Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
Two months into the red dot game I'm still not convinced it's better than irons; more the contrary. I could just be old AF and set in my ways, but I still have trouble picking up the dot and splits are a joke. More power to guys that shoot better with them, and I won't give up this easily, but at this point, for me it's a neat range toy, but has no chance of unseating iron sights and a decent light for HD, or tritium for carry.
It took me a while to warm up to it. I shot no less than 1K rounds through my carry gun to get used to it. Since I can shoot at home I would go shoot 3 or 4 mags every other day until it was ingrained. I didn't shoot any more than that on any given day because it would run contrary to what I was trying to accomplish in the way of learning. After a certain round count I am just pulling the trigger and not really learning anything.

I am in no way a fast shooter so I won't say if it slowed me down or not, but I think just plain speed is only a portion of the picture. There are a ton of other things that I like about it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
I will also cast another no vote for knackering your 226. Whether you value it for it's military heritage or not, there are better, more established pistols for hosting a RDS, IMHO.
I didn't buy any gun of mine because of it's heritage or anything. I just like the gun and I won't be getting rid of it. The good thing about the plan I have is I won't be changing anything really. I plan to keep my current slide the way it is. I will just get a Sig milled slide and swap it so I could go back any time. That said I put a custom trigger in it and it's awesome.

I can and will get other guns as money allows but I really like my P226 and I want to keep it. I typically don't carry it so pretty much I use it as a suppressor host. In certain situations I definitely would carry it but it's not an EDC at all.