So any dude with a Dremel is a gunsmith, right?

So I am working on "project lightweight." This consists of a KE arms polymer lower, upper w/o FA, and a pencil barrel. I have been looking at lightweight lower parts made out of Aluminum and Titanium and will probably go that direction to save every possible ounce I can.

Since I had some spare lower parts laying around I figured I could at least give it a shot to make them as light as possible. In order to do this I started with the safety selector and the bolt catch. I removed as much material from them as I thought reasonable to maintain strength. Now the weight savings is measured in 10ths of ounces, but it was a fun project to try. I think the Safety selector came out about as well possible and the bolt catch actually seems pretty decent as well. After grinding I cleaned the parts and then cold blued them with Birchwood Casey cold blue.

I do worry about the bolt catch because it did get really hot as I was grinding away. I am sure that it lost strength and became brittle with the heat I generated. I will probably use the safety selector but will probably ditch the mag release due to strength concerns. I will probably use a BAD bolt catch, 2A armament mag release, and them pick up some titanium trigger pins.

All in all this was just a for fun project that kept me busy a few hours.

Any other lightweight parts you can think of to help me spend my money?