I normally use Reloder 15 in my precision ARs but hit a dry spell before the craziness rolled around and managed to scoop up a good bit of Varget. Fortunately I was able to restock my RE15 and then some while I have been using the Varget supply but I just had a very strange (to me) occurrence with it once I used the last of one lot I’d had five or six pounds of and opened one of the last six remaining one pound containers. Five of them are the same lot from early 2020 I think and the last outcast pound is only a couple days and digits (lot# wise) from the past ones I’d been loading and shooting with much success.

I loaded up 100 rounds from that one outcast lot# of Varget and my results were very surprising. Depending on the distance (200-700yds) I was anywhere from half a mil to well over a mil HIGH, and probably even more than that at some point.

Primers and brass are not showing pressure signs like craters, flat primers or swipes.

I have some of my “good” loads left and some of the recent loaded ammo left so I’m hoping to go to the range to chronograph the two side by side within a week or so to get a better idea of what’s going on

Long story short...I’ve never experienced such an extreme variation in powder lots like that. With my RE15 loads, If I switched lots, I’d check my zero and maybe adjust it a couple clicks here or there but nothing like this...and I guess with Varget being so known for consistency and temperature insensitivity...I was really caught off guard

Anyone else experience similar extreme variations with different powder lots?