Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
Sounds like your mount lacks the elevation it claims to have? Not being Mr Obvious, I'm not the long range shooter any of you are, so I'm just trying to follow along. Am I tracking, or completely off base?

Also, have you tried another mount of known relative accuracy, with or whiteout elevation to see if the optic works as it should?
I have not tried another mount. If I can get a hold of a 34 mm mount or rings it would solve a lot questions. I didn't want to run out and buy some mount just to test once.

As far as elevation goes the scope definitely has it. Total travel from up to down is advertised as 31mils but in reality it has more than that. Actual is a bit over 32mils from top to bottom.

When you zero it it should be around the 15 or 16 mil mark within about a mil. That is one of the things Vortex physically tested on the optic. On their gun it was like 3 or 4 moa (about 1 mil) from the optical center which is where it should be. That was with plain scope rings without any cant built in. But as soon as I put it on my rifle the zero goes to the 21 mil mark.

If you do the math 15 moa (the cant built into the scope) should be about 4.5 mils. So if they were zeroed at 15.5 mils with my mount I should be zeroed at about 11 mils.

The other test they did was a tracking test which means when you click the knob how do you know one mil is really one mil? They basically have a setup at a known distance with hash marks on a wall or pole or something at exactly the right places. If you dial up 10 mils and if your optic doesn't match up then something is wrong. The one they sent me passed all the tests they did, both tracking and zero.

Depending on where things line up I might not use the riser. I bought it on a whim because I had one on my 10/22 and at the time I hadn't picked out an optic yet. If I need it I can use it.

That said when I zeroed the optic with 22 MOA riser it should add about 6.5 mils so when I took it off you would think the point of zero would change by that amount. But it didn't. It only went down by a little over 1 mil.

Something is really weird going on here.