Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at higher-ish end optics

Looking at some higher end scopes...finally in a position to pick one up

Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18x FFP PR1-MIL
    NF NX8 2.5-20x F1 (4-32x is a little much...)

Any others around the $2000 mark, FFP, not extremely huge/heavy that I should look at?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the ATACR 4-16 too heavy? It's at your price range if you do the .mil purchase.

I seriously looked at the 2.5-20 F1, but I was scared off by the many reports of the small eye box. Sounded like a great scope for the price if you weren't worried about being out of position behind the scope.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Is the ATACR 4-16 too heavy? It's at your price range if you do the .mil purchase.

I seriously looked at the 2.5-20 F1, but I was scared off by the many reports of the small eye box. Sounded like a great scope for the price if you weren't worried about being out of position behind the scope.
    I did look at the ATACR 4-16 but was hoping for a tad bit more magnification

The eyebox on the 2.5-20 NX8 will pose an issue...read a write up that indicated you’ve got to be perfectly behind it or you’ll experience some heavy distortion. If I’m shooting weak hand or from a less than ideal position I need one that’ll be forgiving in that regard.

Thanks for the input. That’s exactly what I’m looking for

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love the mk5hd series, and the 3.6-18 is a beautifully designed optic.
    Last edited by VIPER 237; 20 May 2021 at 09:24.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP/MIL model fits the bill but I’m not sure if it’s in the same class as the MK5HD...it’s more compact and lightweight which is a huge plus

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I did look at the ATACR 4-16 but was hoping for a tad bit more magnification
    You know what you need and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, so I ask this question for my own education since I know you're doing PRS-type events... What does more mag give you? Or maybe the other half of the question is how far out are you shooting? I've taken my NF 4-16 out to 850 on a B/C steel target, and it was very workable, but that was strong side, so I'm curious if part of this is working weak side and/or other parts of it are needing more mag for ranging/PID/etc. I haven't shot PRS, only mildly looked at videos of industry types showing certain kinds of stages, so I certainly don't know what's needed (and obviously different matches have different priorities). As someone who doesn't like a ton of magnification on the tactical/.22 caliber side, I'm just curious to learn what's out there on the .30 cal-type competitions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    You know what you need and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, so I ask this question for my own education since I know you're doing PRS-type events... What does more mag give you? Or maybe the other half of the question is how far out are you shooting? I've taken my NF 4-16 out to 850 on a B/C steel target, and it was very workable, but that was strong side, so I'm curious if part of this is working weak side and/or other parts of it are needing more mag for ranging/PID/etc. I haven't shot PRS, only mildly looked at videos of industry types showing certain kinds of stages, so I certainly don't know what's needed (and obviously different matches have different priorities). As someone who doesn't like a ton of magnification on the tactical/.22 caliber side, I'm just curious to learn what's out there on the .30 cal-type competitions.
    Not to weigh in something on which I have no experience, but I find it interesting that SOCOM spec'd out the ATACR 7-35x56 for the Mk22 (for 300 Norma and 338 Norma). Kevin Owens comment on the magnification was that you don't have to shoot at 35 power - you can target id and back down to 25 if that's what you want as you do catch a lot of mirage at 35x.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Looking at some higher end scopes...finally in a position to pick one up

Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18x FFP PR1-MIL
    NF NX8 2.5-20x F1 (4-32x is a little much...)

Any others around the $2000 mark, FFP, not extremely huge/heavy that I should look at?
    Seems like the Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50 should be on your list. Good Mil discount and seems well received in the long range community. Lighter than the ATACR

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot one today...generally I’m shooting majority between 300-700 with outliers to 1000. Nearer targets I definitely use lower mag to scan and dial it up for distance.

There was A LOT of haze and mirage today because of heat (88*) over light sandy soil so 25x was actually kind of blurry and didn’t really help. But on a clear day it’a fine. I only use the top end like that for very small targets (2” gong at 550yds today for example)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Copy all, thanks. I kind figured the higher end mag might be helpful for what I call shooting "feats of strength." No matter how many IG posts from "operators," it seems competitions (some of the time) like to take anecdotes and skew the MILSPC requirement and actual capability into one and the same, for the sake of "competition." That's not always a bad thing, but I think it also tends to skew the reality of what certain weapon systems are built for (and their limitations). I'll get off my soapbox now.......Hopefully you find a great optic, regardless.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We use the Mark5 and Mark6 in H59...so we don’t really dial at all. I’m not a huge Leupy fan, but the Mark5 is probably the best I’ve used from that company. The mag range is about perfect and we have shot out to 1400 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will say that I’m willing to try the Eotech 5-25 with the H59 on a new build coming up. It has some illumination and it’s fairly compact which is helpful with a clip on NVD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  A4D369BF-0B0E-40D0-B199-0E2ED672AA14.jpeg
Views: 156
Size:  1.48 MB

Let’s see how she do

MK5HD 3.6-18x44 FFP/MIL

So much shorter than the PST II. Feels more balanced now and not like a telescope is on top

Downloads
    Uploads
    Twice the glass of the new Nightforce. That 3-18 is one of Leupold’s best they’ve made IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    I will say that I’m willing to try the Eotech 5-25 with the H59 on a new build coming up. It has some illumination and it’s fairly compact which is helpful with a clip on NVD.
    They are horrific. Another LOW optic with the same shortcomings as the NF NXS. Poor illumination and inches of change with the eye box depending on zoom levels.