Downloads
    Uploads

Any dude with a Dremel is a gunsmith

So any dude with a Dremel is a gunsmith, right?

So I am working on "project lightweight." This consists of a KE arms polymer lower, upper w/o FA, and a pencil barrel. I have been looking at lightweight lower parts made out of Aluminum and Titanium and will probably go that direction to save every possible ounce I can.

Since I had some spare lower parts laying around I figured I could at least give it a shot to make them as light as possible. In order to do this I started with the safety selector and the bolt catch. I removed as much material from them as I thought reasonable to maintain strength. Now the weight savings is measured in 10ths of ounces, but it was a fun project to try. I think the Safety selector came out about as well possible and the bolt catch actually seems pretty decent as well. After grinding I cleaned the parts and then cold blued them with Birchwood Casey cold blue.

I do worry about the bolt catch because it did get really hot as I was grinding away. I am sure that it lost strength and became brittle with the heat I generated. I will probably use the safety selector but will probably ditch the mag release due to strength concerns. I will probably use a BAD bolt catch, 2A armament mag release, and them pick up some titanium trigger pins.

All in all this was just a for fun project that kept me busy a few hours.

Any other lightweight parts you can think of to help me spend my money?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just drill holes directly into the receiver

Name:  holes.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  35.4 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think I could dremel flute.my barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    Think I could dremel flute.my barrel?
    You obviously need a drill press if you want to take your gunsmithing to the next level!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You obviously need a drill press if you want to take your gunsmithing to the next level!
    Why? A manuel hand auger works just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A set of hand files should take care of everything, no?

Maybe a soldering iron too?

Don't forget the tape!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the attitude of a beginner

Downloads
    Uploads
    Finding migrants because they'll do the job by hand instead of providing power tools is racist!

There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did this a couple or so years ago. No drills, no poly. Just the lightest parts I could find. Just about drove me nuts comparing parts just to save an ounce or less here or there. Ended up with an expensive "light weight AR". Thin barrel heats up quickly, so it's usefulness is as a niche gun. Quit while you're ahead and save your sanity, nerves and money on your liquor bill. http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ild&highlight=
    Last edited by FortTom; 1 June 2021 at 19:45.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I did this a couple or so years ago. No drills, no poly. Just the lightest parts I could find. Just about drove me nuts comparing parts just to save an ounce or less here or there. Ended up with an expensive "light weight AR". Thin barrel heats up quickly, so it's usefulness is as a niche gun. Quit while you're ahead and save your sanity, nerves and money on your liquor bill. http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ild&highlight=
    I actually made it in at 4.5 lbs and really didn't spend too.much of a premium.

Titanium gas block was only $60. Bolt catch $14. LW BCG was only $150. Removing all weights from buffer free. Aluminum mag release $20. KE ploy lower was $110. Its actually a modestly priced build. I am experimenting with an ATI FCG WHICH IS POLYMER and that was dirt cheap. It is a niche gun and really just built it for something to do and experiment with light parts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For a beginner