Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,519
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Question about AR lower finishes

    I bought a brand new lower from CMT and the inside of it was not fully finished with whatever coating they use. Because of the location of it cosmetically I am not worried about it, but I am wondering if there are any other 'possible' things I should worry about such as corrosion or whatever? If so I will need to contact them.

    The rest if the finish looks good. Functionally I don't think I should be concerned about it but I am throwing this out there just in case and for 2nd opinions.

    Name:  IMG_20211020_152249836.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  3.28 MB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Florida - Gulf Side
    Posts
    2,111
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    2
    Just my $0.02, but corrosion shouldn't be a problem with an aluminum receiver. Birchwood Casey makes an Aluminum Black that will "stain" the unfinished portion. I would use that, if it were me. You could send it back, and they will make it right, but you're out of the usage while the fix is being done. Hope this helps.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,519
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Just my $0.02, but corrosion shouldn't be a problem with an aluminum receiver. Birchwood Casey makes an Aluminum Black that will "stain" the unfinished portion. I would use that, if it were me. You could send it back, and they will make it right, but you're out of the usage while the fix is being done. Hope this helps.
    If it won't corrode then it's in a place that will be inside of the gun. Everything else appears good.

    This is probably my 10th order (or more) from them. I will email them just to see what they say.

    Not super concerned other than it's a $250 lower. These things happen. Once the gun is together though you cannot see it even if you separate the upper and lower.

    I don't know jack squat about metals though so I want to make sure corrosion won't be an issue.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,148
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    If it were mine I’d do what jerry said. Dab in the aluminum black, let dry and repeat until dark enough. It works great on engraved SBR lettering.
    “What in the world is a moderate interpretation of a constitutional text? Halfway between what it says and what we'd like it to say?" -Antonin Scalia

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    14,932
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    You should send them a photo and have them replace it. You paid a premium price and you should expect it to be perfect.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,519
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You should send them a photo and have them replace it. You paid a premium price and you should expect it to be perfect.
    Yes. This. For the price I should get a premium product. I already emailed them with a photo. We will see what they say.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Unfree State (MD)
    Posts
    2,708
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Trapped air when submerged in the anodizing tank. That location and inside the bolt catch pocket are 2 common areas. No implications other than appearance. These days I'm not sure I'd consider CMT's pricing as premium for a billet lower. Premium for forged these days, maybe.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,758
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Seems like that counts as a cosmetic blemish that should not be sold at full retail.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Unfree State (MD)
    Posts
    2,708
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    I guess after paying more for forged Knight's and LMT's with a much worse finish than I've ever seen from CMT I'm more realistic about incidental finish imperfections than most.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,519
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Seems like that counts as a cosmetic blemish that should not be sold at full retail.
    This is the crux of the issue. I paid full retail for it. I am sure it will work just fine but it should have been put in the scratch and dent sale bin.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    14,932
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Trapped air when submerged in the anodizing tank. That location and inside the bolt catch pocket are 2 common areas. No implications other than appearance. These days I'm not sure I'd consider CMT's pricing as premium for a billet lower. Premium for forged these days, maybe.
    Personally, I'd just use it, but you and I aren't most people, you have dozens of lowers and a few hundred dollars is a minor purchase to you. This isn't the norm though. I don't blame people for wanting a first quality lower when they pay retail for one.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,714
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I guess after paying more for forged Knight's and LMT's with a much worse finish than I've ever seen from CMT I'm more realistic about incidental finish imperfections than most.
    I hear ya there. My KAC lower looked like Chuck Norris borrowed it for target practice and he wiped out the Taliban during his lunch break. Although not a fan of fake MOJO, I am a fan of MOJO, even it got picked up in the plush KAC storage dumpster.. errr vault before somebody decided it was cheaper to sell them than melt them down.. and I'mgood with that.

    But yeah, if it bugs you, the price should buy you the right to be satisfied with your purchase, regardless of where, or how much. That's consumerism.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,519
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    I heard back from CMT. They said they do not consider this as a blemish because it will be completely covered up and that it will not degrade over time.

    They said this happened because of a bubble forming during the dying part of the anodizing process and it will not degrade over time. "The surface is anodized with no concern for corrosion"

    Overall I think it will never be seen again and if it won't degrade then whatever.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,068
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Wait, so even though you paid for it, and there was a definite and irrefutable issue with its finish, they’re not going to refinish it or do… anything for you because they don’t consider it blemished, even though it is, just because of its location?

    Man, way to get your company smote from the consideration pile with all the other myriad options available…
    -One Nation, Under God

    -"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,519
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Wait, so even though you paid for it, and there was a definite and irrefutable issue with its finish, they’re not going to refinish it or do… anything for you because they don’t consider it blemished, even though it is, just because of its location?

    Man, way to get your company smote from the consideration pile with all the other myriad options available…
    I'm kinda torn. On one hand it will never be seen by anyone unless I change triggers. For all practical intents and purposes it won't matter. This is assuming they are correct regarding there won't be any corrosion which I have no basis to say otherwise.

    On the other hand this is not a $79 receiver. That should not be that way. Not at all.

    I'm kinda going back and forth. Is it a small issue? Yes. But at the same time it's not cool to sell it at full price when it is flawed.

    This is my 4th CMT build and they have been really nice people so I'm reluctant to be an asshole about it, especially since in the end it won't matter and it will be covered up forever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •