Downloads
    Uploads

Driving to Orlando from SC tomorrow...

It’s about 500 miles (less, but I’m adding in stops and traffic etc) from my house to where we are going (Middle of SC to Orlando FL)

I’m a tad worried about the gas situation. Leaving tomorrow mid afternoon and will be down there through Sunday and my car will be parked the whole time. I think the further this progresses the better it’ll get but short term driving down there, would y’all suggest I take a gas can (or two) as a safety net?

The vehicle we are taking can’t make the full trip (400 miles and it’s on fumes). I could take say my oldest can or two just to top off with down there and give us a buffer for the return trip or driving around locally if necessary and I don’t mind throwing the cans out once they’re empty to prevent enticing theft /sitting in the sun/etc if necessary

So, should I take a gas can or two or just count on there being gas somewhere? Grade and cost is irrelevant as long as it’s available.

EDIT
    Rescheduling is not a possibility

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a little south of Tampa. We have not seen any shortages (yet). Regular in populated areas runs about $2.85. A little more or a little less at the truck stops that sell to cars. I don't know if "panic" will set in down here, but a gas can might be good insurance.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not on the east coast... but I'd still take some extra cans for peace of mind. You still have to drive around when you get there, and I thought they weren't getting that pipeline up and running for another week or so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 for the gas cans. I don't know if you will run across a severe outage as fuel can still be trucked in from other sources. During hurricane season here where I am it's not uncommon for gas stations to be completely dry for days or even weeks at a time in some instances. None the less just so you don't have to worry about it I would take a couple of cans given what you have told us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The panic buying is again what’s draining the gas stations

No one wants to get caught without, so a normal weeks’ business is done in a day for three days straight. Stations can’t support that much activity.

A lot of stations around me closer to the interstate are out entirely and others further in towns have only premium and diesel left

If I can’t top off locally before the trip, I’ve got enough at home to do so and still take some with me. I will likely fill up my tank with said gas can when I arrive because I don’t have anywhere to secure it and it’ll get stolen from my hitch rack without a doubt

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post

If I can’t top off locally before the trip, I’ve got enough at home to do so and still take some with me. I will likely fill up my tank with said gas can when I arrive because I don’t have anywhere to secure it and it’ll get stolen from my hitch rack without a doubt
    Too bad you don't have the time to fill up a gas can with 90% water and 10% gas, give some thief a nice repair bill once they put it in their own tanks.