I finally finished my new bench project and have even produced my first reloads off the new set up.

It all started shortly after I bought the house and put a workbench in a little nook in the corner of the garage:

Off that simple bench, I built my first AR and even posted a thread here about the tools I used. A little while after that, I started my journey into reloading, which lead to a few changes in the bench as I made room for my press on an Inline Fabrications riser. I also added some excellent metal pegboard from Wall Control

From there, I upgraded the bench to big-box-store, but sturdy, heavy duty workbench. I generally kept the same layout, though and this would see me through the next few years

But as discussed when I hijacked Alamo's thread, the flow was off and I wanted something more finished, more refined, where I could enjoy my time spent pulling the press, but also easily reconfigure for other tasks. If my weapons can be modular, why can't my bench?

I also needed a bench for my rural property, so I decided to move my heavy duty bench out to the farm, where I can shoot on my own property, and build in a custom bench at home. And by using Inline Fabrication's Quick Change system at both locations, it would be easy to take my Forster Co-Ax out to the property when needed.

Inspired in part by some videos from Wranglestar on youtube, I decided to build a wall mount bench with dual flush-mount Quick Change plates. So off I went:

and the old bench went out to the farm

But at home, I didn't just want function. I wanted some style and a space I'd enjoy spending time in, so I wanted to give the area a facelift, too. What if HGTV met a reloader's bench? How about a nice stained butcher block counter top with hand rubbed tung oil?

Now, about those flush mount quick change plates: I've never routered anything before, so I deployed Alamo-like internet research and over analysis, plus a few trial runs on scrap wood to determine that I needed to make some jigs. First for the outline:

But, more importantly, for the full depth of the cutout. I took an old clip board, cut a hole, and then hot-glued 1x2 pieces to make this jig to uniformly route out the inset (note that math was involved - I measured the base plate, bit size, etc., and mocked it up on the dining room table using books to convince myself I had it right)

With all the planning, preparation, and practice, I still made some mistakes. My router bit came loose and went too deep on one pass. And when making the cut for the outline for the second flush mount plate I didn't rotate my Router to keep a constant distance off the jig and ended up with an extra 1/8" cut off the back that you can see in the image below (the router base plate has a flat edge on the back of an otherwise round plate). Still, I was pretty pleased with the results from this novice woodworker.

With the bench nearing completion, I then painted the area a dark gray (Rock Bottom, from Sherwin Williams), replaced my Wall Control panels with their "Signature Series" matte black panels (the gray panels were moved to a different part of the garage), used wood planks to cover the chimney (after using some concrete mix to smooth over the "shelf"), and added some Inline Fabrication Rail Wall Organizers

I mounted the Inline Fabrication Quick Change storage docks up on the wood paneled chimney so I could keep the Co-Ax and Redding BR powder measure out of the way when not needed.

I also had Inline Fabrications make a custom QC plate for my Wilton vise

That vice is around 35 pounds, which is likely heavier than Inline Fabrications designed the system for. When I converted my Inline Fabrication riser to the quick change system, I ended up with an extra plate that I used to reinforce the bottom of the left QC plate to help strengthen it to handle the vise

(note in the photo above you can also see where my router bit got loose and cut deeper than intended)

I did get a roll of tool box lining to cover the bench when I'm working on projects and want to protect the bench

To complete the project, I finally patched the drywall above the service panel and added a clock to the space. I also loaded up my Inline Fabrication Rail Wall organizer with my reloading dies. I also added a power strip and even changed out the light switch / outlets for black to better match the space

The project is now complete and I turned out my first reloads this past weekend, after starting the project about 3 months ago. Note that I also added the Quick Change 7.5" elevating workbase to the system.

I'm very happy with how it all came out!