rifles. I'm interested in hearing if there's any strange impulse/recoil traits d/t the design. Also wondering about noise level with the ejection port being closer to the shooter's ears. Of course, ear pro is a given, but we know that sometimes doesn't always happen, even if there's no excuse for it in slower paced life. :) I still have that issue where I fire off the first shot and.. riiinnnnngg! Oopsie! One of the reasons I like the BCM Mod 3 grip so well is it perfectly stashes foam for when I forget muffs.

I'm with you on keeping the stock trigger for a minute. I like to try out the basic offering, if for no other reason than to remind myself how nice the Geissele triggers are when I install them. Have them in every rifle. Lots of people say the Larue MBT is better bang for the buck, but I like what I like, every rifle shoots the exact same aside from a .5 lb pull between an SSA and SSA-E, and if you wait for the predictable sales every holiday, the price difference isn't so bad. Buy direct from Bill: he undercuts his retailers!

One last request: how does it scale out compared to a similarly equipped SBR?
    Last edited by Joelski; 10 December 2023 at 10:28.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Scale out as in weight between both?